RAD Adv1

balletbean

Just a general question. 

Is is there a standard set fee for RAD Adv1 exam?  

And do many find they are charged over and above the entry fee to cover additional exam coaching classes? Be that 1-2-1 or for the class as a whole? 

Exam season rapidly approaching and the old cheque book is beginning to scream in disbelief! Lol. 

Thank you. 

The RAD charges a set fee (for which there is a small reduction if you are a member of the RAD I think), but I guess that some teachers might expect additional classes need to be taken leading up to the exam so might charge the student additional fees for those.

The exam fees are on the RAD website.

• Like 1

My device will only let me like just one post so as not to offend anyone please accept my generic thank you for your responses. 

I will try and source answer on RAD. 

DD is also taking 2 x ISTD this season. Hence the screaming cheque book 😫. Bless ‘er. 

I don't mean a pianist fee would be charged separately,  but payment for the pianist's time would be added to the amount payable. Most pianists charge by the hour, so normally the total for the exam and extra hours of practice would be divided between the candidates and added to the exam fee payable by parents.

The RAD exam fee is payable at the time of the teacher entering candidates and submitting the relevant paperwork.  This may be several months prior to the exam.

Any additional fees for extra classes and so on should be paid separately so that the candidate (or parents) knows exactly what she’s paying for and to whom.

RAD fees for 2019 for Advanced 1 are £128 for non-members taking the exam at the teacher’s own studio (£86 for RAD members) or £142 for non members taking the exam at RAD HQ or another Approved Venue (£100 for RAD members).  

https://www.royalacademyofdance.org/media/2019/01/11120004/2019feesUKRepublicofIreland20181122.pdf

The fees for exams at HQ or other RAVs include everything; pianist, room hire, examiner etc. so that is all you pay.  My dd took her Advanced 2 at HQ as that is where her classes were so there were no extra charges for “extra” coaching and so on. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Anna C said:

The RAD exam fee is payable at the time of the teacher entering candidates and submitting the relevant paperwork.  This may be several months prior to the exam.

Any additional fees for extra classes and so on should be paid separately so that the candidate (or parents) knows exactly what she’s paying for and to whom.

RAD fees for 2019 for Advanced 1 are £128 for non-members taking the exam at the teacher’s own studio (£86 for RAD members) or £142 for non members taking the exam at RAD HQ or another Approved Venue (£100 for RAD members).  

https://www.royalacademyofdance.org/media/2019/01/11120004/2019feesUKRepublicofIreland20181122.pdf

The fees for exams at HQ or other RAVs include everything; pianist, room hire, examiner etc. so that is all you pay.  My dd took her Advanced 2 at HQ as that is where her classes were so there were no extra charges for “extra” coaching and so on. 

Thank you for the clarification. 

I presume it’s only a small minority that actually are able to attend RAD HQ for their examinations compared to the sheer volume of pupils taking exams. 

Familiar studios (if possible) is always more comforting can’t say the same about the bell, that same feeling occurs no matter where you take the exam! 😉🛎

• Like 2

DD is taking her Adv 1 in the next exam session at RAD HQ. We will be paying £142 plus travel expenses ( train fare) She has done all her vocational exams at HQ, that’s the way her school work. One of her teachers always meets the students at HQ. We are lucky that London is only an hour away by train. 

All her other exams have been other exams ( no matter what genre) have been at her dance school studios and we have only ever paid the exam fee, there may have been a few extra lessons and a mock exam ( which we did pay £7 for) but that’s it. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Pointetoes said:

DD is taking her Adv 1 in the next exam session at RAD HQ. We will be paying £142 plus travel expenses ( train fare) She has done all her vocational exams at HQ, that’s the way her school work. One of her teachers always meets the students at HQ. We are lucky that London is only an hour away by train. 

All her other exams have been other exams ( no matter what genre) have been at her dance school studios and we have only ever paid the exam fee, there may have been a few extra lessons and a mock exam ( which we did pay £7 for) but that’s it. 

Best wishes to your DD. 

I haven’t heard if my DD will have to make the journey down south. It’s quite a trek.  There’s just 3 pupils taking the Adv1. 

2 hours ago, balletbean said:

Thank you for the clarification. 

I presume it’s only a small minority that actually are able to attend RAD HQ for their examinations compared to the sheer volume of pupils taking exams. 

Familiar studios (if possible) is always more comforting can’t say the same about the bell, that same feeling occurs no matter where you take the exam! 😉🛎

If RAD HQ is the student’s nearest approved studio for higher vocational exams then I think the RAD will run as many exams as are necessary within each season’s session.   Dd took all her Vocational exams at HQ even when taking classes and grades locally.  She only moved to the RAD’s own Dance School for Advanced 2.  

1 hour ago, balletbean said:

Best wishes to your DD. 

I haven’t heard if my DD will have to make the journey down south. It’s quite a trek.  There’s just 3 pupils taking the Adv1. 

and to your DD. Mine is the only one taking hers. 

I am sure you know but the closing date for Session 1 ( early summer at HQ) was May 3rd, so hopefully your DDs teacher will be able to tell where she has been entered. 

Edited by Pointetoes

23 hours ago, Pointetoes said:

and to your DD. Mine is the only one taking hers. 

I am sure you know but the closing date for Session 1 ( early summer at HQ) was May 3rd, so hopefully your DDs teacher will be able to tell where she has been entered. 

Thank you. I think it will be at school but my eldest who trained at a MT college travelled into London with one other pupil for her exam so I am prepared for a day trip. 🚞. Tiring but then can’t do much about it. 😉