Big Spiders help !

Lisa O`Brien

Just noticed an 8 legged monster under the stairs. Sean to the rescue. Squirted the last of the No More Spiders everywhere, made by a company called 151. Looked on Ebay, Amazon, and independent sellers to buy some more. Everywhere is out of stock. Oh, except on Ebay, where some cheeky bloke is selling a couple of bottles of it for, I kid you not, £999. There is another spider repellent around, that isn't sold out. Have only ever used No More Spiders, so don't know of the efficacy of this other one. Does anyone know of another spider repellent that is as effective as NO More Spiders? Need to get a few bottles in, just in case. Thanks.

I don't think spraying everywhere is any use when the spider is actually in the house looking at you!  A cheaper solution to the "spider in the house" problem is a tumbler or bowl, depending on the size of the beast, and a piece of card.  Put the glass or bowl over the spider, then when it is safely trapped, go and open the nearest door or window, then gently slide the card underneath the glass or bowl, up-end it, carefully holding the card in place and then throw the spider out of the house, retaining the glass or bowl and the piece of card for future use.  This also works very well for indoor bees, wasps, bluebottles or moths beating themselves to death against the windowpanes.  Incidentally if the spider is very large I have found that it's useful to encourage my cat to keep it occupied while I go and fetch the bowl - the spider usually retracts its legs and plays dead, making it less terrifying to approach.

• Like 4

My son uses a disabled piece of kit we were given. A yellow and black long stick, with a grabby thing on the end. But he has to position the grippy hand part directly over it to grab it first time. Then it's either out the door or flushed down the loo. I'm usually by this stage standing on the sofa, utterly terrified. I'm actually even worse when someone , anyone goes to throw them outside rather than squash it. I always think they are going to throw it at me. Yes, even my son. Or it could be the Pope himself, it makes no difference. If anyone I am near goes to throw it out, I always imagine they are going to throw it at me. ( Very bad experience as a child, that has stayed with me forever).

You would hate to visit my place Lisa - loads of spiders. I leave them alone - they don't interfer with me and I don't interfer with them, and they don't eat much. UK spiders are mostly harmless. I grew up in Australia, where we have spiders that can kill you. I used to leave them alone too.

• Like 3

I do understand this fear which I used to have and just couldn’t deal with them if beyond a certain size. I could not kill them but have been prevented from going to bed for hours in the past because of a huge one on the bedcover once ...which was white of course...

Im afraid your advice Anne Marriott just wouldn’t work for me as couldn’t possibly get that close 😳 but have used it for other insects not so scared of. 
I didn’t pick this up from either of my parents as my mum or dad would often go and remove one from the bath when I was a child and my mum could even pick them up 😩 

So don’t know where this fear of spiders came from however it has eased off as got older so am not so freaked out these days and even hang the bath mat over the bath so any spiders can get out 😇 I can’t deal with them still but can stay in the same room now as long as I know where it is though my nerves are tested if there is one on the ceiling above the bed! 
We don’t get a lot in the house except in Sept/Oct/Nov time when apparently the males are on the look out for mates!! 
When I was a teacher my pupils soon noticed  this fear unfortunately though didn’t encounter that many in the classroom but I do remember an ENORMOUS one being in the Art cupboard one day and thought oh hell I can’t deal with this so had to find a couple of the most trustworthy pupils to help and was eternally grateful to Brian and Toby for removing successfully without showing me up!!
Nevertheless the word gets around and have had huge rubber spiders placed in the class register on more than one occasion and my screams no doubt very gratifying for the class!! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

I do understand this fear which I used to have and just couldn’t deal with them if beyond a certain size. I could not kill them but have been prevented from going to bed for hours in the past because of a huge one on the bedcover once ...which was white of course...

Im afraid your advice Anne Marriott just wouldn’t work for me as couldn’t possibly get that close 😳 but have used it for other insects not! so scared of. 

That was the same for me until I had a garden to look after.  Strangely enough spiders in the garden seem far less threatening and I gradually got used to ignoring even quite large ones.  Even so, the bowl I use for the really big, hairy, muscular ones indoors is pretty large and I do rely on the cooperation of my cat who pounces on them and pats them a bit with her paw but doesn't actually harm them - I think she's a bit nervous of them too. 

• Like 1

I think it's the sudden movement in ANY direction they might go.

I remember one occasion when I lived in London still coming home and a HUGE one decided to come into the middle of the lounge suddenly.

I got a chair and decided if I banged it on the floor in front of it it would go away from the sound and hopefully under the door and out of sight at least! 

Well I banged the chair on the floor and instead it ran at top speed between my legs so it was me who ended up out of the lounge and in a cold sweat in the bedroom ( it was only a small one bedroomed flat but the lounge was near the front door) 

I am ashamed to say now that I did kill this spider but remotely via the Hoover ....not the upright kind.....

I managed to suck it up into the Hoover and put the Hoover in the hallway for a bit. 

But .....and this is where extreme fear of spiders can get a bit loopy.....I then thought what if I hadn't actually killed it....it could be crawling along the pipe and then come out and get me....What on earth I thought it would do to me is not really that clear but it prompted me to put the Hoover outside the front door onto the flats landing .....I hung the pipe over the stair rail so if it came out it would drop three floors below hopefully!! ......and then I blocked the underneath of the front door just in case! 

I was a nervous wreck at the end of all this and am definitely glad that for whatever reason this extreme fear has now subsided. 

There might be something in this garden thing Ann Marriott as Ive actually got quite fond of the garden spiders who spin those beautiful webs at the end of the summer....well as long as I've seen the web first .......

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AnneMarriott said:

Yes, that's it exactly - and that's why a cat is so useful!

Well unfortunately Biscuit has no interest in catching spiders.  She prefers trying to kill small beetles, or butterflies. Sigh.

17 hours ago, AnneMarriott said:

Why?

Phobia. I don't like being trapped inside a vehicle unable to get out, when there is a large amount of water on the outside.

I just looked it up - apparently it's called autoplenophobia.

Edited by taxi4ballet
  • Like 2

Lisa - conkers are good for repelling spiders. We live in a barn which used to get full of them, but putting lots of conkers around the place on window ledges, beams etc really works - you just need to put fresh ones out each year as the effect wears off.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Quintus said:

Lisa - conkers are good for repelling spiders. We live in a barn which used to get full of them, but putting lots of conkers around the place on window ledges, beams etc really works - you just need to put fresh ones out each year as the effect wears off.

Thanks Quintus. Don't suppose I can buy bags full of conkers online??

4 hours ago, Lisa O`Brien said:

Thanks Quintus. Don't suppose I can buy bags full of conkers online??

I doubt it, but unlike money they do grow on trees - I guess this was advice that won't help till next autumn!

• Like 1

I looked on different websites, and the man is still selling No More Spiders for £999.99. So I read different reviews and i've bought a spray called Zeph-air Spider Spray. 6 bottles of it for £19.99. I've not seen another spider since, thankfully.  But I can't keep just crossing my fingers and hoping they will stay out. I know they won't forever, so I have to be prepared in advance !!