Tring CBA and Ballet Boost Differences

BalletBoysDad

Hello, please excuse me if a same or similar thread exists. I’m just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or knowledge on comparisons between Tring CBA and Ballet Boost, if indeed it’s fair to make a comparison. This would be for my DS who is applying for Y5. He’s been accepted for BBA London via video audition which is excellent news. However, Tring CBA audition is now on early September. I believe they both run on the same days. It feels like a very long time to wait for a Tring CBA audition, which is entirely understandable. But if there was success with Tring, it’s incredibly short notice to make a decision. 

Of course, there is no guarantee of success at audition for Tring CBA, it’s purely hypothetical. 

I’m just wondering how other people might have thought about a similar situation where a place is available now, but there’s a long wait to audition for something that runs on the same dates. 

Hi, my DD (now year 5) is doing both, but she is Mids in BBA, so there is not much clash at this moment (well before lockdown). Both are excellent programmes with very nurturing and caring teachers, both with the focus on correct technique, performance and artistry.

BBA has an excellent online clases during the lockdown.

So, I guess it depends on timing (if he will be BBA junior or mids) and it might be slightly different for boys (as there is a boys class in Tring, whereas mixed class at BBA). 

27 minutes ago, Mum of unicorn dancer said:

Hi, my DD (now year 5) is doing both, but she is Mids in BBA, so there is not much clash at this moment (well before lockdown). Both are excellent programmes with very nurturing and caring teachers, both with the focus on correct technique, performance and artistry.

BBA has an excellent online clases during the lockdown.

So, I guess it depends on timing (if he will be BBA junior or mids) and it might be slightly different for boys (as there is a boys class in Tring, whereas mixed class at BBA). 

Thank you so much for the info, it’s really appreciated. Great to know that both programmes have a ‘nurturing’ aspect, as this is something my son really values and needs at this age. (I appreciate things may become more strict as time goes by, but he’s receptive to a kind fostering environment). He’s 9 in July so will be joining Y5.

The dates published online for BBA London and Tring CBA both appear to clash at this moment in time, running on the same Sundays. So (extremely hypothetically) there’s the possibility of having to choose between the two. 

I am very interested in this thread too. My DD currently does CBA and we are wondering whether it’s worth auditioning for Ballet Boost too, our main concern being the travel time between the two venues. @Mum of unicorn dancer, how long do you have to travel between the classes? We finish Tring at 12:15 and have been told the likely start time for my DD at Ballet Boost if she were successful would be 1:30, therefore only giving 1 hour 15 mins for a journey that looks like it’s an hour on a good day🥴 Is this similar to the time you have between the two? How do you find the journey? 

@BalletBoysDad whilst we only have first hand experience of Tring CBA at the moment, I can’t recommend it enough. The staff all seem very friendly and welcoming and my daughter really enjoys her classes there. We are still fairly new to the scheme but it’s one of the things we have both really missed during lockdown and we can’t wait to return in September. 

4 minutes ago, PurplePirouette said:

I am very interested in this thread too. My DD currently does CBA and we are wondering whether it’s worth auditioning for Ballet Boost too, our main concern being the travel time between the two venues. @Mum of unicorn dancer, how long do you have to travel between the classes? We finish Tring at 12:15 and have been told the likely start time for my DD at Ballet Boost if she were successful would be 1:30, therefore only giving 1 hour 15 mins for a journey that looks like it’s an hour on a good day🥴 Is this similar to the time you have between the two? How do you find the journey? 

@BalletBoysDad whilst we only have first hand experience of Tring CBA at the moment, I can’t recommend it enough. The staff all seem very friendly and welcoming and my daughter really enjoys her classes there. We are still fairly new to the scheme but it’s one of the things we have both really missed during lockdown and we can’t wait to return in September. 

I’m very interested to know the class times between the two programmes too, and I’m at pains to say hypothetically, if it would be possible to do both on the same day. My son dances with ENB juniors and his tutor speaks extremely positively about BBA. He also dances with Zoe Epstein who is his tutor at Central School of Ballet. I believe she is the London BBA tutor for the younger dancers too.

