Arch supports

HowMuch!

Any advice?

My DD has been having ankle pain for a few weeks. In her class this week I was able to sneak a look at her and I’ve noticed she’s started rolling her feet in - I’m not sure what the technical term is, but she ends up quite flat footed. This is a new ‘thing’ for her, she ordinarily has quite high arches and good strength so I’m assuming it’s due to a growth spurt and everything being a bit out of sync. Her sibling has hyperflexible feet/ankles and has similar issues resolved with orthotics - we’ll see our orthotist friend for advice for any supports for DD. 

My question is, are the arch supports designed for using in ballet shoes any good? I’ve seen the capezio ones online and they look odd? Or the gel ones? I’m thinking for temporary support/correction whilst she builds up strength through exercises? Or is it best to just avoid them? 

Ooh following, I used to attend adult ballet but I’ve had to stop due to ankle pain from quote ‘old foot bones’  causing my foot to over pronate! Now wearing orthotic insoles and advised to wear supportive trainers at all times! I’d love to return to ballet but I’m wary as ballet shoes are so flat!

• Like 1

It's interesting this issue with arch supports.

First I wouldn't like to recommend for children whose feet are still growing ....I don't know whether it's advisable or not. But then I'm not sure split sole ballet shoes are good for younger children even though many wear them. I thought it was recommended that they have a full leather sole until at least Intermediate level anyway. I don't know what "ballet" arch supports look like! 

However as an older dancer I've been wearing full length proper arch support insoles in my ballet shoes from a reputable source for a few years now...these also give me a bit of a buffer for the whole foot against the floor. 

Its probably not a look a younger dancer would like but I'm not sure if I agree that it weakens the foot. 

I feel I have to work harder to make my  feet look reasonably good ....as in normal split soles it's easy to make the foot look really pointed etc when you stretch your feet. But these are proper orthopaedic insoles that you could wear in any shoe and may be different to ones sold especially for ballet shoes. I'm sort of working against the strength of the insole so it's harder to work the foot not easier! 

I think mine are made by "foot medics'  and I have found them very good. 

• Like 1

Has she gone up a grade and is trying to force her turnout out too far? 

I was just wondering whether this was a general strength issue, possibly due to a growth spurt, or if it is a training issue. Does she roll in when standing in parallel or wearing regular normal shoes, or is it just during class?

• Like 2

I keep looking at the mdm shoes but still haven’t bought any as they are expensive if they’re not right! I personally can’t feel any appreciable difference between a split and full sole in terms of support or strengthening as the full soles are so soft anyway. 

• Like 1

I aren’t a fan of split sole ballet shoes on children, I find cheaper less “pro” leather ballet shoes have a sturdier sole and less pliable leather sides. I’ve mentioned on here before the awful shoes some of my students had on their uniform list for associates, they were cut so low at the sides and seemed to encourage rolling! 

• Like 2

Thank you for all these helpful replies. I won’t reply individually but you’ve brought up a few points that I had wondered about.

Shes not moved up a grade, but is nearing exam time so the corrections are coming in thick and fast. It could well be that she’s forcing her turnout more than her strength is ready for. 

She has been wearing split soles for a year, I was wary of her having them but it is a uniform requirement for both schools she attends. Neither school will have a problem with her using full soles though so that will be easy to solve.

I was very unsure of ballet arch supports and I’m relieved to hear that they’re not helpful. She’s got some exercises to do and will wear soft orthotics in her weekend/school shoes for a while. I’ve only noticed the problem at ballet so it does sound like a turnout related issue rather than anything else. Along with a growth spurt perhaps.

Thank you again for the wisdom! 

• Like 1