The Duke of Edinburgh RIP

bridiem

So sad. Prince Philip has always been there. I feel so sorry for The Queen and for all the Royal Family and I give thanks for his life of service and his contribution in so many areas. In many ways like Prince Albert, but for so much longer. May he rest in peace.

• Like 12

The Queen is really going to miss him, among the continuing problems with Harry and Andrew. As she said years ago, he's been her strength and stay for decades. We've been fortunate to have him there to give her so much support.

Looks as though he's going to have a very scaled-back funeral. 

https://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/news-grants/news/item/187-hrh-the-duke-of-edinburgh

On another note, this article confirms that Prince Philip's titles have been inherited by the Prince of Wales. When Charles becomes king and the titles revert to the crown, they'll be available for regranting. Since it was stated at the time of Edward and Sophie's marriage that he would eventually be given the dukedom, that's how it's going to happen. He was never going to inherit it directly, although a lot of people seem to think otherwise.

Edited by Melody
  • Like 4

Yes, I feel very sad for Her Majesty, especially her having mourned both her sister and her Mother in quick succession.  Prince Philip was a complex man with a traumatic upbringing and has been The Queen’s mainstay for so long.  May he rest in peace.

• Like 5

It is a sad day for the Royal Family and the Queen in particular a huge loss for her in such a long partnership. 
He is one of those public figures who has been around for the whole of my lifetime (1947) and even though controversial at times I think he will be missed by more than his immediate family. 

• Like 3

One of the most important legacies Prince Philip leaves is his Duke of Edinburgh Awards. It may not be widely known that Ballet Classes are recognised as an activity by the DoE Awards. I have been proud to act as an Assessor over many years for my pupils entering Bronze, Silver and Gold Awards. They used classes, exams and performances for the "Physical Section" and one used Pointework for her "Skills Section".

• Like 6

Well, the funeral was hard to watch, with the Queen sitting alone like that. They did their best, given the covid restrictions, and I'm glad they didn't try to make an exception and fill the church, but my goodness that was a heartbreaking occasion in a way that the Queen Mother's funeral really wasn't.

• Like 3