For life reasons, we’re about to move to the midlands, so all the classes and programmes that were on our doorstep are now going to involve much more planning and journey logistics. It’s frustrating to see that a number of Sunday programmes clash. Clearly, the chances of being accepted for all are slim, but it’s difficult to juggle so much uncertainty, especially when each programme seems to have their own expertise and benefit.

Congratulation to your son @BalletBoysDad

As for travel time between Tring and BBA in Rambert @PurplePirouette: the traffic is usually quite quiet- we are leaving Tring at 12.30 (after quick change of leotards) and usually arriving at 13.20 (her class at BBA was starting at 13.40). We might have an issue this year if she is moved up (start at 12.45 and more overlaps), but BBA is very understanding (have been late on couple occasions due to audition or exam practice). We still intend to do both at this moment, but we live close to Rambert. There might be an issue in future, but we cross that bridge when it is a problem. 

My dd was ENBS juniors too, but as they closed in Chelsea last year she was wait listed and could not continue there any more. 

Zoe is an excellent dance teacher and yes she teaches two groups (Junior 1a between 10-12.15 and 2a Mids  13.40- 16.00). Other teachers in older BBA groups are amazing too. Furthermore, care and support from BBA you received during lockdown is exemplary. 

Edited by Mum of unicorn dancer
Wrong information

Two associate schemes? And on one day? And at such young ages? I know excellent training is one in a series of keys helpful to unlock future porontial but so is a happy childhood & family life. Best focus surely should be in finding an excellent local teacher to work with as close to home as possible (I think one mentioned moving to Midlands so am sure lots on forum can recommend teachers) 

I write this with no intention to criticise anyone, merely I know that sometimes it’s easy to get swept along on a magical carpet ride where it feels as if the mantra is a constant must do more/must do better/must belong to prestige schemes/ must do what X child does/ must also do what Y child does etc etc

Just my own very humble musings.....

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Mum of unicorn dancer said:

Congratulation to your son @BalletBoysDad

As for travel time between Tring and BBA in Rambert @PurplePirouette: the traffic is usually quite quiet- we are leaving Tring at 12.30 (after quick change of leotards) and usually arriving at 13.20 (her class at BBA was starting at 13.40). We might have an issue this year if she is moved up (start at 12.45 and more overlaps), but BBA is very understanding (have been late on couple occasions due to audition or exam practice). We still intend to do both at this moment, but we live close to Rambert. There might be an issue in future, but we cross that bridge when it is a problem. 

My dd was ENBS juniors too, but as they closed in Chelsea last year she was wait listed and could not continue there any more. 

Zoe is an excellent dance teacher and yes she teaches two groups (Junior 1a between 10-12.15 and 2a Mids  13.40- 16.00). Other teachers in older BBA groups are amazing too. Furthermore, care and support from BBA you received during lockdown is exemplary. 

Thank you @Mum of unicorn dancer for so much information, it’s really appreciated. I didn’t know a huge amount about BBA until Miss Rebecca Peters at ENB Juniors encouraged us to think about applying. I think she may have participated in some of their online lockdown classes. Personally I think she’s a wonderful teacher, so I trust her recommendation implicitly. She is also incredibly kind, and speaks about BBA as being kind, focused and nurturing which I know my son would really benefit from. 

Do you think it’s fair to say that both BBA and Tring CBA are relatively comparable programmes? Does your DD find the content similar or one more challenging than the other? 

Thanks again! 

16 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

Two associate schemes? And on one day? And at such young ages? I know excellent training is one in a series of keys helpful to unlock future porontial but so is a happy childhood & family life. Best focus surely should be in finding an excellent local teacher to work with as close to home as possible (I think one mentioned moving to Midlands so am sure lots on forum can recommend teachers) 

I write this with no intention to criticise anyone, merely I know that sometimes it’s easy to get swept along on a magical carpet ride where it feels as if the mantra is a constant must do more/must do better/must belong to prestige schemes/ must do what X child does/ must also do what Y child does etc etc

Just my own very humble musings.....

