What to choose elmhurst or york scholars associates

QJJ

Hi my dd has successfully auditioned for elmhurst associates and york scholars, i honestly dont know what to do, please some advice, the place is for yr 6 and she wants to be a dancer and is more inclined towards a career in ballet, i know she is only 10 but i worry making wrong decisions now will halt or hinder her progress 

We haven't done either, but I would also look at travelling times and how it will impact on your family life. 

DD was offered a place with York scholars but every Saturday afternoon (as a senior) was too restrictive as she frequently has other commitments on a Saturday.  

If your DD may wish to apply to ballet schools for Y7 I would go for Elmhurst. (All things being equal). That is no comment on the teaching on either scheme but it may benefit an Elmhurst application.

Having said that admission to vocational school is made pretty much on what is seen at audition so the chance to shine is still there even if you choose the other Associates.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SissonneDoublee said:

If you are thinking of applying to Elmhurst for full time training, their associate programme might give you more of an idea of the school’s ethos and possibly some valuable audition preparation. 

Things may/hopefully have changed since my DS was an Elmhurst Associate but just a word of warning.  He got a completely erroneous impression of the school and its dance training from his time as an Associate.  This was a while ago, but the vibe was completely different on a Saturday, even with the same staff.  The first year of full time education there was a horrible shock!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, meadowblythe said:

Things may/hopefully have changed since my DS was an Elmhurst Associate but just a word of warning.  He got a completely erroneous impression of the school and its dance training from his time as an Associate.  This was a while ago, but the vibe was completely different on a Saturday, even with the same staff.  The first year of full time education there was a horrible shock!

Is this recent experience? I have only heard positives about all aspects of life there! 

This is a few years ago,  and may be one person's experience.  He certainly didn't find the school a positive experience in any way but that doesn't mean he regrets going there.  Just wishes he had been better prepared. I think he expected the  focus on fun and tricks prevelant in Associates to be carried through to full time training.

We are not a dance family and didn't know what to expect.  As I said, just a word of caution and definitely just one person's view from a few years ago.

• Like 1