Summer School for beginners...

MrsMoo2

Hi gang,

Just wondered if I could pick your brains about SS.

DS has read about them and is keen but I don’t want him to be out of his depth! Can anyone advise of any that would accommodate him? He’s 10, and has stayed away from home before but not for more than 4 nights. Been dancing for 2 years, top of grade 2 now but was unsuccessful at vocational school audition for year 7.

Would love for him to have a really good, positive experience. 

Cost not that important as long as he has a good time and location as near to the M6 corridor as poss.

Thank you...👍👍👍

My summer school caters for all levels .

Last year we had students from Royal , Elmhurst , Tring and Hammond - right down to once a week children .

We offer home stay with a family who are licensed a full Matron chaperones .

We carefully match them with a child of the same age .

This year its two weeks and Swan Lake in the theatre at the end , 

a wonderful faculty too .

Please read testimonials from people on this forum such as Billy Elliot , oldermum , Harwel , Yorkshire Pud .

Apparently we are up there with the big ones !

small classes 

reasonable prices 

lots of performance opportunities

much fun !!

see West Yorkshire summer school thread for details 

Edited by tutugirl
Missed out somethjng
  • Like 4

I was going to mention yours Tutugirl........ MrsMoo Tutugirl has a had lots of children who go onto Vocational School from her dance school and a very successful young man of her own .

The only teacher I've ever seen actively supporting her students at auditions .

• Like 5

My dd attended the York Scholars summer school 2 and 3 years ago and loved it. The atmosphere was very friendly and I got the impression that everyone was welcome. Which is why I have booked my 11 year old ds onto the course this summer. He has only been dancing for 18 months and is also grade 2, but I think he will enjoy it! https://www.yorkshireballetscholarshipcentre.com/summer-school/

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BlueLou said:

My dd attended the York Scholars summer school 2 and 3 years ago and loved it. The atmosphere was very friendly and I got the impression that everyone was welcome. Which is why I have booked my 11 year old ds onto the course this summer. He has only been dancing for 18 months and is also grade 2, but I think he will enjoy it! https://www.yorkshireballetscholarshipcentre.com/summer-school/

My DD did this as her first summer school 2 years ago, and loved it too. Last year she did OPES which she also loved, but said York Scholars had more planned activities. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, tutugirl said:

Oh thank you Hairbelles . Yes I do try to accompany the children to auditions if I can .

How kind of you to notice .

Just got another one into Hammond with an MDS !

Hope yours are both well and happy x

They are thankyou . Still on never ending auditions with the youngest . 

That's fabulous news you must be into double figures by now x

• Like 1

Thoroughly recommend  tutugirls summer school.  Lovely atmosphere, friendly and good teaching.  DS has been 3 times and it is always his favourite SS - he’s very sad not to be attending this year due to rehab from an operation. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the tips guys. All a bit of a mystery to me atm! I’d like him to go for two weeks but think realistically a weeks probably a better idea as he’s not been away for more than 2 nights before! 

His own school usually do a week but you never get to see what they’ve been doing! 😂 

One last question, he’s 10 and 11 in August, so which group would he fit in? xx

10 hours ago, MrsMoo2 said:

Thanks for all the tips guys. All a bit of a mystery to me atm! I’d like him to go for two weeks but think realistically a weeks probably a better idea as he’s not been away for more than 2 nights before! 

His own school usually do a week but you never get to see what they’ve been doing! 😂 

One last question, he’s 10 and 11 in August, so which group would he fit in? xx

I would think he’d be junior wherever he goes as most only accept children from 9 or 10 years old, so a 10 year old would be amongst the youngest there.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Mrs Moo2

Please look at our Summer Schools and intensives for next year, 2019. We are fully sold out this year, but we have a minimum age of 11 years old, but next year 2019 your DS should be 11 I think and would be welcome to join us. Courses are run from our family home and we have 12 guests maximum we run a hand full of 3 day intensives a year and our International Summer Schools - Principals Weeks.

Please check out our Facebook and Instagram pages and our website www.woodsidedanceretreat.com.

Good luck and enjoy the summer.

Kind regards

Nicola Moriarty

Principal