Disrespecting Dancers

3 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

The Telegraph joins the act. On today's letter page there is a picture of Fonteyn in the Firebird, captioned Swan Lake!!!

Clearly, ballet bird = swan. :wacko:

• Like 2

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure the most basic piece of knowledge almost everybody has about ballet, even if they've never seen a live one, is what a dancer dressed to perform Odette in Swan Lake looks like. This therefore seems particularly ridiculous!

• Like 4

These things are really shameful from august (well, used to be august) broadsheets such as the Times and the Telegraph.  I've said it before and I will say it again:  how hard can it be for these papers to find one person on their staff to ensure that these things are right?  With ballet this is happening over and over again and it is an insult to the readers and the artists to keep getting it wrong.  

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Sim said:

These things are really shameful from august (well, used to be august) broadsheets such as the Times and the Telegraph.  I've said it before and I will say it again:  how hard can it be for these papers to find one person on their staff to ensure that these things are right?  With ballet this is happening over and over again and it is an insult to the readers and the artists to keep getting it wrong.  

it also makes you wonder what else they are carelessly getting wrong in the rest of the paper

• Like 8

2 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

it also makes you wonder what else they are carelessly getting wrong in the rest of the paper

I have been saying this for many years to those who base their opinions on what they read in the newspapers: "A few things you know well they report all wrong, why, therefore, you have trust in what they say about everything else?"

5 minutes ago, John Mallinson said:

The Times photo has now been changed from Golden Hour to Medusa with the caption "Matthew Ball and Natalia Osipova in Medusa".

I am sure they received many messages correcting their gaffe!