Going Back to ballet continued...

Fiz

RAD do put all the details of their workshops on their website months in advance and they seem to update the lists 3 or 4 times a year.  Each time there is an application form to fill out by a given closing date.  They confirm receipt of application but can only decide if an event is vaiable (due to numbers etc) at the closing date and aim to confim within 10 days of the closing date.  I was only aware of the adult repertoire classes when they were mentioned in an email - but too late for Coppelia.

BRB - the childrens full day workshops seem to be discussed early summer and details for the full set of workshops (4 days) are given out with an option of paying upfront for all 4 for a discounted price by the closing date of the first workshop or applying and paying individually for each workshop by the respective deadlines (they run Nov - June).  If they add the adult workshops to this programme and I would expect it to follow a similar process as they will be allocating studio space.   This year the adult class was attached to the taster sessions for the full day workshops.  Our experience has shown that these tend to be in the school holidays - Feb or May half term or both, or Easter  and the dates for these are only advertised 3 -4 months in advance.

On a different note - Michelle I hope you are soon feeling better and that your knee is ok.

• Like 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My knee is all right but I have a revolting cold and was not going to go to ballet on Wednesday when I received an email to say that there would be no dance class. My poor dance teacher damaged her knee at the weekend and she couldn't walk ;( I do sympathise, Michelle, as I've felt quite rough this week. I do hope you will be fit for class tomorrow. x

I was reading on another thread here that Capezio shoes tend to be wider fitting....is this generally known?

I need to buy a new pair of ballet shoes(not split soles though) as Ive worn mine to death now for past two years and decided yesterday that they do look a bit on scruffy side. I need a wider fitting. Current ones are Freeds and are men's shoes because they tend to be in wider fittings so I could stick with the same but as have never bought shoes other than from Freeds before(old habits die hard) wondered if should give another make a go? Anyone wear Capezio shoes?

Hi Lin

If you get the opportunity to try them on first, then I would do so. I have had Capezio’s as hand-me downs when I first started and those were wide fitting. However I now use Bloch as I had the opportunity to try these first at the Lincolnshire Dance shop, and they come in several width fitting, mine is “C”, but these are the pink leather ballet slippers.

Leg is a lot less painful today and I can almost fully straiten it, but it is still quite stiff, not sure if I will go to Salsa tonight or continue to rest it.

I think I will ring the changes and try a Capezio shoe....first at any rate. Freeds have different width fittings too but it was the mens shoe which fit in that instance. I'm up on Tuesday to see La Bayadere which am looking forward to and hoping to do class at London Russian on wed am now so can have an afternoon sorting out buying some new ballet shoes!! I do think the split soles flatter your feet etc but think I'd better stick to a full sole for mo. I even wear these insoles to help cushion the feet when jumping!

I would rest your knee tonight especially as you say you have or have had a heavy cold as well.....probably body saying it needs a rest!!

Otherwise you could find yourself out next week as well!!

• Like 1

My capezios were a canvas split sole and quite wide. I didn't like them as there was absolutely no padding in the sole but depends on your preference. My Bloch ones are much nicer shoes & fit well, they do different widths too. I find freed shoes narrower than other makes even in the standard width but not sure about the mens. Somebody said grishko have more padding in the sole so I think I may try those next!

• Like 1

Hi Lin

Yes I think you are right, I’ve just cancelled my Salsa for tonight and Saturday’s ballet is still under review. I must confess I did try a few steps in my studio this afternoon and the foot definitely doesn’t like to be stretched with full bodyweight on it for long, the discomfort now seem to be in the muscle is the lower leg. I guess 5 hours on a Tuesdays does give it a bit of a pounding, but it was OK Wednesday morning until after my body balance class and that’s fairly low impact stuff.

Ah well more house work and looking at ballet training videos. I shall be down to sowing next, that's if I can still remember how to use the sowing machine.

Edited by Michelle_Richer

You should get yourself a floor barre DVD to do when you're injured or not able to get to class :)

There is some of that in Dreas Reyneke's "Dynamic 5th", which I have, its unlikely I will do nothing. After all this is a bit of a new experience for me as I dance every day. I have Dreas Reyneke's "Advanced Pilates" which I'm about to check out and if I'm really short of material I have Finis Jhung Entire Collection of 41DVD's to go through. Edited by Michelle_Richer

Maybe I will have a look at the Bloch shoes as well then just to see the differences etc. The trouble with buying new shoes is sewing on the elastic....urghh....Just hope I haven't lost my thimble......

