Preparation for Yr 7 Auditions?

Rocco

Hi, I don't know any other mums whose children do ballet so I hope you don't mind me asking here. My son has got SWL for RBS junior associates two years in a row now and we're wondering whether he should audition for any vocational schools, and if so, how he can best prepare. One great thing about getting into JA's would have been excellent preparation for auditions! He does another associate scheme but they offer no help or guidance in this area at all. How can you assess if your child has the ability to make it worthwhile giving it a go? And do other children have private lessons beforehand? Thanks in advance for any help. I feel totally at sea! The last thing I would ever want to do is set him up to fail. 

Normally RBS and Elmhurst have audtion prep type days. My Dd went to Elmhursts audition insight day at the end of Sept and booking opened in August for it (it booked up quick though!). It was worth going to that as she got a tour of the school and took part in an audition style lesson which we got to watch (you can then see the standard).  As soon as she got in to the car she wrote down the exercises and stretches she did and practiced, and then found that her first round and final were practically the same as that!! 

RBS do an audition insight in October but we didnt bother with that being a JA. 

She says that auditions at both were very similar. Always be prepared for a bit of improv as the final task too.

My dd has never had a private lesson in her life.....but she follows plenty on Instagram who do and were having almost daily ones leading up to finals!! Just be prepared for the competition. I hate audition days!!!

Edited by sunrise81

3 hours ago, Rocco said:

Hi, I don't know any other mums whose children do ballet so I hope you don't mind me asking here. My son has got SWL for RBS junior associates two years in a row now and we're wondering whether he should audition for any vocational schools, and if so, how he can best prepare. One great thing about getting into JA's would have been excellent preparation for auditions! He does another associate scheme but they offer no help or guidance in this area at all. How can you assess if your child has the ability to make it worthwhile giving it a go? And do other children have private lessons beforehand? Thanks in advance for any help. I feel totally at sea! The last thing I would ever want to do is set him up to fail. 

The difficulty is that it seems a complete mystery as to what the schools are looking for. Both my dc did lower school auditions and we’re successful, and my oldest has now done upper school ones too, and having seen who gets chosen for each school I’m no clearer what any of them are looking for! Neither of them were JAs, but did do other associate programmes, neither had private lessons, nor did any of their close friends. 

As a previous poster says, they’re looking for potential, not what they can do. 

• Like 1

Thanks Pas De Quatre and Farawaydancer. Farawaydancer  - did anyone recommend your children should audition for lower schools? I don't want to think that we're absurd for even trying! It's a huge relief that private lessons aren't necessary as that would be a big financial hit for us. I've been told that my son 'ticks most boxes' but needs to build his core strength.

3 hours ago, Rocco said:

Thanks Pas De Quatre and Farawaydancer. Farawaydancer  - did anyone recommend your children should audition for lower schools? I don't want to think that we're absurd for even trying! It's a huge relief that private lessons aren't necessary as that would be a big financial hit for us. I've been told that my son 'ticks most boxes' but needs to build his core strength.

Teachers asked if they were applying, but didn’t recommend. We treated it very much as a fun thing to do, give it a go and see what happens. Carried on planning for local schools etc. 

As for core strength, lots of 10 year olds haven’t got this yet - my 16 yr old has only really got this sorted in the last 18 months or so, and it’s an ongoing battle!

@Rocco - I think the key question is, does your son want to be a ballet dancer?  And is he happy to go away to boarding school next year to achieve that dream?  

If so I would say it is worth giving auditions a try - if you don't you will never know.  Getting the level of training that you need to become a ballet dancer is much harder if they stay at home than if they go to vocational school, but vocational school isn't for everyone.

Go into it with open eyes and an open mind.  Having got SWL for JA's he obviously has something.  But there is lots of completion  for places and for funding so you both have to be prepared for the fact it might not work out, so as other posters have said - treat the auditions as a fun day out rather than a big deal.  Keep your ambition high but expectations realistic.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for all the replies - really helpful. I definitely think we’ll also treat it as a fun thing to do, and assume he’ll be going to a local school! 

I didn’t think of that re the core strength and 10yrs olds but excellent point! There must be something that looks ‘weaker’ in his posture if it was picked up though. He does have joint hypermobility syndrome so that could mean he would fail a physio assessment anyway! 

I don’t think he or we would want him to board - we live in London so a few places to try for, all with very realistic expectations. He knows that with WL pretty much every place is taken by a JA, so is lowering his own expectations! 

It’s also interesting that even those children who got offers at lower schools aren’t necessarily advised to apply. I always assumed if you didn’t get the nod there was probably a reason, and that when my son’s associate scheme head is saying ‘definitely give it a go’ she just wants to spare our feelings! 

On 14/07/2020 at 07:01, glowlight said:

@Rocco - I think the key question is, does your son want to be a ballet dancer?  And is he happy to go away to boarding school next year to achieve that dream?  

If so I would say it is worth giving auditions a try - if you don't you will never know.  Getting the level of training that you need to become a ballet dancer is much harder if they stay at home than if they go to vocational school, but vocational school isn't for everyone.

Go into it with open eyes and an open mind.  Having got SWL for JA's he obviously has something.  But there is lots of completion  for places and for funding so you both have to be prepared for the fact it might not work out, so as other posters have said - treat the auditions as a fun day out rather than a big deal.  Keep your ambition high but expectations realistic.

