Ballerina attire

Jade Eyrague

I would say pay attention to your grooming – hair neat (could be braids pinned up if you don't like buns), and no jewellery except maybe stud earrings and a watch. No accessories or big things in your hair! Perhaps you could go in a leotard and tights but with your own 'comfortable' clothes on top, that you could take off once you see whether everyone else is in leos/tights?

Then just hang back a bit and watch what everyone else does. It's usually easy to find someone who looks like they know what they are doing, so you can keep an eye on them if you forget what comes next. Also listen carefully. There may be unfamiliar things like curtseying to the teacher that seem odd to you but are just part of the etiquette. Some classes have a bit of chitchat, and some are very focused with no conversation between dancers once the class starts.

(I'm going to my first class in 15 years next month, so I'm cheering you on!)

• Like 5

The right mindset is an open one Jade. Try not to worry, relax and see what happens. What's the worst possible outcome? Probably that you don't like it and don't go back - nothing awful is going to happen!  Stop thinking so much and go with the flow. I hope you enjoy it - do come back and tell us all about it.

• Like 3

Hello everyone !

So, my first ballet class was Friday, and it went well ! All of it was very new to me and very different from my modern jazz class : much more disciplined and organized. The teacher is at the same time gentle and exigeant, giving very precise instructions about how what to do and correcting us when she saw something imperfect. She told us that if we want to be good dancers, the moves and positions need to be like automatisms, like a perfect clockwork mecanism (this is a picture I like a lot !)

I did as you said Cara and Pups_mum, I listened carefully and kept an open mind. Apart from the ballet moves and names that I'm learning, they were also some rules in the class that I didn't know and surprised me. For example, when entering the class, we had to make a small curtsey with a smile towards the teacher and say "bonjour madame" (good day madam). At the end of the class, we had to all line up and give a longer curtsey - always with a smile. Thankfully, some of the more advanced girls were very helpful and helped me understand a lot of things !

Concerning the outfit, the teacher gives us very clear guidelines : leotard with a purple tone (which; she says, is our "level color", with other classes having other colors), ballet pink tights and slippers, and hair put in a bun. If we wear warm-ups, it has to be black, purple or light pink. I came to the class with my black leggings and simple t-shirt, like I wear to modern-jazz, and I felt so out of place wearing that ! If someone had a spare outfit to lend me, I would have put it here and now lol !
The girls told me they would help me find the best ballet clothes, and already gave me some advices. For the slippers, they said it would be better if it was split-soled and made in leather. What do you think ?

Also, I noticed something that surprised me : some of the dancers were wearing their tights over their leotard, which to me seemed totally weird, but the teacher says it's fine and it looks more "professional". Why is it so ? Should I do it too ?

Thanks everyone to accompany me in my discovery of the ballet world and for your helpful answers, and see you soon !

PS : good luck for your comeback class Cara ! I wish everything will go well, and am impatient to learn how it was ! ^^

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Jade Eyrague said:
Hello everyone !

So, my first ballet class was Friday, and it went well ! All of it was very new to me and very different from my modern jazz class : much more disciplined and organized. The teacher is at the same time gentle and exigeant, giving very precise instructions about how what to do and correcting us when she saw something imperfect. She told us that if we want to be good dancers, the moves and positions need to be like automatisms, like a perfect clockwork mecanism (this is a picture I like a lot !)

I did as you said Cara and Pups_mum, I listened carefully and kept an open mind. Apart from the ballet moves and names that I'm learning, they were also some rules in the class that I didn't know and surprised me. For example, when entering the class, we had to make a small curtsey with a smile towards the teacher and say "bonjour madame" (good day madam). At the end of the class, we had to all line up and give a longer curtsey - always with a smile. Thankfully, some of the more advanced girls were very helpful and helped me understand a lot of things !