Michelle you must be super fit did you say you did 5hrs of dancing on Tuesday.....was that consecutive hours. I have a two hour class on Fridays just slightly longer than usual and I can't imagine doing another class afterwards!!

Michelle you must be super fit did you say you did 5hrs of dancing on Tuesday.....was that consecutive hours. I have a two hour class on Fridays just slightly longer than usual and I can't imagine doing another class afterwards!!

No but three hours at Pineapple is, then I have an hour in the morning, and one and a quarter hours at ENB at night. I leave home at about 8.45am and return home about 1am the next morning.

When I’m at one of my Salsa Congress’s its not unusual for me to dance from 10am during the daily workshops and then in the evening social dancing until 4 – 5am the next morning, with all the usual breaks for meals.

The Congress goes on for three or four days, but when you dance Salsa regularly, you don't tire but you do sweat and consume lots of water.

Ballet for me is a whole different game, especially with lots fondu's on the same supporting leg or lots of sautés on a hard floor. Those are the things that eventually give me grief. And of course I don't have the same level of stamina.

Yes I find fondus especially when combined with ronde de jambe en L'air quite tiring....it takes a lot of strength to hold the leg up for so long and probably hold back a bit on fondus when on right supporting because of my knee which plays up,from time to time.

Hi Lin

I’ve just emailed my teacher cancelling today’s class; I must confess its getting me down a bit. I think I will do a bit of matt work, Scottish “Core de Ballet” was quite good, haven’t used that for a while, but used to use it as a cool-down, its quite low impact, at least I will be doing something.

Had my private lesson yesterday. I wanted to work on hands, arms and head. My arms feel more balletic now, and I am sure I will be walking around with my middle finger pointing inwards half the time to get used to the hands.

Also worked on chasse pas de bourree, which is almost always part of the enchainement in the Saturday class which I struggle with. I did feel a bit more confident this morning.

• Like 1

Glad you felt more confident today. Yes sometimes it's the little joining steps in the middle of an enchainement that can mess it up for you and you then always seem to be on the wrong leg!! Very irritating! However getting the top half of the body improved and looking good is really important as then hopefully people may not be looking too closely at ones feet!!!!

Did a half hour workout at home this morning before my Body Balance class, then ballet this afternoon at Stamford, both classes I left my knee supports on, they seem to do the trick. At least they didn't let me down on Fondu's. Class was nice but only 6 of us this week, not sure why so many absent this week. London tomorrow (my highest endurance day), think I will keep the knee support on for that one too, then they can come off Wednesday for rehearsal.

Just back from my London trip (1.00 am) after 5 1/4 hours of classes, my legs seem to have survived, so I think we are out of the woods now, just got to be a little bit careful until things are fully healed. Unfortunately go soaked tonight walking from English National Ballet to South Kensington Tube station, as the subway closes at 10pm. 

Am looking forward to Saturday when doing Franziska Rosenzweig's second workshop. I think we will be learning a piece of choreography as well on this one. Is anybody else doing this workshop?

Fantastic class tonight! K. Is going to be so good, and she's so nice. I wasn't brilliant but the whole class atmosphere has changed and it's such fun. We work hard but it is thee best feeling when N. smiles and says "Well done" or that she's pleased with us :)

• Like 1

It is nice to be noticed for something ones done well but I can't get used to it!! Tonight in class the teacher called out "That's it Linda you've got it (as I usually havent)....."well done" across the room and then I immediately went wrong!! Shock I suppose.... Especially in this class as its my Russian slightly more challenging class of the week! But does keep you really trying!

• Like 2

Rehearsal tonight was frustrating, several dancers absent, routines changed since the week before, I ended up facing the opposite way to everyone else. The original routine was thought to be too difficult by the rest when dancing on the opposite foot, so they reversed it back to something that was familiar last week, but nobody told me.  For the most part I’m in front and the other dancers are behind me, so I don’t get to see much of what is going on and I’m always conscious of timing. Not a particularly good session for overall progress, but we did finally get to see the stage. Still a few rehearsals to go.

Ballet at Lincoln will soon be back, had an email from my teacher, she will be utilising a place in the University and will be back on line with Teens and Adult ballet in June. At some point I will need to start to shed a class or two as I think that will bring it up to 11different sessions.

