In conversation with Sander Blommaert

Extract from Elmhurst Press Release:

‘In conversation with Sander Blommaert’ invites renowned names from the ballet world to be interviewed on his Instagram Live on Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings at 7pm. Many dance illuminati have agreed to join Sander ‘in conversation’ – coming up in the next few months, are: Mara Galeazzi (17 April); Céline Gittens (20 April); Edward Watson (24 April); Christopher Wheeldon (27 April); Gary Avis (29 April); Elmhurst’s Principal Jessica Wheeler (1 May); César Morales (4 May); and Aaron Robinson (8 May).

• Like 2

On 15/04/2020 at 11:46, Jan McNulty said:

Extract from Elmhurst Press Release:

‘In conversation with Sander Blommaert’ invites renowned names from the ballet world to be interviewed on his Instagram Live on Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings at 7pm. Many dance illuminati have agreed to join Sander ‘in conversation’ – coming up in the next few months, are: Mara Galeazzi (17 April); Céline Gittens (20 April); Edward Watson (24 April); Christopher Wheeldon (27 April); Gary Avis (29 April); Elmhurst’s Principal Jessica Wheeler (1 May); César Morales (4 May); and Aaron Robinson (8 May).

I was most annoyed to miss Mara Galeazzi last night - I was still in the queue at the supermarket :(   Presumably you need to have subscribed to Sander's feed to access these?  And they are only available "live"?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alison said:

I was most annoyed to miss Mara Galeazzi last night - I was still in the queue at the supermarket :(   Presumably you need to have subscribed to Sander's feed to access these?  And they are only available "live"?

I use IG to share my photographs but I'm not an expert on IG stories.  I think you need to follow Sander Blommaert to see them and they are available for 24 hours so Mara G's interview should be there for another couple of hours.

17 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

I use IG to share my photographs but I'm not an expert on IG stories.  I think you need to follow Sander Blommaert to see them and they are available for 24 hours so Mara G's interview should be there for another couple of hours.

Do you  know how you see it for the next 24 hours, I only saw half and then it disappeared. 

40 minutes ago, Janite said:

Do you  know how you see it for the next 24 hours, I only saw half and then it disappeared. 

I think they literally drop off after 24 hours.  The other thing is that IG has a time limit on IG films.  Sometimes a little symbol appears and if you click on that you can watch the whole thing on IGTV.  (This aspect of IG is all new to me!).

• 3 weeks later...

This may have been posted elsewhere on the forum already but former Royal Ballet First Artist Sander Blommaert is holding 1 hour long in conversation instagram live sessions with guests from the ballet world on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays every week at 7pm. You can access this through his Instagram page by clicking the "Live" button and these are saved for 24 hours on his page if you can't make it for 7pm. Viewers can submit questions in advance for any of the interviewees on Sander's Instagram post announcing his guests. 

This week will feature James Hay, Leanne Benjamin and Sian Murphy.

Ive posted his Instagram handle and relevant post for information below:

• Like 1

I like Alison wanted to watch this but struggled to get access to the 'live' button on a PC.  (For work reasons my phone has security controls that do not allow me access to that same there.)  I just couldn't find a way in.  Finally I typed a question into google ...   This is the answer I received:

Why can't I watch Instagram live on my computer?
The answer is yes and no. The first thing you need to know is that logging into your Instagram account on a web browser on your PC or Mac won't be of any help. Instead, you'll need to download an extension. Chrome IG Story used to be the go-to method for watching Instagram Live videos, but it's no longer available.

After that I just gave up ... 

I only add this for people having similar struggles.  If you do find an effective way around it I would love to know how to do it.  Much thanks.  

I just found this video and have tried to add this ... Maybe it will work!!  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

I like Alison wanted to watch this but struggled to get access to the 'live' button on a PC.  (For work reasons my phone has security controls that do not allow me access to that same there.)  I just couldn't find a way in.  Finally I typed a question into google ...   This is the answer I received:

Why can't I watch Instagram live on my computer?
The answer is yes and no. The first thing you need to know is that logging into your Instagram account on a web browser on your PC or Mac won't be of any help. Instead, you'll need to download an extension. Chrome IG Story used to be the go-to method for watching Instagram Live videos, but it's no longer available.

After that I just gave up ... 

I only add this for people having similar struggles.  If you do find an effective way around it I would love to know how to do it.  Much thanks.  

There is a Chrome extension called IG Stories for Instagram  - not sure if it works yet but it might help.

4 minutes ago, MJW said:

There is a Chrome extension called IG Stories for Instagram  - not sure if it works yet but it might help.

Thanks so, MJW.  I typed that in ... The closest I could come was something called 'Save IG Live Story' ... It says I can 'watch and download' ... Is that the same??  Forgive my ignorance.  Guess I will have to wait and see ... if I can see ... if you get my drift ... 

You only seem to be able to watch IG stories properly on the App on a smart phone or tablet.  I've tried several versions of the App on my laptop and none of them seem to support IGTV (or even allow you to upload your photographs).

Thanks for letting me know, Jan.  You are most kind.  I fear because of the nature of my work I will just - of necessity - have to miss this one.  That saddens me .. but there you go.   

Edited by Bruce Wall

After having spent ages trying to get in to the Ed Watson conversation via my phone, I gave up and got in about 15 minutes late via my laptop (Firefox, I presume).  Then the audio failed ... but it is possible.

I then spent another goodness knows how long (in the Sainsbury's queue) trying to get Instagram to allow me to log in so I could view the Gary Avis one, before giving up in disgust.

