Jeremy Hardy RIP

alison

A wonderful tribute in tonight’s The News Quiz, just finished and repeated Saturday lunchtime.  Jeremy Hardy, very funny and fiercely committed, made for Radio 4, brilliant in I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Clue as well as The News Quiz and much else - he’ll be greatly missed by audiences.  My thoughts are with his family and friends.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, JohnS said:

A wonderful tribute in tonight’s The News Quiz, just finished and repeated Saturday lunchtime.  Jeremy Hardy, very funny and fiercely committed, made for Radio 4, brilliant in I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Clue as well as The News Quiz and much else - he’ll be greatly missed by audiences.  My thoughts are with his family and friends.

So terribly sad and 57 is far too young.  There were some really lovely but very sad tributes on Twitter yesterday, including the suggestion that at the funeral his friends should sing either terribly badly or in the style of George Formby.  

• Like 5

Thanks for that, John.

i found him to be a very funny man with real depth of feeling.  I re-listened to his fox hunting skit after reading his Obit and it is real LOL stuff.  

I know little about his work for social justice, other than what I’ve read.  However,  I did not always  appreciate his sneering attitude towards those who did not share his views, but as that sort of intolerance is always the way of the hard left, it would be unfair to single him out.  I shall just regret the passing of a great talent who has died with quiet bravery at a ridiculously young age.

• Like 2

Sad for anyone to die so young but I remain ambivalent about how he used his undoubted talent.  He was extremely and spontaneously witty on non-political topics, but I found his extreme left political rants very heavy-handed with little humour to disguise the lecturing, and an annoying way of delivery that stated very controversial views as unarguable fact. I have only ever been moved to write one complaint to the BBC in my life, and that was about how his lengthy News Quiz monologues were effectively becoming straightforward Labour party political broadcasts, breaching the BBC requirement for political balance. Perhaps that was ultimately the fault of the editors rather than him. When he bounced off other panel members on neutral topics, he was hilarious.

• Like 1

I have to agree, Quintus and I have also complained about the News Quiz.  In fairness, I should say they actually telephoned me to say it was almost impossible to find comedians who did not have a left wing bias.  The low point for me was when Sandy Tosvig said Michael Gove had a face like a newly formed foetus and the audience howled with laughter - apparently unable to understand the difference between political satire and personal abuse.  Imagine the uproar if anybody had something similar about that BBC sacred cow, Eric Hobsbawn.

• Like 1

With the current state of the BBC (and the rest of the press) as a manager of the news for the government, his contributions gave it some much needed political balance. 

17 minutes ago, Fiz said:

May I make a polite request for Ballet Co Forum to be politcs-free? I come here for relief from political stress and I would prefer not find political posts here. 

Apologies. Sorry - back to ballet!

1 hour ago, Fiz said:

May I make a polite request for Ballet Co Forum to be politcs-free? I come here for relief from political stress and I would prefer not find political posts here. 

You may indeed.  ☺️

I think we can all agree that Mr Hardy was taken far too young and that his comedic talents will be very much missed.  Deepest condolences to his family and friends. 

• Like 3