Manon Insight

I don't think the recent Manon Insight broadcast has yet been highlighted:

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/watch-the-royal-ballets-manon-in-rehearsal-on-7-march-2018

The live broadcast was on Facebook which I saw.  Whilst the Insight was interesting, the Facebook relay included continuous Facebook posts which took up the left hand side of the screen and were very distracting.  It may well be my lack of IT skill to be able to turn them off!

Fortunately the film on the website has none of these comments and makes for much better viewing.  The Insight focuses on the non principal roles - three gentlemen and two courtesans, together with a presentation on the musical sources.

Unless there's a way to turn off Facebook comments, I'll not bother watching Insights live and enjoy the uncluttered video later.

• Like 3

I watched this yesterday and found it much harder to handle on the smart TV. The YouTube broadcasts were far easier to find, and to pause, rewind etc. I had to type in the entire URL that John mentions above, instead of simply finding the ROH YouTube channel in my favourites and selecting the newest addition. Can't complain as it's wonderful that these are streamed at all - but I do wonder why they decided to change to a Facebook broadcast. 

The insight itself was fascinating. I particularly loved watching Reece Clarke, Nicol  Edmonds and William Bracewell rehearse the gentlemen. 

• Like 2

Totally agree that these should be on You Tube. As RHowarth said it's much easier to use You Tube on a,smart tv - my TV takes ages to negotiate web sites and I ended up watching this Insight on my Kindle - not the best way to watch ballet. I did, however, manage to remove the mostly inane comments.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

Congratulations ninamargaret in removing the 'mostly inane comments' - I'm tempted to ask for a lesson.

no problem - just a case of trial and error because I got so fed up with the comments!  I just swiped the screen from left to right and they disappeared as if by magic! Could just have been beginners luck so not sure if it would work on other devices

• Like 2

I am astonished they haven't moved this onto YouTube yet, particularly bearing in mind that you need to be logged into Facebook, i.e. need to have an account, to get anywhere at all on it these days.  I wondered why on earth the change?

It was a very interesting insight, though, with lots of useful nuggets from the coaches.  Possibly a bit more info about the ballet might have been useful for those not so familiar with it, though.

• Like 1

I think the programme starts on the ROH website at about 3 minutes - slightly disconcerting as there's a blank screen for a few seconds and then a Manon still photograph but it should all be there.

On 3/12/2018 at 07:16, JohnS said:

I don't think the recent Manon Insight broadcast has yet been highlighted:

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/watch-the-royal-ballets-manon-in-rehearsal-on-7-march-2018

The live broadcast was on Facebook which I saw.  Whilst the Insight was interesting, the Facebook relay included continuous Facebook posts which took up the left hand side of the screen and were very distracting.  It may well be my lack of IT skill to be able to turn them off!

Fortunately the film on the website has none of these comments and makes for much better viewing.  The Insight focuses on the non principal roles - three gentlemen and two courtesans, together with a presentation on the musical sources.

Unless there's a way to turn off Facebook comments, I'll not bother watching Insights live and enjoy the uncluttered video later.

When watching a Facebook stream simply press the 'Full Screen' button and the comment panel disappears as well as the video being full screen.

You can also currently go back to the facebook stream by pressing the facebook button on the video in the link you have posted should you ever need to check one of the comments and they will appear in realtime in sync with the section of video that was being commented on

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 1

Oh ok, my advice was based on using a laptop. You could perhaps try finding a solution at your convenience by clicking on your ROH link then pressing the Facebook button on the Manon video which will take you to the original location of the stream and trying the full screen button knowing you’re not missing anything that can’t be rewound 

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 1

As ninamargaret says, on an ipad all you have to do is swipe. :)

I can't switch to HD though and having paused it, the sound was out of synch when I returned.  I wish they'd get a move on and publish it on Youtube.

• Like 2

Haven't watched all of it yet, only the first rehearsal of the '3 gents'. I found it fascinating that so much hard work goes into just a very few minutes of the actual performance. I've seen many rehearsals before so I shouldn't be surprised but I think it's because it's a relatively small soloist role, not a principal pas de deux. It's wonderful that so much effort goes into making even a seemingly insignificant dance such as this be given as much time and effort as a principal's dance and I think that is the Royal ballet's secret in producing great ballets and great dancers. Full length ballets aren't just about technique and showing off, they are all about inhabiting a role and being in character. Christopher Saunders was giving fascinating insights about this, about how different characters respond differently to different people and that, Lescault, for example would behave differently towards Mr GM, Manon and his mistress. Also the fact that the 3 gents would be a bit drunk so even though the moves are carefully choreographed they mustn't look too classical. It is this attention to detail and the fact the RB is blessed with such great (and now officially recognised) character artists that make them (IMO) the greatest company in the world. I have seen other companies do Manon and after about 15 minutes I am longing for Christopher Saunders,  Elizabeth McGorian, Bennett Gartside and, of course, the wonderful Gary Avis who so enhances every role he plays, however small. The word small is key. The street scenes in a RB Manon are teeming with life and a multitude of different characters who are all very different.  it's not all about the principals, important though they are. A whole world of individuals has to be created and this is what brings the ballet to life so gloriously every time it is performed. Can't wait!!

• Like 9

I think the 3 Gents is one of the most fiendish bits in the ballet, isn't it?  It would certainly explain some of the so-so performances I've seen over the years.  I have a feeling I've also seen some (newly promoted?) principals dancing in it still.  But yes, the insights were indeed fascinating.  And brave of the 3 dancers involved to let us (and the world :) ) see it from scratch.

• Like 1