Move It 2019

Clarkd3

Hello just wondered whether anyone made it to Move It this year? Any good dance classes, celebrities spotted, dance/ MT colleges that impressed? 

I went with my middle DD and think she drained the stalls of all freebies inc a yellow duck! 😂 She got very excited at seeing various famous people and I just loved the people watching plus watching my eldest DD dance college perform! 

We went and had a fab time! My daughters did acrobatic Arts with Jordan Clark (Giselle from The Next Step) and commercial with Hollie Victoria. They also had a ‘pirouette surgery’, with Rosina Andrews and we saw Neil Jones from Strictly and James and Oliver from The Greatest Dancer. We were very impressed by Bird College. Spent a fortune on new dance wear as well! Really enjoyed the whole experience though and we all want to go back next year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sparkly said:

We went and had a fab time! My daughters did acrobatic Arts with Jordan Clark (Giselle from The Next Step) and commercial with Hollie Victoria. They also had a ‘pirouette surgery’, with Rosina Andrews and we saw Neil Jones from Strictly and James and Oliver from The Greatest Dancer. We were very impressed by Bird College. Spent a fortune on new dance wear as well! Really enjoyed the whole experience though and we all want to go back next year. 

We saw Jordan on main stage, my DD loves the next step so was well happy, star struck by seeing the greatest dancer acts too! Acropad session was fun but need to get our act together next year and book some classes! Yes great dance wear, DD went off to buy some shorts in pineapple and felt very grown up! 😉

Edited by Clarkd3

9 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Did anyone see Brandon Lawrence of BRB?

We saw him briefly. He was billed to be on the main stage session at 3.30pm so we were having a little break and wandering around the stands, returning at 3.25pm only to find he was already dancing and they'd started the session a fair bit early. The twenty seconds or so we caught was beautiful though!

It was our first experience of Move It and I doubt it will be our last. Like @Clarkd3 we will try to book classes next year.

I have to confess I am thrilled that this was our last Move It. As much as I love watching DD perfom at Move it I am very relieved her next college/ university don’t go to Move it. She finds the whole thing exhausting. Her current college have a stand there and the students take turns in being on the stand over the three days. 

Personally I didn’t think it was as good this year there were some big names missing,  it that’s just my thoughts I know it’s a very popular event. 

We had it as a "family tradition" to go every year. My DD danced under various schools since 5 years old until her teen years and enjoyed it every year as a weekend out. As the years went by, the exhibition got worse in my eyes...the stands are poorly dressed, very little freebies 😄 even the people in the stand representing the college or product you have to chase to get information from as they are busy chatting with each other and taking selfies. This year even The Perfume Shop had a stand there?! I mean really?
We used to get lot of nice discounted clothing and shoes back in the day....last years we only got 1 or 2 leotards from the whole weekend. Capezio didn't attend this year neither. Grishko wasn't selling anything (except pointe shoes) and i was interested in one of their warm ups - they directed me to website to buy it. 

It is fun to get some photos done with "dance celebrities" but that's about it.

This year i went on my own as DD is overseas, but i used it as a reunion with some dance mums i know. I don't think i will go next year.

Edited by FlexyNexy

4 hours ago, Pointetoes said:

I have to confess I am thrilled that this was our last Move It. As much as I love watching DD perfom at Move it I am very relieved her next college/ university don’t go to Move it. She finds the whole thing exhausting. Her current college have a stand there and the students take turns in being on the stand over the three days. 

Personally I didn’t think it was as good this year there were some big names missing,  it that’s just my thoughts I know it’s a very popular event. 

We went once and it was fun and dd got the chance to look around the college stands but I felt you didn't really get much from the performances unless you went into a seated one.  To noisy and crowded.  The workshops were fun but a lot of the colleges seemed to have student teachers and they were way too big to get anything out of it.

The college where she ended up at stopped doing Move It several years ago.  It costs an extortionate amount of money to be there or perform (that could be better spent elsewhere in a lot of cases) The one year they did perform it happened to co-incide with their Graduate Agent Showcase so the grads performed in central London on the one day then went onto Move It the next day.

I personally feel that its become less about the training and finding out opportunities in the industry and more about which celebrity workshops can sell the most places.  CDMT conference was a much more productive use of our time and money.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FlexyNexy said:

We had it as a "family tradition" to go every year. My DD danced under various schools since 5 years old until her teen years and enjoyed it every year as a weekend out. As the years went by, the exhibition got worse in my eyes...the stands are poorly dressed, very little freebies 😄 even the people in the stand representing the college or product you have to chase to get information from as they are busy chatting with each other and taking selfies. This year even The Perfume Shop had a stand there?! I mean really?
We used to get lot of nice discounted clothing and shoes back in the day....last years we only got 1 or 2 leotards from the whole weekend. Capezio didn't attend this year neither. Grishko wasn't selling anything (except pointe shoes) and i was interested in one of their warm ups - they directed me to website to buy it. 

It is fun to get some photos done with "dance celebrities" but that's about it.

This year i went on my own as DD is overseas, but i used it as a reunion with some dance mums i know. I don't think i will go next year.

Really interesting reading these. I went to the very first Move It and remember the odd workshop and being able to talk to lots of schools as well as buy merchandise. I wanted to take DCs this year but due to my workload couldn’t. I felt guilty about this as I wanted DCs to experience it but maybe not so much now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mummy twinkle toes said:

Really interesting reading these. I went to the very first Move It and remember the odd workshop and being able to talk to lots of schools as well as buy merchandise. I wanted to take DCs this year but due to my workload couldn’t. I felt guilty about this as I wanted DCs to experience it but maybe not so much now.

Our girls really enjoyed it but had no experience of what it was like before which may have helped. They would be happy to go just to be able to watch all the showcases and use the Acropad. They weren't too worried about the shopping side or queuing for autographs or talking to schools. I was surprised not to see more recognisable brands there, but relieved not to be getting my purse out every five minutes 😂. 

My DD went to Moveit last year with 15 other senior pupils from her dance school. I think she was shell shocked by it all. Being very more classical than MT it didn’t tick all her boxes. However three fellow pupils were scouted within a couple of the regular classes. Two offered places on a monthly intensive tap course. One pupil after being scouted was offered a fully funded place at one of the well known MT studios. Fast forward 12months and the same girl was back at Moveit promiting the studios at their stand. Crazy but fun tiring times.

Whikst we celebrated their success my bank account took a battering. 🤨