Audition....

allegro11

Hi allegro11

We've had lots of threads on auditioning. Are you talking about lower schools (years 7-11) or upper schools (sixth forms etc)? And are you just generally thinking about the teenage dancers on here and what schools they'd like to get to this year?

Sorry for the questions - I just want to make a clear heading/title for the thread to make it easier for people looking for info.

• Like 2

I think Elmhurst are the most welcoming to both students and parents. They really sell their school in a professional way. From the secretaries to the dance teachers they are all so friendly. RBS are also very welcoming but you dont get offered teas and coffees like you do at Elmhurst.

• Like 3

RBS are also very welcoming but you dont get offered teas and coffees like you do at Elmhurst.

You don't get tea or coffee at the preliminary auditions because, unlike Elmhurst, they are held at various venues around the country so they do not have the facilities. However, when you go to the final audition at White Lodge you definitely get tea, coffee and biscuits!

You don't get tea or coffee at the preliminary auditions because, unlike Elmhurst, they are held at various venues around the country so they do not have the facilities. However, when you go to the final audition at White Lodge you definitely get tea, coffee and biscuits!

Are they chocolate biscuits? ;)

• Like 4

Elmhurst used to be terrible for the tea coffee thing when we started there 5 yrs ago!! After a long trip there was NOTHING!!! We did all say something so I am glad that they are a little better now! Having said that at White Lodge they always have coffee and juice and loads of biscuits!! Even chocolate ones!!

• Like 3

So moving away from choosing schools by whether they provide refreshments after a long journey........:)

Allegro, your question is slightly vague. What is it exactly that you want to know? As Julie said, there are numerous threads on auditions. The 4 lower schools that people usually apply for are RBS, Elmhurst, Tring and Hammond and for upper school you can add in ENBS, Central and Northern, but there are others. Different people like schools for different reasons. It would be helpful if you could be specific about why you are asking the question.

Staying on refreshments for a moment - I'd like to take some credit for WL providing refreshments - they didn't when we first were involved and I made quite a thing of it at the PTA meetings and they started then :)

• Like 6

May I jump in on this thread please and ask what an upper school (preliminary) audition involves at Elmhurst. DD still going round in circles with what to do post 18 but she has decided to try a few auditions for (lower) sixth form anyway. Many thanks

I think it would depend on what your childrens streghts are. Some may prefer modern and jazz so would choose a school more suited to that. Some children dream of becoming ballet dancers so would choose a school more suited to a classical training. There will always be differences of opinions as to what school is deemed better than another. For me it would be the school that produces healthy, happy, confident, thinking dancers whom companies seek to employ.

• Like 2

Swe- elmhurst 6th form audition was a class on flat and pointe in a studio. The final was much more intense, was on stage in the theatre and lots of tricky pointe work. The final also included a tour of facilities and coach trip to view the 6th form accommodation which is a few miles away.

Lil

This has kind of been discussed before, so I've posted a couple of links to previous discussions where we've talked about the pros and cons of each school and what people liked/didn't like:

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/1927-vocational-school-open-days/page__hl__audition__st__30

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/1825-to-audition-or-not/page__hl__audition#entry22284

It's interesting to read what people's opinions are of each of the schools, but as you can see from these previous threads, everyone primarily wants the same things but with differing personal likes and dislikes about each of the schools, which is why it's important to go and look/audition. And as we've said before, very few get a choice of where to go, so you just audition at the schools you would be happy to go to and see what happens - if you're lucky one of them might offer you a place!

• Like 2

My dd can't make her mind up.She likes all 4 big schools and would be over the moon to go to any of them.I am also not sure which is my favorite,for me there are pros and cons for all of them.

Setting your heart on one particular school is a lovely idea, but as others have said, it's best to audition for several rather than putting all your eggs in one basket.

I'm trying my best to keep an open mind and will let dd decide if she is ever lucky enough to be given the choice of more than one school!

• Like 3

There is a lot of talk about which school you would choose for our DC's to go to, if only to be that lucky for the majority of us. Usually the school chooses DC and if they have been successful at all of the final auditions (if they go to them all) then they may have a choice they are the exceptional ones. Unless, if you can afford to paid the fees then you probably do have a choice if offered a place. For us we choose those we would be happy for him to attend and took our chance.

As to the best audition Elmhurst made you very welcome, let you stay and let you in the audition room for brief show. ENBS the worse you don't even let you through the door.

If money were no object and spaces unlimited I'm sure we would all still come up with a different list of priority given a range of schools to choose.

So many factors mean each family select with different priorities in mind. Added to the mix the variation in the kind of study each child is after - even if two agreed on the same school it would be for different reasons.

Odd though how some schools are welcoming to parents and others not - I guess its the students which are the most important on the day but pehaps they need to remember who pays the bills! Would you send your child to a University or Sixth form if they barred you at the school entrance ;-)

• Like 2

Try this:

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/473-british-ballet-students-training-abroad/page__hl__america#entry5079

I'm sure there was another one where we started talking about one of our member's daughter's experiences at one of the American schools - it might be in that thread - I couldn't bring myself to read it all again - it went off in various tangents.

Allegro - I don't want to curb your enthusiasm, but we've had this discussion before and it usually leads us round in circles. People have already said that each of the schools have different things going for them - curriculum, location, boarding facilities, location, cost etc. - and they're all really hard to get into.

• Like 6