Vocational students and summer holidays

Lemongirl

What do vocational students generally do over the summer to keep up their training?  Dd is finishing her first year.  As of yet they haven't been given any guidance about this (busy with upcoming show).  

Dd has been thinking about a summer school but they seem to have an upper age limit of 18!

My DD had a daily routine (run, pilates, strengthening, cardio) then some classes, she did 1 or 2 summer intensives in June and July (they do run in all ages) and then break. I made sure she spends quality time with the family (as she is overseas student). 

I made sure she does intensives that are intensive and not holiday dance camps so they are worth the money and not wasting time.

If she wanted, she did some top up classes with Danceworks. 

August mainly doing nothing.

Edited by FlexyNexy
Spelling error

Over the years Dd and Ds did quite a few different summer intensive/schools between them. I think their most enjoyable were the ones that were less prestigious and competitive. There were some that sadly favoured certain vocational school students. I remember watching a class attended by Dd that the very revered teacher only engaged with the pupils that attended the school she taught at. This was disappointing 😞 Dd had a two week scholarship that year but didn’t go back again as she found the environment stressful 😢 

Top of my list of requirements would be inclusivity, friendly, fun with lots of opportunities for everyone to perform.  Everything they sadly don’t experience at vocational school. It’s not all about progression and correction, they get that day in day out at school. It’s about rediscovering the passion and love of dance and performing. A couple of weeks of this over the summer is enough. Rest and refuelling is important and spending time with family and friends. 
Our top two would be Dar Danse for international and MBS for home 🥰

• Like 5

I would add our recommendation for Prague as International - challenging in studio but fun days out with the group, everyne super friendly.
I would second MBS - we only did their Easter, but I bet Summer would be same quality. My DD loved being away from home and sharing room with new friends.

13 minutes ago, Lemongirl said:

Is MBS just ballet?  

MBS includes ballet, pas de deux, solos and contemporary. Classes are by age. There are lots of guest teachers who teach rep and solos. Everyone gets to perform in the sharing of work at the end of the course. It has a supportive, inclusive, family atmosphere. My Ds and Dd did pas de deux together for the first time at MBS ☺️ There is a mixture of vocational and non vocational students. No red carpet rubbish 🤣 Their aim is to share their common love of dance and nurture a learning environment that is for all no matter what the level, grade or ability. Both mine have attended Prague and YBSS but MBS was by far their favourite. 
Also there is an opportunity to be awarded a scholarship for the following year. 

Edited by cotes du rhone !
  • Like 2

we could never afford Prague - ironic as Ds' first job was in the Czech Republic.  International was, however, generally cheaper and gave better life skills.  Not practicable this year sadly, musical DD has just turned down a fantastic summer school in France for this reason (100 Euros total cost inc. food and accommodation - this is our level).

The main purpose of the summer was rest, cycling, swimming and growing !  Every year when he stopped dancing he grew and I genuinely believe the opportunity to grow physically  without otherwise stressing his body was more beneficial than any course could have been.  Also sustained family time so that conversations could be had without it being on the way to/from/during other events.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

MBS includes ballet, pas de deux, solos and contemporary. Classes are by age. There are lots of guest teachers who teach rep and solos. Everyone gets to perform in the sharing of work at the end of the course. It has a supportive, inclusive, family atmosphere. My Ds and Dd did pas de deux together for the first time at MBS ☺️ There is a mixture of vocational and non vocational students. No red carpet rubbish 🤣 Their aim is to share their common love of dance and nurture a learning environment that is for all no matter what the level, grade or ability. Both mine have attended Prague and YBSS but MBS was by far their favourite. 
Also there is an opportunity to be awarded a scholarship for the following year. 

This sounds great!  Thank you.

• Like 1

When my dd was at vocational school (post 16) she used to do one 2 week intensive during the summer hols, and sometimes a few classes with local teachers just before going back.  Generally summer was about resting the body and mind, relaxing, earning a bit of cash.  

When she was working on ships they usually at at least a month (often longer) between contracts with the expectation that they would rest during that time.  Obviously resting includes rushing round the UK (sometimes round the world) catching up with friends!  

• Like 2

Thank you, excellent advice.  Dd wouldn't want to dance the whole summer but it would be nice to do a week or two.

MBS does seem to be quite ballet focussed, dd not keen on pointe work!  She mainly does contemporary and jazz.

Another good summer school is the Ballet Cymru in Newport. They have a variety of age groups. They announced a live summer school last week and today was the last day for entries, but its probably still worth enquiring if there are places left or a waiting list.  

Seniors, 17 plus, get to dance at professional level with their pre-professional and company dancers.  

My DD really enjoyed this course and even the online one last year. 

• 1 month later...

Just want to say thank you for the recommendation of Malvern Ballet Seminars.....dd attended last week and loved it, and we were also able to go and watch their show in the theatre. Was brilliant what they achieved in their time there. She wants to go again!!!

• Like 4