SugarPlum2000

So I keep seeing videos social media of boys of an advanced level on pointe and I was just wondering why this is the case? Said videos are typically of them doing the basic exercises to warm up the feet which made me wonder if it is to help strengthen their feet? I know in the RB’s version of A Midsummers Night Dream, Bottom is on pointe however this is the only example I had come across in which a male dancer has a role which involves such a task

Hello SugarPlum2000 and welcome to the Forum!

I have occasionally seen roles where men dance on pointe and, of course, the Trocks dance female roles on pointe.  

I'm sure we've had discussions about this before but I can't find them now ... if anyone else can please link.

I did, however, refind an article linked in this thread:  

Siberian Swan launch male pointe shoes:  http://www.seeingdance.com/siberian-swan-08032019a/

• Like 1

I'm just back from seeing the Hungarian National Ballet, whose 'Sylvia' included quite a long male (comedy) solo from a very experienced character artiste en pointe. We were left thinking, men need to know what they are doing en pointe, and not mess around, or they could sustain an injury (no joke).

1 hour ago, ponklemum said:

A pointe shoe fitter told me she sees boys quite often these days and that they wear them to help strengthen their feet. 

Partly that, partly improving understanding what they’re  doing with partners, partly increasing flexibility for when a choreographer does asks for boys on pointe. They also force you to get the right muscles working: much harder to cheat with your quads when you’re on pointe.

• Like 1