I have managed to watch Instagram live classes on my PC. You need IG stories for Chrome (no idea what you might need to do for other browsers). I used this link which gives you instructions on how to load the Chrome Add-on https://sociallynina.com/instagram-web-how-to-watch-instagram-live-and-instagram-stories-from-your-laptop-pc-or-desktop/

I've no idea who Nina is, but grateful for her assistance in this case. You need to scroll down to the heading "Install IG stories for Instagram".

As Instagram is designed as a mobile App, it's really clunky on the PC, but I am able to do Sander's classes and watch at least some of his conversations with various people from the ballet world.

Once I managed to get on to Instagram, I chose to "follow" Sander. His picture then appears at the top of my home screen. If the picture shows a play button (triangle on its side) there are video(s) to watch. If you want to join in live you have to wait for another picture to appear with a "LIVE" button.

If you have missed the live class but want to join it later (it disappears before the next day's class starts), click on the play button. There may be several videos as Sander does so much for the ballet community.

The first thing you are likely to see is the class - you'll find Sander sitting on the floor waiting for people to join the class (one class I joined, there were over 200 other people also doing the class from all over the world!). On your browser window, outside the Instagram image which is mobile phone shaped, you will see a right arrow, if you click on this it takes you to the next story, which is usually Sander doing a 15-minute stretch after the class - this is saved as a separate video. If you then click the right arrow again, you get to the conversation - if there is one.

The conversations are on Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings at 7:00 p.m BST and are available for the following 24 hours, but then disappear.

Hope this helps someone. Apologies if I'm repeating someone else's answer to this, it's taken me a while to compose the whole message.

• Like 2

Just now, webfoot said:

I have managed to watch Instagram live classes on my PC. You need IG stories for Chrome (no idea what you might need to do for other browsers). I used this link which gives you instructions on how to load the Chrome Add-on https://sociallynina.com/instagram-web-how-to-watch-instagram-live-and-instagram-stories-from-your-laptop-pc-or-desktop/

I've no idea who Nina is, but grateful for her assistance in this case. You need to scroll down to the heading "Install IG stories for Instagram".

As Instagram is designed as a mobile App, it's really clunky on the PC, but I am able to do Sander's classes and watch at least some of his conversations with various people from the ballet world.

Once I managed to get on to Instagram, I chose to "follow" Sander. His picture then appears at the top of my home screen. If the picture shows a play button (triangle on its side) there are video(s) to watch. If you want to join in live you have to wait for another picture to appear with a "LIVE" button.

If you have missed the live class but want to join it later (it disappears before the next day's class starts), click on the play button. There may be several videos as Sander does so much for the ballet community.

The first thing you are likely to see is the class - you'll find Sander sitting on the floor waiting for people to join the class (one class I joined, there were over 200 other people also doing the class from all over the world!). On your browser window, outside the Instagram image which is mobile phone shaped, you will see a right arrow, if you click on this it takes you to the next story, which is usually Sander doing a 15-minute stretch after the class - this is saved as a separate video. If you then click the right arrow again, you get to the conversation - if there is one.

The conversations are on Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings at 7:00 p.m BST and are available for the following 24 hours, but then disappear.

Hope this helps someone. Apologies if I'm repeating someone else's answer to this, it's taken me a while to compose the whole message.

Forgot to mention, it is even more convoluted if you want to upload your own pictures to Instagram via your PC - you have to fool it into thinking you're really on the App by "inspecting the code"!!! -  sooo user friendly - NOT!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Wall said:

Thanks so, MJW.  I typed that in ... The closest I could come was something called 'Save IG Live Story' ... It says I can 'watch and download' ... Is that the same??  Forgive my ignorance.  Guess I will have to wait and see ... if I can see ... if you get my drift ... 

Good question and to be honest I’m not sure! I will try and watch on both my PC and phone and see what happens!

it is possible (I think) for the person doing the IG live to store it so it is available to watch afterwards - I will send a message and see if this can be done

• Like 1

Guest oncnp

I also had problems with the Gary Avis interview (only one I've tried so far) on my PC with the native browser (Microsoft Edge). Once I switched to Chrome it worked perfectly. (...and sorry if everyone's tried that already)

The best User Experience interface is definitely:

1. downloading the instagram app on your phone or tablet; or  

2. Using chrome browser on your PC but is slightly more clunky than 1. above. 

I've not had any issues with watching any of Sander's classes or interviews and I mostly use option 1. (The reason for this is that instagram is deliberately designed to engage people from their phones and more "authentic" photo and video content not from computers where you might have retouched photographs etc) 

• Like 1

Watching it on a laptop isn't clunky....you can even save IG Live videos to watch later at some point which I've done with pointe classes from various dancers 🙂

• Like 2

Go to the sanderblommaert page on Instagram, click on the circular profile pic in the top left corner (when there is a story to see there is a ring around the photo),  click on Watch Live Video, click on the > at the top right of the screen to scroll through any content until you get to the Live Story you want to watch

Thanks, Rob, that's a start.  I clicked through loads of feedback on his classes for 4 hours ago, and some more recent feedback on the interview, but couldn't find the interview itself.  Perhaps he hasn't put it up yet?

Just follow the above, I’ve just checked and there are currently three live stories, two of him wearing....an interesting jacket....from 16 hours ago and the then the James Hay interview. 

33 minutes ago, alison said:

I'm sorry, I still can't see it.  I can see a few bits of reaction to it, but nothing else :(

What are you trying to see it on? iPhone, Android or laptop? It's there to be seen on all of them