Student benefits for 16 year olds

Karen

We would be grateful to hear about any student perks anyone may have come across for 16 year olds starting on the L6 Trinity diploma in September. We have discovered you can have a Lloyds Bank student account from 17, but you have to be 17 by 31st Oct to apply for the bonus NUS card that gives discounts. I think there was a thread about student perks for 16 year olds a couple of years ago, but I guess things may well have moved on since then, so any information gratefully received. 

You can sign up for unidays at 16 with lots of discounts similar to NUS. Bloch in London offer a 15% discount for vocational students but you have to register with them once the course begins. And of course, the 16-25 railcard, if you don't already have one (which you can get using clubcard vouchers if you have them!) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

You can continue to claim child benefit, family allowance, so long as you don't earn above £50,000, until the child is 20, so long as they are doing A levels with their diploma.

I've just phoned up about this and as discussed on previous threads, this is a bit of a grey area.  I was advised to go ahead and apply anyway but in order to qualify dd must have 12 hours of supervised study per week and I'm not sure she will for 2 A levels.

10 hours ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

You can continue to claim child benefit, family allowance, so long as you don't earn above £50,000, until the child is 20, so long as they are doing A levels with their diploma.

We've got that one agreed! When I rang, the lovely lady said as long as there were 2 A levels being done, we were entitled. She didn't ask about income, though. 

Edited by Karen
Edited for clarification
  • Like 1

We applied for the NUS extra card, you have to pay but i think it was only £30 for the 3 years and gives lots of discounts - was very easy and card came within a few days (she's 16 and not 17 until well after Christmas). You can also have a 16+ oyster zip card for 1/2 price travel, valid until you are 18. My DD starting Laines, not in London so can't get free travel. Sadly we lose child benefit as it's a level 6 course so considered higher education.

Edited by Dancermum
  • Like 2

On 01/09/2017 at 02:29, mimi'smom said:

You can sign up for unidays at 16 with lots of discounts similar to NUS. Bloch in London offer a 15% discount for vocational students but you have to register with them once the course begins. And of course, the 16-25 railcard, if you don't already have one (which you can get using clubcard vouchers if you have them!) 

Great tip! Just wish I'd read it 20 minutes ago, I've just swapped all my club card points for restaurant vouchers - the railcard would have been better

Student railcard 16 to 25 is a must.  

If your DC still has an ID card from their old academic school they can use this in the short term at shops and food outlets as many offer student discount. Teach them to ask. It's surprising how much the odd 10% discount soon adds up. Teaching them to be thrifty from day one is a very valuable lesson. If you don't ask you don't get ..... as the saying goes. 

47 minutes ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

ID cards from academic schools?  

My DD's have always been issued with a photo ID card from their schools. Just like adults may have in the workplace.

Handy as it not only has a passport size photo but also their date of birth. I thought most senior schools issue them. They have come in very handy. Even passed as ID on domestic UK flights in place of a passport as well as retail outlets when claiming student discount. :)

None of the three different secondaries (1 vocational, 1 private & 1 state) mine have been to issue them & I don't know if any family kids who have them so maybe it's just something schools in certain local authorities do)

dd had a problem buying a train ticket the other day as they thought she was over 16 but she does have a photo ID bus pass with her age on.  

Edited by Picturesinthefirelight
Spelling

From memory, you can get a free British Rail ID card for under 16 travel if you say you are buying a season ticket.  DD had one as she bought a weekly ticket once, and it was really useful as it has their DOB on it.  Next year she didn't buy a season ticket, but did get a new ID card which worked well on busses (and trains!) etc as proof of age.  She was making a long weekly rail journey so I didn't feel too bad.

• 6 months later...
On 01/09/2017 at 09:13, cotes du rhone ! said:

Hope this is still the case CDR did it all work out ? Trying to decide if Elmhurst US counts as “non-advanced education” for my child benefit form that’s just popped through the door!

1 hour ago, Billyelliott said:

Hope this is still the case CDR did it all work out ? Trying to decide if Elmhurst US counts as “non-advanced education” for my child benefit form that’s just popped through the door!

I have had no problems with family allowance payments as both my dc took A levels and are under 19. 

It stops at grad year as they are only completing the Diploma then. Speak to Rachel at Elm xx

• Like 2