Hello @Peanut68 I’ve thought about that myself. Originally I was thinking if you were in the situation where you could do both, which one would you choose. I wasn’t specifically thinking about it in terms of doing two in one day. But I’ve had some interesting experiences in the past that have challenged my view.

My son loves ballet, and that’s always been the primary driver of what we do. Unfortunately he doesn’t have a particularly happy school life, so Ballet is an opportunity to be around like minded children and is definitely a ‘happy place’ for him. 

Over the last 2-3 years we’ve swapped some classes he didn’t like and replaced them with others. He found himself doing 5 classes a week, which we through the was too many, but he loved doing them all and would have done 7 if he could.

When we move to the midlands, I don’t think he will be doing so many weekday ballet classes, and I’m genuinely hoping he develops more school friendships. But maybe it’s plausible to do two associate classes in one day, if he wanted to do it. Especially as they’re ‘one week on-one week off’. I guess it depends on how demanding and tiring they are as I imagine it’s counterproductive if it’s physically too much. 

• Like 2

Hi BalletBoysDad & thank you for your response....& for not taking any offence in words I proffered from a distance! 

Its great that your son loves ballet & has found a ‘happy place’ - especially important for our youngsters of whom so many just do not find that (& worse) in day to day school situations....And the many activities & disciplines he leans through ballet & dance - physical & mental & relationship building - will help him build a lifelong foundation of multi transferable skills plus the immense joy of dance, music & artistry!

He is lucky to have  supportive family (& teachers too it sounds like) so I wish you all well! But remember to maintain life/ballet balance as it can start to be a bit like a chore dictating everyone in a family’s timetables/finances etc....

(I did also forget that often not all associate schemes are weekly but may well be fortnightly or even just once a month)

Explore all avenues & be guided by where your son feels happiest....& of course getting 👍🏻👍🏻 up & feedback from those on this forum with first hand experience will be useful too! 

(My DD had happy experience of Tring CBA back in the day....many years ago now....but I do recall it caused family agro with the costs of the course & travel & time away with resultant impact on rest of family life....& pretty sure it was just once a month then!) 

We parents can just source & research & try put opportunities their way to nurture & support our offspring as best we can! 

The future is theirs.....

Good luck all! 

Edited by Peanut68
Add
  • Like 1

For what it’s worth , my opinion - Quality over quantity and most definitely a happy, rounded , rested child too. It’s so easy to get carried away as a parent and fail to notice if the pleasure has gone for the child, as the pressure mounts for them to ‘achieve’ .. or meet expectations etc ... and of course every family /child will be different . It’s a long journey.. pace the journey. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Peanut68 said:

Hi BalletBoysDad & thank you for your response....& for not taking any offence in words I proffered from a distance! 

Its great that your son loves ballet & has found a ‘happy place’ - especially important for our youngsters of whom so many just do not find that (& worse) in day to day school situations....And the many activities & disciplines he leans through ballet & dance - physical & mental & relationship building - will help him build a lifelong foundation of multi transferable skills plus the immense joy of dance, music & artistry!

He is lucky to have  supportive family (& teachers too it sounds like) so I wish you all well! But remember to maintain life/ballet balance as it can start to be a bit like a chore dictating everyone in a family’s timetables/finances etc....

(I did also forget that often not all associate schemes are weekly but may well be fortnightly or even just once a month)

Explore all avenues & be guided by where your son feels happiest....& of course getting 👍🏻👍🏻 up & feedback from those on this forum with first hand experience will be useful too! 

(My DD had happy experience of Tring CBA back in the day....many years ago now....but I do recall it caused family agro with the costs of the course & travel & time away with resultant impact on rest of family life....& pretty sure it was just once a month then!) 

