Musicals.

Fiz

'Wicked' is also very witty and clever and several songs would survive entirely outside the context of the show itself. We have seen it twice and would go again like a shot ;-)

Otherwise it's 'My Fair Lady' and 'West Side Story' (on stage, not the films) up there as my favourites. I also love 'The King and I' and the film of 'The Sound of Music', although I don't enjoy it onstage as much; clearly spoilt by the scenery, both Austrian and Christopher Plummer in naval uniform awaiting Julie Andrews at the altar. How on earth did she make it up the aisle without swooning away?!!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Love Wicked & Les Mis! and am in a production of Miss Saigon early next year- probably my favourite musical because it's sooo powerful- I was getting emotional just reading the script! ;) Id love to play Ellen, Now That Ive Seen Her is such a beautiful song to sing.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

My dd and me are big musical theatre fans.We have learnt most the songs together from all different musicals.

Fiz, my dd who is 9 also is dreaming of being in Les Mis.She sang castle on a cloud on stage in front of 500 people, I was so nervous for her but she loved it and it was beautiful.

Last time I went to the Uk my friend for a surprise got us tickets to see hairspray,I would of never of thought of going to see that but it was great.

Yes, my eldest sang that in front of a big crowd too. The girl who played young Cosette when we saw it forgot her her lyrics, poor child and you could hear a pin drop as the whole audience willed her not to break down :(

My youngest dd has just been cast as Eponine in her school production so its Les Mis all the time in our house atm. Although she has been in major productions including west end I have never seen her more desperate for a role. She usually hates doing anything at school infront of her peers but its her last year so think she has finally decided to show them what she is capable of!

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't forget Miss Saigon amazing. I prefer the more up to date musicals now. I actually prefer musicals to ballet don't tell my daughter. I just love Les MIs, WIcked, We Will Rock You, Legally Blond, Spamalot and quite a few others. Sadly I'm not into the really old musicals I have seen them but they weren't for me. Tonight I went to see Lion King in Manchester and shock of horrors it wasn't for me or my husband. The singing was good. I just wish that they would bring Miss Saigon back again.

It's just as well we're not all the same Tulip!  I thought Miss Saigon was the 2nd most boring musical I have ever seen, the most boring being that one tune wonder Aspects of Love.

I'm not a huge lover of on-stage musicals but in recent years I have loved White Christmas.

• Like 1

I'm not a big fan of musicals. There are some which, IMO, only really have one or two "big numbers" eg The Wizard of Oz and Wicked. I do like Oliver, Mary Poppins, West Side Story (surely it's time for a big West End production), The Lion King, The Sound of Music, Joseph and Jesus Christ Superstar, all of which have a lot of good songs.

It's good that we are all different and sometimes it is interesting to hear another persons view as it can make you see something completely different to what you originaly thought if you know what I mean. But if we are all different how come it is still blooming difficult to get tickets for some of these shows?

Our local receiving theatre (the Empire) is part of ATG.  Someone I know expressed surprise that I didn't have an ATG card (£30 per annum).  Looking at their venues and what was coming up I thought it would be worth giving it a trial for a year.

Depending on your theatre going - one trip to one of their venues for 2 people could save its cost.  One of the benefits is that some of the shows (not one night stands) have half price tickets on the first night.  As it happens that is the only night I can see M Bourne's Swan Lake - saving £16.25.  Then NB are on in Manchester at the end of the year.  I have booked for 4 of us for the first night saving £80.  And that is only on the tickets.  The other main advantage is that you are not charged booking fees or postage and the card is valid for all their many venues, of which a number are in the West End.  Quite a few shows have a £5 reduction on tickets and you can book up to 6 tickets per show.

I am not normally a fan of ATG and you do have to work out if it is worth it but it may bring the cost of your theatre outings.  Every little helps!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just found this thread and have to put in my 10p's worth!   I adored Miss Saigon and saw it four times! With songs like The Movie in My Mind, Why God Why and Last Night of the World, it's quite emotionally draining!  I have also seen Blood Brothers four times!  I actually didn't enjoy Les Mis the first time around!  My husband splurged on box seats, but the seats themselves were dreadful - they'd lost all their padding and the first act seemed doubly long as a consequence!  We were also too near a louspeaker and too much on one side.  The second time we bought tickets more in the middle and I loved it, so I think that sometimes external influences can affect whether or not we enjoy something. 

I have over the years seen many musicals in the West End and am rarely disappointed, but there have been some that I could have done without - Rent for example - couldn't understand any of the words and found the theme depressing rather than moving.  My niece lives in Manchester and on visits to her I have seen a few excellent shows that previewed there before the West end opening, including Ghost and Sister Act, which were both excellent.  I adore musicals, both stage and film, from the "let's put on a show kids"  Mickey Rooney type musical, through the great ones like West Side Story, Carousel, Oklahoma, King and I, South Pacific, My Fair Lady, Sound of Music, etc etc and I sometimes thought I should have had a career in musicals rather than ballet!  I actually auditioned for some when I was young, but my dancing was too "classical", so I stopped fighting the inevitable!!!

Edited by Dance*is*life