Private lessons London recommendations please

Giselle21

Hi,

We are in London temporarily and looking for recommendations for some private ballet lessons. Want to start this way rather than a school for DD until we figure out what we are doing. Central London venue & accessible by tube would be ideal! Any recommendations? Thank you😄

A bit Off Topic - but ... Sheila,  can I ask you (and I'm thinking how to phrase this respectfully) - I took a class with Ms Scarlette at Danceworks - a Beginner level, as I needed just a nice gentle stretch out. I'd say it was a rather unrepresentative class, as she had some people in filming some godawful parody of ballet for a website called LadsUni (or something like that) so we started around 15 minutes late, and it was a tiny studio & a lot of people. But I didn't really get much new from her class & I found her a bit self-involved. She's a beautiful dancer & I can see what one could learn, but how do you find her coaching - what sorts of things does she do differently from other teachers that you find outstanding? 

I should explain, at my age, I know there's not much I can do about all the faults I have, but I am really interested in taking class & learning from teachers who can help me use my body well & maintain whatever it is that I've got.

I don't want to feel I've dismissed an outstanding teacher out of ignorance ...

Edited by Kate_N

1 hour ago, Kate_N said:

I don't want to feel I've dismissed an outstanding teacher out of ignorance ...

We've done a number of workshops and some classes with her when in London and she's always been good. Good exercises and lots of useful corrections. Never any privates though, so can't speak of them. 

That's good to hear, Colman. I think maybe my experience was because a) I'm not a regular; and b) it was a very basic beginners class and I didn't get to move! I got one useful correction, but not really any approach to working the body generally which I found illuminating.

There's a teacher in New York I really love to take class with - Julia Gleich - who teaches a very basic beginners class, but I really like her approach to ballet & I always learn something new about my body & ballet.

Anyway, I"m off-topic, and it's just my very limited experience - I look at her Insta and really like what I see there, so I was obviously in an off-mood!

Edited by Kate_N

We’re hardly regulars! She could have been having an off day, or maybe you just don’t get on with her as a teacher. I’ve known teachers who other people raved over that  I couldn’t stand to be in the same room as.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 15:33, Giselle21 said:

Hi,

We are in London temporarily and looking for recommendations for some private ballet lessons. Want to start this way rather than a school for DD until we figure out what we are doing. Central London venue & accessible by tube would be ideal! Any recommendations? Thank you😄

Natalia Kremen I may suggest. We do not live in UK but she has helped my DD in her ballet journey.