We parents can just source & research & try put opportunities their way to nurture & support our offspring as best we can! 

The future is theirs.....

Good luck all! 

Thank you. I don’t take any offence at all. I think it’s good to be gently challenged, as it helps you reaffirm in your own mind the reasons for doing what your doing (or planning). 

it anything, our life in London is very much dictated by a few too many classes, and I see the associate classes as an excellent opportunity to do slightly fewer classes but for longer periods of time, rather than almost daily classes that require a sprint across town, and several hours out for just an hours class. Like you say, I agree it has knock on consequences for the family and children’s rest time. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Coffeequeen said:

For what it’s worth , my opinion - Quality over quantity and most definitely a happy, rounded , rested child too. It’s so easy to get carried away as a parent and fail to notice if the pleasure has gone for the child, as the pressure mounts for them to ‘achieve’ .. or meet expectations etc ... and of course every family /child will be different . It’s a long journey.. pace the journey. 

I totally agree.

We’ve tried a few classes in London that on paper look and sound excellent, but they didn’t work for my son. There was a particular class that started out well, but over time the teaching style started to become borderline aggressive, towards very young children. Then they wanted to do shows and it was impossible to keep up with the schedule. It’s impact was hugely negative. I could see immediately how the joy drained from his face when leaving class. 

Likewise, I can always see how happy he is when he leaves his ENB class on a high. We’ve had to trial (and leave) a few classes to arrive at the selection were at.

So we are definitely now focusing on quality over quantity, and finding time for other activities, including plenty of rest (parents included! :)

• Like 2

Good luck to you and your DS. Our dds had experience of training at both Tring CBA (DD1) and Ballet Boost (both) and received excellent teachng at both. It's such a shame that this year the auditions have to be by video as I think it really helps to be able to get the feel of a place when you are physically there. DD1 absolutely loved the light and airy studios at Tring and for us it was an easier drive, albeit further. Going from Tring to Rambert and then back up to the Midlands two Sundays a month is a big commitment - your DS is a lucky boy 😃

1 hour ago, MAK said:

Good luck to you and your DS. Our dds had experience of training at both Tring CBA (DD1) and Ballet Boost (both) and received excellent teachng at both. It's such a shame that this year the auditions have to be by video as I think it really helps to be able to get the feel of a place when you are physically there. DD1 absolutely loved the light and airy studios at Tring and for us it was an easier drive, albeit further. Going from Tring to Rambert and then back up to the Midlands two Sundays a month is a big commitment - your DS is a lucky boy 😃

Thanks for your kind words, and the info is really appreciated. Yes, I completely agree, a live audition gives you a feeling for a place, something that digital auditions leave you researching and guessing. I’ve heard nothing but good things about BBA and Tring sounds much the same. The audition for Tring will be live, as they’re planning to hold them on 5th September, with term starting on the 13th. I presume this will be the same day BBA starts. Dare I ask, (with huge respect to both programmes) your DD that did both, would she have had a preference if she had only been able to do one? 

I’m sure anything will be a huge commitment, but at the moment (well, pre lockdown) it was amazing how much time we spent out the house. We had a few too many classes where there wasn’t quite enough time to go home first, so we spent vast amounts of time in Pret waiting for classes to start. Even if it’s an epic journey, I imagine (Or hoping) that we will be using our time more economically. 

My son started Tring CBA when he was 8. He is now 11 and moving onto a full time vocational school, but will always look fondly on his time at CBA. They are extremely welcoming and friendly and are always there to talk to if you have any concerns or questions. The studios are lovely and bright. A nice waiting area for parents with tea, coffee, biscuits and wi-fi. The all boys younger class is 10 - 11.15am first class, then a 15 min break, and then 11.30 - 12.15. The male teacher is excellent and my son says some of the exercises are very similar to his RBS JA class. Also being all boys there is a nice focus on boys work. At the end of every term parents can watch the ballet class and after the children get to experience a guest teacher teaching another style. We've had contemporary, jazz , MT, flamenco. We have no experience of ballet boost but have heard good things about that programme too. Anyway, our experience of Tring has been nothing but positive. Good luck with your training. X

• Like 1

Not sure where you are moving to in midlands but I can fully recommend Graham Fletcher based in Leicestershire, especially as he is so brilliant with boys! He does weekly classes through his school Dance Activate as well as a monthly associate class. 

