Royal Opera House Christmas offerings

Guest oncnp

ROH has announced Christmas/Holiday offerings....and no mention of streaming this year's Nutcracker

https://www.roh.org.uk/news/royal-opera-house-unveils-biggest-programme-of-streamed-ballet-and-opera-in-its-history-just-in-time-for-christmas

Ballet edit: (sorry about the spacing)

Our programme of online broadcasts, available via the ROH website

--  Frederick Ashton’s Enigma Variations (2019),

-        Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland (2017).

Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without The Nutcracker, and we are excited to present archive productions of this festive favourite in cinemas, in association with Scala Radio, Marquee TV, Sky Arts, Now TV, and on-demand through the ROH’s new partnership with Netflix.

Both The Royal Opera and The Royal Ballet’s all-star gala performances from September and October of this year will also be available to watch on BBC Four.

A raft of recent productions from both artistic companies will also be available for audiences to watch on Now TV.

-        Nutcracker (2016);

-        The Sleeping Beauty (2017);

-        Frederick Ashton mixed programme including The Dream, Symphonic Variations and Marguerite and Armand (2017);

-        Will Tuckett’s sumptuous presentation of the life and loves of Queen Elizabeth I, in Elizabeth (2016);

-        Kenneth MacMillan’s in Anastasia (2016).

On Sky Arts, audiences can watch The Royal Ballet in:

-        The Nutcracker (2016);

Giselle (2017);

-        Frederick Ashton mixed programme including The Dream, Symphonic Variations and Marguerite and Armand (2017);

-        Anastasia (2016); 

-        The Sleeping Beauty (2017)

-        Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland (2017).

via Marquee TV. World-class productions from The Royal Ballet including

-        The Nutcracker (2016),

-        Rhapsody (2016) also

YouTube for free this Christmas: The Royal Ballet's Don Quixote

Edited by oncnp

“Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without the Nutcracker” - well yes, but as it’s sold out AND the only cinemas near me are all closed until next year, I was pinning my hopes on a live stream.  We have two different casts on DVD but it’s not the same as watching it “live”.  I do hope the ROH reconsiders.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Anna C said:

“Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without the Nutcracker” - well yes, but as it’s sold out AND the only cinemas near me are all closed until next year, I was pinning my hopes on a live stream.  We have two different casts on DVD but it’s not the same as watching it “live”.  I do hope the ROH reconsiders.

The ROH website still has 'camera filming' for the December 22 performance.  Maybe all is not yet lost?

• Like 2

They have said on IG they are going to stream it. Of course the ROH can change its mind but maybe they are still just working out the logistics  and aren't ready to announce it yet 🤞

Edited by oncnp

May - SkyArts is now available as a terrestrial channel (channel 11 on Freeview) to watch "at the time" but it is not available on the standard catchup.

I'm a Netflix novice so I can't find listings.  Assuming Netflix is the same worldwide I know that the Debbie Allen documentary about the Hot Chocolate Nutcracker coming up.  There is also a series called Move and one about a young dancer from India (the name of which escapes me).  There's a series about SAB and a drama series.  News about some of these are included in the Links forum.

Hopefully someone with more Netflix nouse will be able to chip in.

• Like 1

So, BBC4 and Sky Arts are available on Freeview (unless you want SA HD);

NowTV requires you to have some some of USB stick or something?

Marquee TV is an online subscription?

YouTube is fairly obvious :)

Have I got all those right?  Complicated, and working out the overlap and what you can do without will be fun.

Most of the Sky Arts programmes have already been on (since it went Freeview).

SkyArts is also showing Australian Ballet Cinderella (Ratmansky version) on Tues 15 Dec 7am. I have this tv guide kindly sent to me by Janite which I have saved as a favourite and click on about once a week. It's set to a ballet search but it doesn't include Netflix. I thought it did but it turned out to be Nickelodean!

https://www.tvguide.co.uk/mobile/search.asp?title=ballet

SkyArts has been very disappointing lately with little ballet anyway and nothing not shown before and Christmas is just more of the same. As the only dedicated Arts channel (unless you count BBC4) I thought they might have done better for Christmas. There must be many frustrated arts lovers out there with very little to watch just waiting for an Arts channel to come along and give them something to enjoy.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, oncnp said:

ROH has announced Christmas/Holiday offerings....and no mention of streaming this year's Nutcracker

via Marquee TV. World-class productions from The Royal Ballet including

-        The Nutcracker (2016),

-        Rhapsody (2016) also

Just FYI - also on Marquee is a version of Winter's Tale that didn't make it to DVD - not world class enough I guess - with  Cuthberson/ Hirano/Lamb/Muntagirov/Morera which it has allowed me to watch for free

Edited by oncnp

Yes, I was thinking only the other day that all Sky Arts' highfalutin' statements about supporting the population during the pandemic as being a reason why they transferred to Freeview haven't really amounted to much.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Just FYI - also on Marquee is a version of Winter's Tale that didn't make it to DVD - not world class enough I guess - with  Cuthberson/ Hirano/Lamb/Muntagirov/Morera which it has allowed me to watch for free

Yes, I really like this version as it happens - it's the main reason I have marquee tv (since I have most of their other ballets on DVD). A bit frustrating to have to keep paying to be able to watch it, but it doesn't seem to be available anywhere else. As well as being a really nice cast and a ballet I enjoy, it's the only filmed ballet so far where I've been in the audience. And it was effectively the performance that started my regular trips to the ROH!

