Reading the small print

annaliesey

I can’t and won’t name a particular school but I advise anyone with a child going off to vocational school to read the small print buried in the enormous documents that relate to safeguarding 

one document I have read actually allows for romantic relationships between students and teaching staff (Although it is “discouraged”) provided it is declared via a form so that the school can take steps to avoid abuse of power ie; marking, auditioning for productions, etc 

• Like 3

@annalieseythat is shocking. Thank you for raising this.

My university is updating their policy on staff-student relationships, are are advising staff that no relationship beyond appropriate professional care & warmth - even of friendship - is appropriate, at all levels, from undergraduate through to PhD. The policy gives further examples of what we should not do - such as employing our students to babysit or clean for us.

I really like this policy - it makes it very clear what a pedagogical relationship should be, and allows everyone to set boundaries. It doesn't mean we're automatons - we're all human, and we have feelings. But it is a staff responsibility to control those feelings, not act on them, and to dissuade students from attaching themselves to us in inappropriate ways.

• Like 10

12 hours ago, annaliesey said:

one document I have read actually allows for romantic relationships between students and teaching staff (Although it is “discouraged”) provided it is declared via a form so that the school can take steps to avoid abuse of power ie; marking, auditioning for productions, etc 

I can't imagine why any school would want to put anything like that in their policy documents. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, taxi4ballet said:

I can't imagine why any school would want to put anything like that in their policy documents. 

With such a small age gap between students and teaching staff, one can only assume that they anticipated such a situation arising (albeit innocently perhaps) and could then defend themselves if it went awry..... 😡

Not that I am in any way condoning teacher/student relationships when you have students of 17/18 and teachers of 21/22 you can see how this can arise. 

When I was at school many moons ago one of our young teachers was in the same tennis club as one of our older girls.  

When she left school after her A levels he resigned and left at Christmas.  He explained that they had got to know each other through tennis but it would not have been appropriate to have a relationship until she finished school.  The next thing we heard they had got married and when he retired as a head teacher from somewhere there was an article in the paper.  They were still married 40 years later.

• Like 3

Whilst I am not going to defend that particular institution I have read that policy document and am certain it is meant to refer to existing relationships such as family relationships rather than romantic ones. Financial relationships are also mentioned within the document. I’m not sure what that means but I’m guessing it could relate to sponsorships etc that might already be in place. 

It is very poorly worded in that respect but elsewhere in the policy it is clear that no romantic relationships must occur. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

He explained that they had got to know each other through tennis but it would not have been appropriate to have a relationship until she finished school.

And that's the right appropriate professional & ethical way to do it.

In ALL circumstances, the power imbalance between teacher & student outweighs any other consideration - even if they are the same age. The old "But she really loves me" doesn't cut it either. True love waits.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Peony said:

I think If the student is under 18 it’s illegal (not judged as consensual because of the power imbalance) , after 18 it’s not ethical but not illegal but I’m not a lawyer! 

i think you are correct , certainly   sex  between a teacher and  an otherwise 'legal'  student  aged 16-18  is  specifically  criminalised in the UK  and casued  the uniformed  youth organisations   a fair amount of sagas with age groups ( killed  15/ 16 - 25  provision  and had  rigid enforcement of a divide at 18 between  service user  and  'staff' )