My DD is also audtioning for CBA and BB (new Stoke branch - an hour or so up the M1 from us) though in the unlikely event of getting into both, will have to choose one (probably Tring as she hopes to try for a place from year 7). 

It's our first year on the audition round this year and finding it so hard given that some happened just before lockdown, others are by video and JAs and Tring aren't til the autumn term 😫 We've just turned down one scheme so real chance we might not end up with anything next year! So feel your pain!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BellaF said:

Not sure where you are moving to in midlands but I can fully recommend Graham Fletcher based in Leicestershire, especially as he is so brilliant with boys! He does weekly classes through his school Dance Activate as well as a monthly associate class. 

My DD is also audtioning for CBA and BB (new Stoke branch - an hour or so up the M1 from us) though in the unlikely event of getting into both, will have to choose one (probably Tring as she hopes to try for a place from year 7). 

It's our first year on the audition round this year and finding it so hard given that some happened just before lockdown, others are by video and JAs and Tring aren't til the autumn term 😫 We've just turned down one scheme so real chance we might not end up with anything next year! So feel your pain!

We’re moving to Lichfield in Staffordshire. It’s handy for us as Birmingham is only half an hour away. With that in mind, we applied to RB JA’s in Birmingham and Elmhurst Young Dancers. If we don’t have any success with those, I shall continue to take him to his Saturday class in London at ENB Juniors as it’s the highlight of his week. 

The Tring and BBA applications are to find something for every other Sunday, as our move will mean my DS has fewer weekday classes, so it kind of balances things out. I didn’t know there was a BBA stoke option at the time of applying, but we have lived in London 4 years so my son will enjoy coming here frequently after we move.

Do you mind me asking what year your DS is applying for? Last year, we only applied for RB JA’s and my son was a very young 7 on the day he auditioned. He was given a SWL place that never turned into anything, but I think it’s motivated him to really try his best this year. 

But waiting until September for Tring auditions and possibly later for Elmhurst and RB JA’s feels ages away! 

1 hour ago, Balletmumlife said:

My son started Tring CBA when he was 8. He is now 11 and moving onto a full time vocational school, but will always look fondly on his time at CBA. They are extremely welcoming and friendly and are always there to talk to if you have any concerns or questions. The studios are lovely and bright. A nice waiting area for parents with tea, coffee, biscuits and wi-fi. The all boys younger class is 10 - 11.15am first class, then a 15 min break, and then 11.30 - 12.15. The male teacher is excellent and my son says some of the exercises are very similar to his RBS JA class. Also being all boys there is a nice focus on boys work. At the end of every term parents can watch the ballet class and after the children get to experience a guest teacher teaching another style. We've had contemporary, jazz , MT, flamenco. We have no experience of ballet boost but have heard good things about that programme too. Anyway, our experience of Tring has been nothing but positive. Good luck with your training. X

Thank you so much, that’s really valuable info! My son currently has a boys at Central School of Ballet on a Friday, he loves it and then boys all have a great rapport with their teacher. Sadly, that’s one of the classes that we’re going to have to leave when we move. I didn’t realise that Tring CBA boys train separately. That’s really interesting. Of course, we’re taking nothing for granted and are thrilled to have the place with BBA. But it’s great to hear about the specific boys aspect at Tring, thank you! 

Do you mind me asking if your DS started as a RBS JA at the same time as Tring? 

We missed out on JAs last year as my son had what sounded a dreadful audition, lost his nerve, slipped over, and made it onto SWL. But it’s amazing how much they grow and develop in a year. 

