Royal Conservatoire of Scotland BA Modern Ballet Course / Summer School Course

Dancing2003

Hi,

I would be grateful for any feedback on the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland BA Modern Ballet Course and if they run a Ballet Summer School Course (re the summer course ideally what ballet level this would be aimed at). 

Doing a bit of research for dd auditioning in  2019.

Thanks in advance 😊

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/15/2018 at 21:50, Dancing2003 said:

Hi,

I would be grateful for any feedback on the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland BA Modern Ballet Course and if they run a Ballet Summer School Course (re the summer course ideally what ballet level this would be aimed at). 

Doing a bit of research for dd auditioning in  2019.

Thanks in advance 😊

Hi there Dancing2003 - I don't have any information to offer but my dd is hoping to audition in 2019 also :)  Did you manage to find any information?  Also, is your dd planning on auditioning for Ballet West also?

There's a link to the summer schools here

https://www.rcs.ac.uk/lifelong-learning/summer-schools-2018/

the senior ballet says AF or above - a lot of their students also used drop in to take class, and it also used to be lead by their own staff, so a good one to attend to see if RCS is for you.  I'm a little out of date now so not sure if things are the same.   If nothing else, you'll get a feel for the surroundings - worth contacting Liberty Living whilst you are there, they are very friendly and will arrange for you to see the accommodation.

• Like 1

My DD is auditioning this year and we went to the open day in November, we both found it very useful, we got to watch a class of each year, there was an informative talk, we were then coached to the main building for a tour and also had a tour of the liberty living recommended accommodation. I presume they will do another one this autumn , we were very impressed and my dd really wants to go. We had to register for the open day and then book once the registration opened. 

• Like 2

I attended the summer school in 2016 and it was amazing with the standard very high..many people on the course were auditioning for the school or were starting in September 2016 and many were already at vocational school..the current students also popped into classes which was nice 😊 we did a good mixture of ballet technique, repertoire, contemporary technique, contemporary rep and some jazz and stretching classes! Everybody was really friendly and welcoming and there were people from all over the world including Japan, Australia and France..me and my friend were the only Welsh girls though! We met lots of new friends and had a great time so would highly recommend! 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, TwoLeftFeet said:

Hi there Dancing2003 - I don't have any information to offer but my dd is hoping to audition in 2019 also :)  Did you manage to find any information?  Also, is your dd planning on auditioning for Ballet West also?

Hi two left feet I’ve pm you 😊

Just had a look at the RCS summer school on their website, and for the seniors it says ‘age 15’. Does that mean strictly age 15, or 15 and over? I have emailed them to ask, but got an automatic response saying that they aim to reply to email queries within 7 days - thought asking here might be quicker! 

Hi Bluelou

They are really quick at getting back to you, I’ve booked dd onto the 2nd week she will be 15 in March, the only thing I was surprised at when completing the online application form it doesn’t ask for the current dance examation/level , but did read this on the website

students should be working at approximately Advanced Foundation level, or above, in ballet to benefit fully from the course.

On the first day teaching staff will observe students as they participate in classes and stream them into groups appropriate to their level. The purpose of this is to ensure everyone gets the most out of the course and is taking part in activities appropriate for their experience.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, stressedbeyondbelief said:

Loulou are you at the finals in March then? My daughter is very impressed also 😊

We opted for the London audition as its much closer but regretting it now as its the very last audition on the 27/2 and think we have the last time time slot, so hoping the panel haven't had enough by then. Dd is desperate to get finals so hoping she won't be too nervous.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Loulou said:

We opted for the London audition as its much closer but regretting it now as its the very last audition on the 27/2 and think we have the last time time slot, so hoping the panel haven't had enough by then. Dd is desperate to get finals so hoping she won't be too nervous.  

Same here! We opted for London thinking it would be more convenient. However I didn’t know it would be in Battersea (not near a tube station), and so late in the cycle. I think panels are pretty experienced at applying exactly the same criteria to everyone though, so fingers crossed and good luck! 

No I thought it would be at pineapple studios, not sure why I thought this, it’s was a nightmare trying to find a suitable hotel. Decided not to be in Battersea as going down the night before and didn’t want to have to find our way to Battersea at night.  I’m sure they are, you just think have they filled the final so they will be more strict ! Good luck to your dd too. 

• Like 1

Standard degree funding plus generous scholarships.  

Accommodation is 15-20 minutes walk away in Miller Street (Liberty House Glasgow).  Almost all students are at RCS, fantastic mix of ballet dancers, MT students, jazz musicians, film makers .....

Ballet students generally split between 2-3 flats, can stay in halls all 3 years if they like.  Staff are used to the fact many are under 18. 

• Like 5