Concerning the outfit, the teacher gives us very clear guidelines : leotard with a purple tone (which; she says, is our "level color", with other classes having other colors), ballet pink tights and slippers, and hair put in a bun. If we wear warm-ups, it has to be black, purple or light pink. I came to the class with my black leggings and simple t-shirt, like I wear to modern-jazz, and I felt so out of place wearing that ! If someone had a spare outfit to lend me, I would have put it here and now lol !
The girls told me they would help me find the best ballet clothes, and already gave me some advices. For the slippers, they said it would be better if it was split-soled and made in leather. What do you think ?

Also, I noticed something that surprised me : some of the dancers were wearing their tights over their leotard, which to me seemed totally weird, but the teacher says it's fine and it looks more "professional". Why is it so ? Should I do it too ?

Thanks everyone to accompany me in my discovery of the ballet world and for your helpful answers, and see you soon !

PS : good luck for your comeback class Cara ! I wish everything will go well, and am impatient to learn how it was ! ^^

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your first lesson. 

Re you comment about ballet slippers, most of the English senior pupils (teens upwards) tend to wear canvas 'flats' with the elastic already sewn on in a criss cross style. However, if your fellow pupils from ballet suggest leather as that is what they wear then definitely stick to that. Do they also wear ribbons or elastic. Schools do vary

As far as the tights, my DD's school definitely don't wear their tights on the outside however , I can understand why. Tights have a seam which could be rather uncomfortable, most leotards have a cotton gusset and therefore don't require any underwear to be worn. As well as being able to change quickly should the need arise. Ask or look (discreetly) to see what your new found friends wear. Clothing and uniform certainly do vary across schools even within the same country.  

Exciting times ahead. Enjoy   

• Like 2

Glad you enjoyed it Jade.

I would agree with the other comments - beginners are usually advised to wear full soled shoes, but do ask your teacher. My DD's old teacher didn't like split soled shoes for class but would allow them for shows and competitions.  As I understand it, split soles make it easier to point your foot so tend to look nicer, but full soles make your feet work harder so are better for you when you are starting and need to get the basic techniques established.

• Like 4

DD wears both leather and canvas flats, depending on the floor. At one studio it is more slippery and leather works better; at another it's stickier and canvas works better, apparently!

From a parent's point of view, canvas don't last as long but can be thrown in the washing machine. (Some floors/stages leave terrible black marks on pink shoes)

Re tights over leotards, I believe this is a trend that started in the US (ABT/NYCB) and others have adopted. I think it ruins the line of the leotard, and isn't particularly flattering. But as you have found, Jade, the teacher sets the rules.

Curtseying may seem old-fashioned but is just part of the etiquette, like bowing to partners in martial arts. I like it as a mark of respect to the teacher (also represented by arriving warmed up, well-groomed, and ready to work!)

I will let you know how I get on (if I survive) :D

• Like 4

shoes - i would talk to your teacher ,  there does seem to be an amount of mythology  around  when someone should be allowed canvas rather than leather and split sole  rather than full sole ...  funnily  enough i've never seen a class description for  adult classes  mention anything about  shoes  other than to have them and to reserve them for  dancing  ( different kettle of worms when it comes to  classes including pointe work  and whether people are  expected / required to  wear   soft blocks or  their pointes for  entirity of the bare or whether  the barre  is split  into a soft section and a pointe  section ) 

Cara is correct about the tights thing - see also discussion in the US about the wearing of hosiery in general  and   craziness that the US press  has over   the duchess of cambridge  and now   Ms. Markle  wearing hosiery  in line with the  norms expected of  British polite society ... 

Wow, from what I read here, the shoes seem to be an important question ! I guess it is, since it's what keep you on your feet when you dance... Full soles seem to be the advice that most of you gave me, I will follow it for the next class, but of course I will also ask about it to my teacher ! I learnt the lesson : in a ballet class, the teacher is one saying the rules ^^

I don't understand neither this trend of wearing tights over leotards... sure, I am a complete beginner, but it still seems weird to me ! Wouldn't it be like wearing underwear on top of your pants ? It a strange trend, except if you are a superhero !