43 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

We’re moving to Lichfield in Staffordshire. It’s handy for us as Birmingham is only half an hour away. With that in mind, we applied to RB JA’s in Birmingham and Elmhurst Young Dancers. If we don’t have any success with those, I shall continue to take him to his Saturday class in London at ENB Juniors as it’s the highlight of his week. 

The Tring and BBA applications are to find something for every other Sunday, as our move will mean my DS has fewer weekday classes, so it kind of balances things out. I didn’t know there was a BBA stoke option at the time of applying, but we have lived in London 4 years so my son will enjoy coming here frequently after we move.

Do you mind me asking what year your DS is applying for? Last year, we only applied for RB JA’s and my son was a very young 7 on the day he auditioned. He was given a SWL place that never turned into anything, but I think it’s motivated him to really try his best this year. 

But waiting until September for Tring auditions and possibly later for Elmhurst and RB JA’s feels ages away! 

I have a daughter auditioning for a year 5 place (just happen to know that Graham Fletcher is a brilliant teacher for boys, even though DD doesn't dance with him) 🙂 

Sounds like we're following a very similar path! DD's teacher has suggested she auditions for RBS JAs, Elmhurst YDs and Tring CBA and I've decided to add on Ballet Boost as a back up. The wait though 😫

Well done to your DS for getting SWL last year! Big achievement in itself!

3 minutes ago, BellaF said:

I have a daughter auditioning for a year 5 place (just happen to know that Graham Fletcher is a brilliant teacher for boys, even though DD doesn't dance with him) 🙂 

Sounds like we're following a very similar path! DD's teacher has suggested she auditions for RBS JAs, Elmhurst YDs and Tring CBA and I've decided to add on Ballet Boost as a back up. The wait though 😫

Well done to your DS for getting SWL last year! Big achievement in itself!

Yes we’re on the same path :) 

I don’t really over think or over analyse the RBS JA’s anymore. I remember my sons first audition. They were lined up with numbers in age order. He was the 23rd youngest out of 24 boys. He told me they did everything in rows, oldest in the front row, middle in the middle and youngest at the back (that’s how he interpreted it). He was so small by comparison but he’s grown so much in a year, physically, but also in dedication and confidence. 

He enjoys so much other ballet I don’t like him to think of it as the be all and end all, though they’re all clearly selective and competitive. 

Have you applied to BBA by video? We were lucky as, pre lockdown we had already made a video for a summer programme. I would have found making a video in lockdown a touch stressful! 

So this is our first year of applying for multiple associate classes, so it feels very new. 

Tring I think do also have another programme caed Kick start for Boys....not 100% sure of content but think it’s possibly a monthly ofr once a term day with ballet & other dance genres & a mentoring approach? Possibly even free but I might be wrong....Am sure someone on forum will know more from having a DS attend! There’s also a boys only bursary (Paul Watson bursary?) that I think can help fund  boys at Tring ‘extras’ like short courses/days of dance....

3 hours ago, BalletBoysDad said:

Thanks for your kind words, and the info is really appreciated. Yes, I completely agree, a live audition gives you a feeling for a place, something that digital auditions leave you researching and guessing. I’ve heard nothing but good things about BBA and Tring sounds much the same. The audition for Tring will be live, as they’re planning to hold them on 5th September, with term starting on the 13th. I presume this will be the same day BBA starts. Dare I ask, (with huge respect to both programmes) your DD that did both, would she have had a preference if she had only been able to do one? 

I’m sure anything will be a huge commitment, but at the moment (well, pre lockdown) it was amazing how much time we spent out the house. We had a few too many classes where there wasn’t quite enough time to go home first, so we spent vast amounts of time in Pret waiting for classes to start. Even if it’s an epic journey, I imagine (Or hoping) that we will be using our time more economically. 

DD1 has now taken a step back and dances locally only but as her much loved teacher from BBA now heads up the dance faculty at Tring I think I would have to say the latter.

