Life after a dada award

Curious

My daughter  is currently is award of a dada for a level six diploma in professional dance and has been told she can do a year top up at Middlesex university to turn into a BA hons in dance would she be able to go on after and do another year and become either a primary school teacher or secondary school teacher. Also if at the end of completion of the diploma in professional dance she dosent get a job has a dancer would she be able to do go and do a university level course and access student finance to do a different career path. 

Although my information may be out of date, my dd did the level 6 diploma with a dada and she could have got a student loan for the top up to the degree. Her dada was not considered a student loan because she wasn't on a degree course. She was very lucky the ballet company paid for her to do the top up.

Edited by Strawberyy
grammar

From my understanding, a student loan is only available for your first higher education qualification so once you have achieved your level 6 Trinity diploma , then you already have got a higher education qualification and so could not go back to university and get a student loan to do a different undergraduate degree course. This is the theory - but I do know people who have gone onto degree in other subjects afterwards - I obviously do not know their finances though.

The funding rules however do allow for you to do the 1 year top up or conversion course for the diploma to a BA in Professional Practice.

PGCE is post grad so different criteria apply for funding. You do need check entry requirements though as I think you do need the BA degree first

• Like 1

Your 1 yr top up will be permitted the rules are you can't do course at same level you already have. 

PGCE wise - you can do the Cert Ed ( having a level 3 in your chosen subject area) a Professional graduate cert ed ( for those without a degree but 2yr equivalent so diploma/foundation degree, or standard pgce. All of these are funded through Initial Teacher Training (ITT). 

In addition to ITT you can now access funding for masters (£10k loan) 

Hope that helps. 

3 hours ago, Curious said:

Thank you all so much for your help I am always looking for a back up plan if the dance path dosent happen for my daughter and all the money spent so far can help her follow another path later on. 😀

The other people to contact are the ones at UCAS. After all they are the ones that deal with Uni places etc. I was of the firm belief (under a slightly different jurisdiction) that finance is available if it's a first Degree. As a Diploma isn't exactly a Degree (Vocational equivalent ) in the eyes of a Uni it is possible to obtain a Student loan to fund a students first degree. There is a link on the UCAS website for Student Loans. Staff were found to be very knowledgeable and helpful. Completely different career but my son was eligible for a student loan for a degree course without A levels but having obtained a Diploma within the same field of study.

Good Luck,

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 1

what is the exact CATS point  make up of the   level 6 diplomas ?

when Nurse  pre-reg  was  fully funded diplomas  and  student  loans  etc for living costs  for  pre-reg degree , several of the EHIs had the  wicked wheeze of the 'Advanced  Diploma' /' Enhanced  Diploma' 

a DipHE is a level 5 award  - 120 level 4  credits, 120  level 5  credits,   an Honours degree  adds  120 level 6  30 / 40 / 60 of which are from the  dissertation /final project  ...  these advanced diplomas in Nursing  has  120 level 4, 120 levle 5 , and 60  level 6  so  counted as diplomas  for fundign  but  covered half  the 'top up'  to a honours degree 

You can get a breakdown of the syllabus, modules and credits of the level 6 Trinity Diploma by opening up the pdf on their website.http://www.trinitycollege.com/site/?id=270

From what I was told, however,  the requirement for the 'top up' or conversion course to get a BA Honours degree is not because of numbers of credits overall but because of the number of academic credits involved and the fact that there is no dissertation/final project. The Middlesex university course adds the 2 academic modules plus the dissertation

it sounds very much like the  Trinity  diplomates are in much the  same position as  those  who did  'Advanced Diploma' p re-reg Nurisng courses , there;a module or two  and the dissertation to ' top up'   to the  honours  degree

• 1 month later...