Just wondering - how do you know if a ten year old really wants to be a dancer? My DD is keen for WL but I’m not sure she wants the end goal!

19 hours ago, Rocco said:

I didn’t think of that re the core strength and 10yrs olds but excellent point! There must be something that looks ‘weaker’ in his posture if it was picked up though. He does have joint hypermobility syndrome so that could mean he would fail a physio assessment anyway! 

Both of mine have hypermobility syndrome and physios were fine. Just looking at the majority of their classes I would guess it’s not uncommon. 

I would.imagine there is a fair few with hypermobility issues... my daughter is highly hypermobile with hyperextended knees elbows etc. It means she has the desirable sway back knees but obviously also means more prone to injury...I guess it depends to what degree they are affected? 

1 hour ago, Farawaydancer said:

Both of mine have hypermobility syndrome and physios were fine. Just looking at the majority of their classes I would guess it’s not 

8 hours ago, Whiteduvet said:

Just wondering - how do you know if a ten year old really wants to be a dancer? My DD is keen for WL but I’m not sure she wants the end goal!

That is a very good question.  

At 10 they can have little idea of what life as a dancer will be like, and maybe that is why there are actually so many who start down the vocational route but don't become dancers.

What I was trying to say in my first response is that the desire to dance and to do it to a professional level should come from the child, rather than the parent or teacher.  But as parents and teachers we can guide them and show them what opportunities there are.  

Oh I was so hoping you’d have the magic answer...!

DD says she’d love to go go WL and be a dancer but she has no real idea of the reality of a dancer’s life, including the many, many rejections and sacrifices it entails. And I want to support her but also ensure she knows the truth. Such a difficult balance. 

I think the schools talk to them in very realistic terms about ballet as a career path. Boarding at vocational school is an amazing experience in itself, if it is what the child wants to do, and even if it doesn’t lead to a career it still enriches their life while they are there and gives them a wealth of transferable skills. If your DD wants to apply, and has the resilience to handle any disappointment that may come her way, and you are able to make it work if she is successful, you could try and see what happens.

Edited by SissonneDoublee

1 hour ago, Whiteduvet said:

Oh I was so hoping you’d have the magic answer...!

DD says she’d love to go go WL and be a dancer but she has no real idea of the reality of a dancer’s life, including the many, many rejections and sacrifices it entails. And I want to support her but also ensure she knows the truth. Such a difficult balance. 

If it's what she says she wants I think that is as close as you can get.  There may be more regrets later down the line if she doesn't give it a shot.

Firstly how old is your dd?
My advice would be, go to WL open day, or any other vocational school open days (when they are running again!), do full day workshops and boarding summer schools to see if she likes the all day dancing and sleeping away from home! I know it’s a bit difficult this year but hopefully you have time in your favour before you start auditioning!

Good luck 🍀

• Like 1

Sadly there's no time to experience any summer schools etc if in year 6. Such a shame!

Thanks for the reassurance re hypermobility - I know that hypermobility is often desirable in ballet but I think joint hypermobility is a different kettle of fish. I worry because my older daughter started suffering from terrible joint pain/ weakness in all her joints when she was 14 and (not that she ever did dance) and there's no way she could ever be a ballet dancer as it can be quite disabling. Hoping against hope that my son doesn't suffer as badly as he goes through puberty but no way of knowing. I did take him to a local physio before lockdown who said most of his areas of hypermobility could be hopefully improved a lot with strengthening exercises, but that the main worry would be the hypermobility in his big toes! She said there isn't any bone there that could be strengthened, and that it would make it difficult when it came to landing after jumps etc. But she didn't say it was a deal breaker. Especially with boys I think, so much depends on how they grow during adolescence. 

4 minutes ago, Rocco said:

Sadly there's no time to experience any summer schools etc if in year 6. Such a shame!

Thanks for the reassurance re hypermobility - I know that hypermobility is often desirable in ballet but I think joint hypermobility is a different kettle of fish. I worry because my older daughter started suffering from terrible joint pain/ weakness in all her joints when she was 14 and (not that she ever did dance) and there's no way she could ever be a ballet dancer as it can be quite disabling. Hoping against hope that my son doesn't suffer as badly as he goes through puberty but no way of knowing. I did take him to a local physio before lockdown who said most of his areas of hypermobility could be hopefully improved a lot with strengthening exercises, but that the main worry would be the hypermobility in his big toes! She said there isn't any bone there that could be strengthened, and that it would make it difficult when it came to landing after jumps etc. But she didn't say it was a deal breaker. Especially with boys I think, so much depends on how they grow during adolescence. 

There might not be bones to be strengthened (sounds odd coming from a physio!) but there are definitely muscles to be strengthened in his feet! If my ds hadn’t done a lot of strength training through ballet I imagine his hypermobility would cause him a lot of pain. It certainly does in his hands. 

Thanks Faraway, I've seen what a massive difference lots of strengthening (she has a personal trainer now) has made to my daughter, but she still has pain and weakness in her wrists and ankles. 

Definitely something about the big toe that worried her! I guess it's not like wrists or ankles where you can build up the muscles around the joints in order to support them