18 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

Yes we’re on the same path :) 

I don’t really over think or over analyse the RBS JA’s anymore. I remember my sons first audition. They were lined up with numbers in age order. He was the 23rd youngest out of 24 boys. He told me they did everything in rows, oldest in the front row, middle in the middle and youngest at the back (that’s how he interpreted it). He was so small by comparison but he’s grown so much in a year, physically, but also in dedication and confidence. 

He enjoys so much other ballet I don’t like him to think of it as the be all and end all, though they’re all clearly selective and competitive. 

Have you applied to BBA by video? We were lucky as, pre lockdown we had already made a video for a summer programme. I would have found making a video in lockdown a touch stressful! 

So this is our first year of applying for multiple associate classes, so it feels very new. 

Not got round to doing the video for BB yet! 

Definitely the right attitude to have re JAs - who knows exactly what they're looking for and lots of other, quality training around.

A couple of boys from DD's dance school do the Tring Kickstart programme and really enjoy it. From the limited amount I know I think you can join at numerous points throughout the year and can be a gateway to CBA.

17 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

Tring I think do also have another programme caed Kick start for Boys....not 100% sure of content but think it’s possibly a monthly ofr once a term day with ballet & other dance genres & a mentoring approach? Possibly even free but I might be wrong....Am sure someone on forum will know more from having a DS attend! There’s also a boys only bursary (Paul Watson bursary?) that I think can help fund  boys at Tring ‘extras’ like short courses/days of dance....

I did read about that one too. I think it runs on alternate Sundays to the CBA programme. It’s sounds really interesting programme, but it would mean dancing every Sunday. 

2 minutes ago, BellaF said:

Not got round to doing the video for BB yet! 

Definitely the right attitude to have re JAs - who knows exactly what they're looking for and lots of other, quality training around.

A couple of boys from DD's dance school do the Tring Kickstart programme and really enjoy it. From the limited amount I know I think you can join at numerous points throughout the year and can be a gateway to CBA.

My son got a yes for BBA London, Y5, but as mentioned we were lucky to already have a video. His video was very simple, and only around 6 or 7 minutes which did initially make me worried. There were a couple of hesitant moments, but my feeling (and feedback from his ENB teacher) is that they’re looking for a combination or present skills but more importantly potential, so it sounds very kind and fair as a process.

9 hours ago, BalletBoysDad said:

Thank you so much, that’s really valuable info! My son currently has a boys at Central School of Ballet on a Friday, he loves it and then boys all have a great rapport with their teacher. Sadly, that’s one of the classes that we’re going to have to leave when we move. I didn’t realise that Tring CBA boys train separately. That’s really interesting. Of course, we’re taking nothing for granted and are thrilled to have the place with BBA. But it’s great to hear about the specific boys aspect at Tring, thank you! 

Do you mind me asking if your DS started as a RBS JA at the same time as Tring? 

We missed out on JAs last year as my son had what sounded a dreadful audition, lost his nerve, slipped over, and made it onto SWL. But it’s amazing how much they grow and develop in a year. 

My son started as a Year 4 JA in the September, then started at Tring as a Year 4 in the January.

They do change a lot in a year, plus in our experience they don't take many Year 4's. More seem to enter the JA programme as a Year 5. Good luck with your auditions! X

2 hours ago, Balletmumlife said:

My son started as a Year 4 JA in the September, then started at Tring as a Year 4 in the January.

They do change a lot in a year, plus in our experience they don't take many Year 4's. More seem to enter the JA programme as a Year 5. Good luck with your auditions! X

Thank you very much, kind words and good advice is always appreciated :)

@BalletBoysDad my son started with BBA and JA’s for Y6.

This was his first step outside his local Saturday dance classes.  

He is now an MA and lots of his RB peers do CBA. My son has also been offered a place at Tring CBA seniors for September. He was lucky he didn’t have to audition.

The main difference with BBA is class sizes and lack of boys in the lower groups.

CBA is a specialist boys group and has much smaller numbers.