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, DanJL said:

Yes, I really like this version as it happens - it's the main reason I have marquee tv (since I have most of their other ballets on DVD). A bit frustrating to have to keep paying to be able to watch it, but it doesn't seem to be available anywhere else. As well as being a really nice cast and a ballet I enjoy, it's the only filmed ballet so far where I've been in the audience. And it was effectively the performance that started my regular trips to the ROH!

It's not marked as free but try signing out of Marquee and then trying to play it.  I found it by accident.

2 hours ago, alison said:

So, BBC4 and Sky Arts are available on Freeview (unless you want SA HD);

NowTV requires you to have some some of USB stick or something?

Marquee TV is an online subscription?

YouTube is fairly obvious :)

Have I got all those right?  Complicated, and working out the overlap and what you can do without will be fun.

Most of the Sky Arts programmes have already been on (since it went Freeview).

Now TV is a sort of USB stick that fits into a HDMI connection on your TV.  It effectively gives you smart tv capability without the need to upgrade.  Without paying for the passes that are available (I do the Entertainment pass) it allows you to watch the main catchup facilities such as iPlayer, ITV Hub etc.  You can also watch YouTube and Vimeo.  I've found it very useful and I only started paying for the entertainment pass to see NB's Casanova a couple of years ago!!

I think that Amazon Fire sticks and Apple TV offer similar facilities but how do you choose which one best suits your needs?

• Like 1

Going through the Radio Times yesterday I noticed the Boxing day screening of the October concert is only scheduled for 90 minutes (7pm until 8.30) whereas the actual concert was 3 hours. While hoping that a lot of Anita Rani may be edited out even that can't account for 90 minutes. I wondered if they may not be showing Elite Syncopations as there is no mention of either it or of Yasmine in the list of principals performing. Also, the orchestra received their applause after Marianela and Vadim did the Don Q pas de deux so it could be a natural place to stop if they wanted to (but why should they?)

All the other performances have been cut down to fit convenient BBC schedules (I'm still disappointed not to have got the full Song of the Earth back in the summer), so I suppose it was optimistic to think this one would be any different :(

Re SkyArts Christmas ballets the good news is there is a ballet a day from Sat 19th to 27 Dec. The bad news is they've all been shown before with one possible exception. That exception is:- 

Rumpelstiltskin  by LORENT Ballet. Sat 19th Dec 11am until 12.30pm. It's not actually showing as a new performance so it could have been on before and I've just missed it. The other ballets are as reported previously all with unspecified casting.

Sunday 20th Dec Moulin Rouge 6am

12 noon RB Nutcracker 

Mon 21 Dec          6am RB Giselle 

Tues 22 Dec         6am Ashton triple

Wed 23 Dec         6am Anastasia

Thurs 24 Dec       6am RB Sleeping Beauty

Fri 25 Dec             6am RB Nutcracker

Sat 26 Dec           6am RB Alice

Sun 27 Dc            10am Matthew Bournes Swan Lake

9pm Cats: the musical (not ballet but hopefully Gillian Lynne's choreography.)

• Like 2

So, no repeat of the Rhapsody/Two Pigeons programme many of us missed on the day Sky Arts transferred to Freeview because the changeover didn't happen quickly enough?  That's a shame.

Was it always the way that SA used to repeat things so regularly?  I don't remember registering it in the past.  Seems as though they've only got a couple of months' worth of dance works!

23 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Going through the Radio Times yesterday I noticed the Boxing day screening of the October concert is only scheduled for 90 minutes (7pm until 8.30) whereas the actual concert was 3 hours. While hoping that a lot of Anita Rani may be edited out even that can't account for 90 minutes. I wondered if they may not be showing Elite Syncopations as there is no mention of either it or of Yasmine in the list of principals performing. Also, the orchestra received their applause after Marianela and Vadim did the Don Q pas de deux so it could be a natural place to stop if they wanted to (but why should they?)

The description on the BBC 4 page includes "Elite" though        https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000qpj1

"From the ultra-contemporary Untouchable by Hofesh Schechter to the Hollywood glitz of Carousel, there’s something for everyone in this glorious gala. The stellar partnership of Marianela Nuñez and Vadim Muntagirov tackle one of the great classical pas de deux from Don Quixote, and the larger forces of the whole company are seen in Elite Syncopations. Natalia Osipova dances the famous Dying Swan, and choreographers including Wayne McGregor, Christopher Wheeldon and Cathy Marston rub shoulders with Frederick Ashton and Kenneth Macmillan."

• 2 weeks later...