Thank you Fiz;, Its not quite the same class, Same teacher but different organisation and location. I have always left Monday evening free just in case my teacher came through, and she did bless her.

Had a fantastic night tonight but an unusual one at Kings Lynn. I arrived early as usual as traffic is a bit unpredictable, and waited in there reception / waiting room. Only one other dance arrived and we had a bit of chat. Then I told her of a piece of music I had come across from a Chinese busker (if that’s the right word) who performs just outside ROH in Covent Garden. I had my DVD/CD player in my bag as I use it for playing ballet training DVDs on my rail journeys to and from London. I played my favourite track and told her I was choreographing some ballet to perform with it. Shortly after, whilst the track was still playing my teacher arrived, she immediately fell in love with the track, my dancing friend told her about my choreography.  I am now tasked on my next visit in three weeks time to perform my own creation to this track. Although I think it’s a tough assignment as I want to perform it well, I can’t think of a nicer one.

• Like 3

That's great Michelle creating your own choreography can be fun and very satisfying.....and at least you've got three weeks to do it. Sometimes something that is helpful is once you've chosen your track just move completely non balletic ally around to see what movements you can feel in the music and then turn the main ideas from this into more balletic form. But I'm sure you've got your own method anyway especially with your salsa experience.

I know the musician you are talking about who plays outside the ROH I love his music too and have often thought of buying a CD etc I thought it might be nice for long car journeys.

I would love there to be a more choreographic class just once a week as I think Ive said before so may have to get some like minded dancers together!!

Hi Lin

Musical interpretation for me, is what its all about. I almost choreograph on the fly, I just have to go with the music, it just moves me.

I have seen and listened to that artist before, mainly when I did classes at ROH, but I don’t know why, a couple of weeks ago, the music, the acoustics of the square sounded so beautiful and special the tears started to roll, it was really emotional. I made up my mind to following week to go over and buy the CD. Unfortunately the CD doesn’t quite capture the sound as I heard it, but its still extremely good.

I have a whole list of music I want to choreograph, but not the time to do it in, and I don’t even think two lifetimes would be enough. But bit by bit I will keep chipping away at it.

I think the reverse happens with me with my Salsa experience, I find various ballet steps either fit in (eg Balance’s) to Salsa rhythms or can be adapted (eg Pirouette’s). Sometimes when we exchange partners and I find myself without, its not unusual for me to drop the odd ballet movement or two in and remain in step with a fusion of both styles. For me its just dancing, it naturally comes from within, just love it.

Salsa class and dance tonight (Friday), Salsa Party Saturday, Salsa performance at Woodhall Spa Show on Sunday. Must not forget ballet class Saturday too.

I know exactly what you mean, Michelle. I've been listening to Radio Two's coverage of the 70th anniversary of the Dam Buster's raid and at breakfast time, Chris Evan's played Glen Miller's In The Mood. I couldn't keep still, even though I was eating toast! Amy the Labrador was most alarmed :)

• Like 2

Had a really lovely day at Franziskas workshop in London yesterday. The centre practice focused on various tours en l'air from lunge preparation......into attitude/arabesque/ al la seconde turns which I found quite hard as getting onto demi pointe from this position requires a lot of strength. A couple came off but these definitely need a lot more practice!!

However the highlight was learning a piece of choreography from Le Corsaire....the third Odalisque dance the one with the arabesque and en dehors /en dedans pirouettes across the diagonal. Anyway this was great fun and very energising trying to remember it and eventually give some attempt at "performing" it!! I just wish there were more mini repertoire sessions like this and I am going to ask Franziska whether she will consider doing more either as a workshop or special repertoire class(a two hour class....hour for warmup then hour to learn a piece should suffice) Her next workshop in July in which the centre practice will focus on pirouettes may not have this repertoire bit.....will check....but it does seem to be what everybody really enjoys and would like. Anyway inspiring day.

In the end I bought a pair of Bloch split soles in black.....they fit really well in D fitting in canvas range but have my reservations about the wisdom of split soles for me and my feet!! Interestingly the leather split soles are narrower and didn't fit as well as the canvas. My reservations are.....will the shoe give enough support and will canvas last more than 3months on my feet!! Anyway will give them a go and they did come with the elastics partly sewn on which was a godsend!! Do most others use split soles for their ballet lessons(adults I mean) these days or do others wear full sole shoes?

• Like 1