This brings me to another question I would like to ask you... even if that's a bit embarassing to ask. When wearing the ballet uniform of leotard and tights, what about the underwear ? I don't think that the other girls were wearing a bra. I guess if the leotard is well made, it can act like a sport bra. But what about the... crotch area ? Can you wear normal underwear under your tights, or do you have specific ones that don't show ? Sorry if my question is dumb, but I honestly don't know ^^'

On 22/01/2018 at 11:44, Nicola H said:

Cara is correct about the tights thing - see also discussion in the US about the wearing of hosiery in general  and   craziness that the US press  has over   the duchess of cambridge  and now   Ms. Markle  wearing hosiery  in line with the  norms expected of  British polite society ... 

You seem to be much more aware of what happens in the fashion world that I am, Nicola ! I usually stick to wearing my t-shirts, blue jeans and Adidas Stan Smith sneakers, and not think much about anything related to hosiery... What are those discussions about it in the US ?

On 22/01/2018 at 03:53, Cara in NZ said:

Curtseying may seem old-fashioned but is just part of the etiquette, like bowing to partners in martial arts. I like it as a mark of respect to the teacher (also represented by arriving warmed up, well-groomed, and ready to work!)

I will let you know how I get on (if I survive) :D

Yes, I was a bit suprised about the curtsey at first, but then I remembered you mentioned it in what of your posts ! I must have looked quite awful doing it, all inexperienced and with my modern-jazz outfit, but I did my best... Something that the others girls told me is that it's very important to have a bright smile when you curtsey to the teacher. It's even best to keep that smile while dancing in the class. It is a sign of good will, and also is a good training for when you perform in front of people and have to keep a perfect face. This is something I will be working on !

I am sure you will definitely rock your class Cara ! Dancing must be like riding a bycicle, it comes back :-)

Thanks everyone !

• Like 1

undies  under leotards is a   individual thing at the end of the day ,  ' doesn;t  show' is the rule/ convention most people will stick to especially for uniform / exam / show ourposes .  whether you  wear a bra  will depend of the ampleness of your bosom   and also the  styling of the leotard -  some leos do have linings / shelf bras  etc ...    others are sold  on the basis their back is  high enough and their shoulder straps  both width and psotion  are there to cover up a bra... 

Sometimes doesn't show  also goes  a bit by the wayside , but that;s primarily  in classes without a  uniform  - e.g. contrasting colour  racer back  bra/ crop top  under a scoop back leo  ( or normal straps   sports bra / crop top under a racerback leo )  e.g  a few  brightly coloured  sports bras / crop tops on view  at TBR   under  normal black / navy / whatever leos 

There are times and reasons why a  girl / woman will need to  wear knickers , even though  some will say  don;t wear knickers  because you are all ready  wearing tights and  the leotard  -   high leg / thong  no vpl  knickers in skin tones  may well be a good idea

DD wears black high-cut undies under black leos and skintone ones under paler ones. No bra but she's an 8B so no support needed. When she is wearing a white or pastel leo, she often wears an 'undertard', which is a nude-coloured leotard with thin straps, ie an extra layer. She doesn't like nipples showing! (No point being embarrassed, Jade – we've all had these discussions. It's even complicated discussing what boys wear!)

• Like 2

In my classes, which are with girls your age, underwear is a personal preference. I like to wear underwear personally and I just go to the normal shops and find ones with a high leg line. You don't need to find special 'dance' underpants, just find some that are cut high enough that they won't show. I used to wear normal undies and just hoik them up a bit but it stretched the elastic out. I used to wear a bra under my leotard, but when the uniform changed at my school that wasn't possible. I now wear a flesh coloured bodysuit made for going under leotards, and while it is less supportive, it still does the job. All up I wear underpants, tights, bodysuit and leotard for every class because it's what I prefer, other girls wear just the leotard and tights and nothing else. See whatever feels comfortable to you, just try not to let things show. If they do show occasionally, it's not a disaster, it's just underpants!

• Like 2