BBA have been absolutely wonderful with my son, I can’t speak highly enough about it.

However If your son is offered Tring I would opt for their CBA Boys classes for your son.

Also someone else said it further back in the comments.

For a Y5 age child, two Associate programs in one day with travel in the middle is a big ask physically and emotionally for them IMHO.

My son is older now and dances a lot, but at Y5, age 9/10, one Associate class would have been plenty, (especially if his local dance school is good) with local dance school lessons, plus full-time school.

He can always increase them as he gets older. There are always plenty to choose from.

1 hour ago, Motomum said:

@BalletBoysDad my son started with BBA and JA’s for Y6.

This was his first step outside his local Saturday dance classes.  

He is now an MA and lots of his RB peers do CBA. My son has also been offered a place at Tring CBA seniors for September. He was lucky he didn’t have to audition.

The main difference with BBA is class sizes and lack of boys in the lower groups.

CBA is a specialist boys group and has much smaller numbers.

BBA have been absolutely wonderful with my son, I can’t speak highly enough about it.

However If your son is offered Tring I would opt for their CBA Boys classes for your son.

Also someone else said it further back in the comments.

For a Y5 age child, two Associate programs in one day with travel in the middle is a big ask physically and emotionally for them IMHO.

My son is older now and dances a lot, but at Y5, age 9/10, one Associate class would have been plenty, (especially if his local dance school is good) with local dance school lessons, plus full-time school.

He can always increase them as he gets older. There are always plenty to choose from.

Thanks for your kind reply, it’s really appreciated to hear all this.

I’ve  heard overwhelmingly positive things about BBA, so I’m thrilled he has this opportunity. I was talking to his ENB teacher today who had been teaching some BBA classes via Zoom and she said she was really impressed with how much talent and potential her BBA students have, so that was great to hear, 

But I’m always really interested to hear about boys CBA experience. 

Clearly, we’re taking nothing for granted, any audition and application is challenging.

But it’s Interesting to have knowledge of other people’s experience if he were successful at audition, as with the auditions being 5th September they’ll require very swift decisions if it was a ‘yes’.

You’ve just mentioned a really interesting point: class sizes. May I ask, do you know how many boys tend to be in a CBA class? Is it comparable to a JA class? 

Given that there are the boys who start in Y4, and ‘rise’ through the years, I’ve always (cynically) presumed that there are very few spaces for Y5 and Y6 applicants, although I wouldn’t know how each year group ‘expands’ to accommodate a few new applicants. 

If he were successful at audition, I personally agree two programmes in one day would be too much. But because we’re moving, I don’t yet know what local classes will be available in our soon to be new home town.

One of the classes we shall be leaving in London is a boys-only class at Central School of Ballet. My son makes a lot of progress in that class, so I really value hearing other people’s experiences of boys programmes.

Thanks again! 

@BalletBoysDad yes the JA and CBA class sizes are comparable.

The JA year groups only expand if someone leaves. So a child can in theory be auditioning where there isn’t a place at all. You won’t know.

You are right that there are fewer places in Y5/6 JA’s. My son got one of two Y6 places in the Centre he applied for.

There are 8 boys and 8 girls in each JA class.

CBA is about 12 per class.

16 minutes ago, Motomum said:

@BalletBoysDad yes the JA and CBA class sizes are comparable.

The JA year groups only expand if someone leaves. So a child can in theory be auditioning where there isn’t a place at all. You won’t know.

You are right that there are fewer places in Y5/6 JA’s. My son got one of two Y6 places in the Centre he applied for.

There are 8 boys and 8 girls in each JA class.

CBA is about 12 per class.

Thank you. 

I do seem to remember asking the Royal Ballet politely what’s the point in applying to centres where in theory there’s not even a place if all year 4s rise to year 5, and all year 5s rise to year 6. 

I think they said they expand each group by several (or a few)  places per year. But I’ve never heard anyone validate that claim. I would presume if you don’t get in at year 4, the odds are more than stacked against you?