Information on RCS gratefully received !

Ballet4Boyz

Hi everyone, 

I was wondering if anyone with information on RCS would please post what you know. We’d be grateful for any information (good, bad & in between) . I’m thinking along the lines of student experiences & happiness during their period of study, accommodation options, pastoral care, graduation destinations etc etc. 
Our DS has been offered a place !

Thanks very much in advance 

Hello Ballet4Boyz, I've added a couple of tags which, if you click on them, will take you to earlier threads.  

It may also be worth doing a general search in Doing Dance on RCS as mention of the school pops up on some other threads too.

Matt Topliss, a soloist at Northern Ballet, graduated into the company from RCS.

• Like 2

I can speak from our own experience of the culture in the junior conservatoire and the staff we have worked with and can honestly say that it is a really nurturing environment. DD absolutely loves it and wants to do the modern ballet course in the future. Many of the same teachers work on the degree course. We also know students who completed the BA Modern Ballet course and have ended up moving on to work in companies after graduation and have had really positive experiences. Well done to your DS for his offer!  

• Like 2

I’m at RCS (Masters & not in person so different perspective  ) it’s honestly great. The overall ethos & support is fab & there is loads of thought into eg student counselling, feeling a sense belonging etc. Ballet students have also still been training in person during the latest lockdown (covid secure & within guidelines!) the whole approach to covid has been so well thought out & organised too. 

I live in Glasgow too & it’s a great place, the accommodation is really close to RCS. The studios are huge & gorgeous. They have good links to Scottish Ballet too (eg students used in Christmas shows etc) 

• Like 2

Hi!

My DD is currently in her first year at RCS and is loving it. She has been fortunate enough to continue training throughout lockdown (tiny classes, masks etc). What attracted us to RCS was the pastoral care and class sizes. She raves about the quality of the teaching and how much she’s learned. What is amazing is the collaborative work they do with other departments-music, drama, set design. The accommodation is fantastic as well and a short walk from the studios. As a mother who was concerned about her going away at 16, we all couldn’t be happier! Well done to your son!

• Like 6

Would have said the same thing, and my son graduated 5 years ago (gulp!)  - I think to have two parents with the same experience over the years speaks volumes. Many of the same staff too - Fabrice is amazing!

Incidentally, I only heard about RCS through this forum - it is such an amazing source of information for us non ballet parents.  

• Like 3

My son is in first year and really enjoying it. Small class sizes with plenty of corrections etc seemed to be a strong reason for choosing it over the others. Also seems to be geared to what companies are looking for with plenty contemporary too. Accommodation superb - look at Base Glasgow on the Fresh Living website. Get way more for your £ than London schools. And again due to the small classes, there is good support from Staff pastorally who get to know all the students. Glasgow is a lovely city too- my son is enjoying his city experience having lived in a small village before. He’s made lots of friends on the course and on other courses at RCS. Good luck with whatever you decide. 

• Like 2

Thanks everyone ..... it’s proving to be such a difficult decision but one he realises how lucky he is to have a choice between two wonderful schools. 
At the moment as parents - we are leaning towards one school and our DS is leaning towards the other ..... typical !  Both schools are fabulous though and we’ve received positive feedback for both from current students & parents - which is lovely ! 
Thanks again to all of you for your advice ...... this forum and its members have been invaluable in steering us through his journey for the last 6 years x

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ballet4Boyz said:

Thanks everyone ..... it’s proving to be such a difficult decision but one he realises how lucky he is to have a choice between two wonderful schools. 
At the moment as parents - we are leaning towards one school and our DS is leaning towards the other ..... typical !  Both schools are fabulous though and we’ve received positive feedback for both from current students & parents - which is lovely ! 
Thanks again to all of you for your advice ...... this forum and its members have been invaluable in steering us through his journey for the last 6 years x

This was us last year when ds had four to choose from including RCS. In the end we let him make the final choice. He didn’t choose the one I would have - I would have chosen RCS - but he’s very happy where he is.