Musical theatre forum

oliviaT

Hi I hope this is allowed and apologies if not.

My daughter has been recommended the not a pushy mum forum to ask a musical theatre question. She has tried but failed to register with a few different email addresses and has tried to contact an administrator twice with no reply. 

Does anyone on here also use this forum who could tell us which email addresses are allowed! 

Thank you in advance for any help 

It is many, many years since I posted on NAPM but if I recall rightly I ended up using my work email address to register as they wouldn't accept "disposable" addresses like yahoo or hotmail which was all I had otherwise. So if you have a work email maybe try that ( assuming it isn't going to get you in trouble at work of course!)

Alternatively, you could try asking your MT question here. You won't get the same volume of replies its true, but there are quite a lot of regulars here whose children have gone down the MT or more general dance route who might be able to help.

• Like 1

Hi oliviaT

I've copied and pasted an excerpt from the NAPM administrator in response to a problem some forum members were experiencing so this may explain the delay in the response.  The full post is entitled  'My IP has been banned' which is in the 'Messages you need to read' section. Hope this helps. 

I am currently working my way through 350 attempted registrations most of which are Russian Spam.

Thanks everyone. I’ll pass all this on to her x 

I think she wants to try to find some people in a similar position to herself really. The last couple of years have been a bit confusing for her and still are to some extent. 

She’s in year 12, strengths are ballet (but not to ballet school standard) and musical theatre style jazz, weaknesses are singing and commercial. She’s done her intermediate exams and is at a good 6th form college along with two associate classes a week. Also having one private singing lesson a week. 

She’s trying to narrow down choices for degree / diploma (degree is better financially) which would fit her strengths, work on her weaknesses but also be a realistic choice. 

Long term aim is to teach (dance school not high school) but ideally with a short time performing first if possible. She’s more than happy for this to be in hotels / cruises etc and only wants to do this for a couple of years for the travelling and experience. 

Edited by oliviaT

I've noticed that over the last 2 years or so, the NAPM forum has become gradually less active, and there hasn't been all that much in the way of posting of late. Possibly due to issues mentioned above.

There are a number of parents on here with dc who are all-rounders, so hopefully some will be able to help.

There are a lot of options to look at for post 18 training so it can seem a bit overwhelming. I would start by deciding whether it is definitely an MT course that she wants to do (given that you say that singing is a weakness) or a dance course. The acting element of an MT course might not be really necessary for the type of career path you describe. I know quite a few dancers who have been successful in gaining work on cruise ships etc as either "dancers" or "dancers who sing" having taken diploma or degree courses in dance rather than MT. A broad dance education with some singing might serve her better. 

Then I would look at the financial aspects. There is no point in her setting her heart on a course that then proves to  be financially out of the question, so I would look at the funding options fairly early on. If she opts for a degree course obviously there is student finance, but just be aware that the maximum loan available for degrees at private institutions may be significantly less than the fees. For example, when my DD was offered a place at London Studio Centre a few years ago, the fees were something like £10500 per annum but only £6000 of loan was available each year. If she opts for a diploma there are no loans but she may be eligible for a DaDA and many colleges offer bursaries or scholarships. 

Living expenses are another consideration of course and it is probably worth researching the relative costs of living in different areas. A lot of the best known colleges are in London or the South East of course - Laine, Bird, Urdang, LSC, Performers to name but a few. All these are excellent colleges but there are good options in other parts of the country too, and living costs can be significantly less. For example, despite its name, Northern Ballet School in Manchester has a strong jazz strand and a good record for graduate employment in the type of work your daughter is interested in. I know a number of young dancers who have done well after attending SLP college in Leeds, and another under rated northern option is Preston College's professional dancers course. This course also includes ISTD teaching qualifications,  and many of the graduates do go straight into teaching, but I have heard of others being successful with performing careers too. In your shoes I would have a good look at Preston as it sounds like it may tick a lot of the boxes for your DD.

If you can get to Move It before she starts applying, that is a good opportunity to get information on a lot of colleges in one go, and you may be able to cross off some places without having to go there, or get particularly positive vibes about others. I can't remember when it is  as it is quite a while since I was in your position but I am sure someone else will know! 

Best of luck to you and your daughter. 

Edited by Pups_mum
Typos
  • Like 5

I echo a lot of pupsmum’s advice. It sounds like a dance course that includes some singing would be ideal rather than an MT course where often singing is more heavily weighted at audition. 

Its a a shame you’ve missed the CDMT conference, it’s excellent, many colleges are represented and it’s less frantic than Move It. Its held in November. 

Financially you need to investigate whether dada funded diploma courses are an option or whether you need a Student Finance funded degree course (being aware that as pupsmum said, some private colleges you don’t get the full loan)

My daughter is at Hammond, she was also offered a place at SLP, and living costs are significantly less. Agent showcases are well attended (I’ve heard some horror stories so do ask searching questions about this). There is also Shockout in Manchester, not so well known & I don’t know much other than one of my dd’s favourite teachers also teaches there and their grads are getting work. 

Sorry not to be clear, yes she definitely does want a dance based course but one that also offers some degree of musical theatre / singing. 

She did a few auditions last year so we’ve got some understanding of finances. If she was to choose a diploma course unfortunately it would rule out London colleges whereas a degree would open up more options (it would have to be one that offers student finance for the full fees). 

