Birmingham Royal Ballet - 2021/22 Season Wishlist

I'd love to see the ballets that were already scheduled for 2020 and lost due to the pandemic:

Acosta's Don Quixote

Romeo and Juliet

SDB's Cinderella

plus La Fille Mal Gardée, Far from the Madding Crowd, Cyrano

For mixed programmes I would like to see:

Two Pigeons

The Dream

Scènes de Ballet

Symphonic Variations

Facade

Take 5

Shakespeare Suite

Orpheus Suite

Concerto 

Solitaire

Lazuli Sky

Majisimo

Western Symphony

Apollo

Symphony in 3 Movements

• Like 6

My thoughts when I saw Jan had started this thread were that my wishlist would be oddly similar to the one already going for the Royal Ballet, for some reason.  Plus I agree with most of the ones Jan has posted :) 

• Like 1

One of my favorite ballets of all time is Alberto Mendez’ Tarde en la Siesta, a Tudoresque work for four ladies, to romantic piano melodies by Lecuona. Given Acosta’s   wish to share his heritage - as with recent streams of Majisimo and Our Waltzes - maybe this would be a nice addition to the rep, to showcase ballerinas? 

p.s. I seem to recall that Acosta included this ballet in the rep one of his early tour groups...at Sadlers Wells? 

p.s.s. Tudoresque is nice...and what about a Tudor or two?

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 1

At the BRB gala ( which didn't actually include much dance) we were told that Carlos Acosta's Don Q will be shown soon but will be different in some ways from the RB version so that it is specific to BRB (no details given as to how it will differ). There's still no indication that the company's wonderful rep will be shown, other than what has already been announced. There was a quiz that included Fille and Apollo, but that was devised by Paul Murphy as it was a musical quiz so it doesn't necessarily indicate that any of the Balanchine ballets will be shown, or even Ashton.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SheilaC said:

At the BRB gala ( which didn't actually include much dance) we were told that Carlos Acosta's Don Q will be shown soon but will be different in some ways from the RB version so that it is specific to BRB (no details given as to how it will differ). There's still no indication that the company's wonderful rep will be shown, other than what has already been announced. There was a quiz that included Fille and Apollo, but that was devised by Paul Murphy as it was a musical quiz so it doesn't necessarily indicate that any of the Balanchine ballets will be shown, or even Ashton.

Thanks for the reportlet on the gala Sheila.  

Don Q will have to change in one respect if no other - the set will have to be dramatically reduced in size to fit in to the Hippodrome.  I assume that means some of the action will have to change too because of this.

• Like 2