Bristol Hippodrome

Indeed: the charges are so high that I've long been in the habit of booking the next batch of tickets whenever I go to a show there.

Edited by Lizbie1
Edited to explain to the uninitiated that the charges disappear when you book in person.
  • Like 1

If there are no offers by Friday I will buy cheapest I can on the day in person to avoid fees as my ATG is expired at the mo! We can just move forward when it's clearly unoccupied.  There are so many empty seats I'd be v surprised if the do not close the upper circle :-(  such a shame for BRB. 

• Like 1

Interesting topic.... I'm travelling down to Bristol from Nottingham this Saturday to see both matinee and evening shows of BRB's Coppelia, which will BRB's last this season. I fell in love with Bristol and its Hippodrome when I went last year to see the most amazing farewell performance in Taming of the Shrew by Elisha Willis.  I get SO excited that there is no orchestra pit so RB Symphonia has to set up on the first few rows of the stalls! It's just fab!!  

I noted last year the poor ticket sales and now, looking at next year's schedule, it seems this year will be the last in a while that BRB bring a full length ballet for a whole week to Bristol. They tried it in Nottingham too and it didn't work & they abandoned it, but at leat we still get the mid scale....

But anyway, I'm digressing. ATG theatre charges: I try not to notice these but now it's been mentioned on this forum, I've now checked my Coppelia tickets for Bristol. The face price of my front row stalls seats has a nearly 20% charge on top of it for whatever it says is what they charge (for what exactly I know not...). Mega ouch!!!! I didn't notice at the time I booked but I'm such a BRB fan I had to book. That level of fees will certainly put people off booking and that is such a shame. It does kind of feel like a con.  When I book with this particular theatre group, I feel uncomfortable with the added charges and in fact 'unsafe' when I am booking with them. Coupled with the fact they don't send out tickets immediately, sometime not until months after you have booked, making you stress that your booking didn't in fact go through...!

It concerns me deeply that a theatre owner would rather have a half empty theatre than offer up cheap tickets to fill up the house; I know some theatres do this and offer up seats to school groups and charities, when they have lots of empty seats. Or at least have a local mailing list and offer discounts: I'm a friend of my local theatre in Nottingham and if the seats aren't selling for a particular show, they email everyone on their mailing list offering 2 for 1 or half price.  I can't understand why this particular theatre group won't do offers!

Anyway, whatever the ticket sales in Bristol, I'm sure BRB will have a warm reception! Last year they certainly did and I think ticket sales picked up last minute after local publicity drive. I know these shows will be fab!

Obviously, it has already been announced that William Bracewell is moving to RB next year. It appears from cast list published on BRB website that he will dance as Call to Arms Lead in Saturday's evening's Coppelia in Bristol.  So, without me saying anything that isn't already in the public domain.....that will be the last time we can get to see him with BRB. I wish him so many good wishes and happiness with RB but very much looking forward to that BRB show on Saturday!

Edited by nottsballetlover
  • Like 3

On principle, I never book the Bristol Hippodrome in advance, precisely because of the onerous charges.  Even back in the days before you could check sales online, I'd ring the box office and make sure they had enough tickets for me to be sure to get in before I'd commit to buying the coach ticket down to Bristol.  If I couldn't be sure, I wouldn't go - simple as that.

• Like 1