She is one of the youngest in her year group so last year she auditioned at age 15 to diploma courses. She got one offer with funding, one without funding and one no. But these were probably what you might class as the less competitive of the accredited level 6 courses. It’s very hard to know what is realistic to achieve 2 years later and I think this is what she is struggling with. There is little point spending a lot of money on auditions that aren’t right for her x 

• Like 1

It is SOOOOOO hard isn't it?

DD is in year 10, and we are starting to think where she might want to go and what she might want to do at 18! ... she is determined to stay local and do A levels, so we have time to look, but equally, she doesn't quite know what she wants to do! well she does ... She wants to do it all!

Dancing is an all embracing passion, but so is drama, and singing only just behind! She'd like to be in the west end in a musical ( wouldn't they all ! ), would be happy 'just' acting, likes the sounds of cruise ships, joining a contemporary dance company or fancies singing with a band! 

Good luck with your endeavours. 

• Like 1

Hi Olivia T

Reading your post it seems your our daughters are quite similar 😀. This time last year my DD was in year 13 of an academic 6th form and dancing at her local school . Her strengths were (are) also Ballet - although, like yours, not to vocational level , and modern Jazz and she had v little experience in singing . She auditioned at Northern Ballet school, Bird, Performers, Laine, Urdang and LIPA and is now on the degree course at Urdang.  Am certainly no expert on all of this  but If I can help / answer any questions about those colleges please feel free to ask on here or message me ! 

22 hours ago, Pixiewoo said:

It is SOOOOOO hard isn't it?

DD is in year 10, and we are starting to think where she might want to go and what she might want to do at 18! ... she is determined to stay local and do A levels, so we have time to look, but equally, she doesn't quite know what she wants to do! well she does ... She wants to do it all!

Dancing is an all embracing passion, but so is drama, and singing only just behind! She'd like to be in the west end in a musical ( wouldn't they all ! ), would be happy 'just' acting, likes the sounds of cruise ships, joining a contemporary dance company or fancies singing with a band! 

Good luck with your endeavours. 

Thank you. Good luck to you and your daughter too x

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Littleone said:

Hi Olivia T

Reading your post it seems your our daughters are quite similar 😀. This time last year my DD was in year 13 of an academic 6th form and dancing at her local school . Her strengths were (are) also Ballet - although, like yours, not to vocational level , and modern Jazz and she had v little experience in singing . She auditioned at Northern Ballet school, Bird, Performers, Laine, Urdang and LIPA and is now on the degree course at Urdang.  Am certainly no expert on all of this  but If I can help / answer any questions about those colleges please feel free to ask on here or message me ! 

Thank you. Well done to your daughter, a fantastic achievement. 
I do have a few questions if you don’t mind? 

Could you tell me a bit about the standard your daughter was at for her auditions? Did she feel out of her depth at any of them? 
They are all well known and respected schools - did she have any back up schools. Where did she get offers? 

Anything tips she would pass on?  

Thanks very much x 

On 31/12/2019 at 19:22, oliviaT said:

Thanks everyone. I’ll pass all this on to her x 

I think she wants to try to find some people in a similar position to herself really. The last couple of years have been a bit confusing for her and still are to some extent. 

She’s in year 12, strengths are ballet (but not to ballet school standard) and musical theatre style jazz, weaknesses are singing and commercial. She’s done her intermediate exams and is at a good 6th form college along with two associate classes a week. Also having one private singing lesson a week. 

She’s trying to narrow down choices for degree / diploma (degree is better financially) which would fit her strengths, work on her weaknesses but also be a realistic choice. 

Long term aim is to teach (dance school not high school) but ideally with a short time performing first if possible. She’s more than happy for this to be in hotels / cruises etc and only wants to do this for a couple of years for the travelling and experience. 

Northern Ballet School (NBS) also offer the opportunity to study for the DDE/DDI (due to have a name change) which is vital if the main aim is to pursue a teaching career later on. 
Not too sure which other schools/colleges offer these qualifications. However, NBS do not offer the BA(Hons) re funding. Which is odd as a level 6 Diploma is the vocational equivalent of a BA(Hons).  Their courses classical focus or jazz focus are Diploma Level 6 with the opportunity for funding by a DaDa. There are fee increases each summer. Currently stand at about £13,800pa for UK/EU pupils. Will be interesting to see what happens post Brexit. More funds available for UK pupils??  Or is that just wishful thinking 😉

Ps Pupils at NBS are expected to sing if they are on the Jazz Focus but there’s no requirement to sing at their audition. 

Edited by balletbean

1 hour ago, balletbean said:

Northern Ballet School (NBS) also offer the opportunity to study for the DDE/DDI (due to have a name change) which is vital if the main aim is to pursue a teaching career later on. 
Not too sure which other schools/colleges offer these qualifications. However, NBS do not offer the BA(Hons) re funding. Which is odd as a level 6 Diploma is the vocational equivalent of a BA(Hons).  Their courses classical focus or jazz focus are Diploma Level 6 with the opportunity for funding by a DaDa. There are fee increases each summer. Currently stand at about £13,800pa for UK/EU pupils. Will be interesting to see what happens post Brexit. More funds available for UK pupils??  Or is that just wishful thinking 😉

Ps Pupils at NBS are expected to sing if they are on the Jazz Focus but there’s no requirement to sing at their audition. 

Thanks very much - I have shown her your reply.