Too late to start?

yruizpn

Im turning 26 this month and would like to start dance but I feel I may be too old. I dont have hopes to become professional, I just want to dance. There seems to be no adult classes near me, which leads me to believe that starting this late isnt really something that happens. I wanted to start with Ballet but I also want to dance Contemporary, Jazz, lyrical, is any of this possible this late in the game? If you happened to start late, did you also have trouble finding classes?? Its making me feel really discouraged. 

Hello Yruizpn and welcome to the Forum.  I have moved your post to the more appropriate Doing Dance forum.

I have also added the tag Adult Ballet.  If you click on that you will find loads of threads about adult ballet.

I'll give you this link as a starter:  http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/13243-i-passed-grade-6/

You will see that 26 is really rather young!!!

Where are you based?  Other members may be able to advise you about classes in your area.

• Like 2

I have a friend who has been dancing for only a year or so and she started when she was 40! She has started from the very beginning and has taken ballet, modern and is now taking tap as well - and she is doing exams. She has done exceptionally well in everything she has tried so far and she enjoys it so much.

If there are no adult classes near you, it's still worth speaking to the local dance schools. They don't always advertise their adult classes or they might be happy for you to join a teens class. If you're in a big town/city, there are usually some adult classes in the town centre at least..

Thank you ladies! I hope I can find a class. I will continue to call around. Ive hit dead-ends so far. Im in Augusta, Georgia (USA). I had joined a walk-in adult class but they were all a group of friends (and they were dancers since childhood) and we did a whole lot more talking than we did dancing. I also never received any corrections and if I was lost the instructor would just move along without me. I figured it wasnt worth it if I was on my own anyway. Im glad to know Im not the only one who decided to dance later in life! 

Ballet Talk for Dancers won't accept registration from email addresses supplied by AOL, or Gmail. It's to do with board security & spam, as well as US law. Here's the policy 

WE REQUIRE YOU TO REGISTER WITH YOUR REAL EMAIL ADDRESS. Hotmail, bigfoot, yahoo, all other free email service email addresses WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

We have had people registering with someone else's name as a hotmail address, or making up a name that has turned out to belong to someone else, or taking out an email address to register but never check that mailbox. We need an accurate address where we can trace you if, for legal reasons, we are required to do so. We also need to be able to get in touch with you if there is a problem with a post.

By "real email address," we mean the address that is part of your connection to the internet: aol, mindspring, msn, earthlink, etc. If you are using the internet, you are connecting to it, and the email address associated with that account is the one that we need. If you are posting on a computer that belongs to another family member, you can get what is called an "alias" from the ISP (internet service provider) so that you can have your own email address.

So if you have an email address supplied by your internet supplier (eg Verizon or ATT) then that would work. But I think you can read BTfD without registering so you could look to see whether there are some pointers. The Adult Students forum should have something.

The other thing to do is find out what are the bigger, more professionally run studios for children in your area & see if they offer an adult or open community programme.

And NO!!! You are never too old to learn to dance! My current wonderful teacher runs ballet classes for children & a couple of adult classes each week. We had our first class of the term today & one new person turned up who'd never danced before. She came away having started to dance! 

• Like 2

Oh and just to say - ballet teacher friends of mine say that they very rarely give many corrections to completely new students, as they don't want to scare them off. Ballet corrections can seem to be quite harsh if you're not used to being constantly corrected, so teachers generally leave it a bit before commenting on new students.

Thank you ladies! I hope I can find a class. I will continue to call around. Ive hit dead-ends so far. Im in Augusta, Georgia (USA). I had joined a walk-in adult class but they were all a group of friends (and they were dancers since childhood) and we did a whole lot more talking than we did dancing. I also never received any corrections and if I was lost the instructor would just move along without me. I figured it wasnt worth it if I was on my own anyway. Im glad to know Im not the only one who decided to dance later in life! 

Hi, Just a thought, have you tried the regular childrens' stuidos? In my area adult classes are openly advertised but when contacting the school or checking the website it becomes apparent that adult ballet classes are available. Maybe the same practice exists across the pond  :rolleyes:

Good Luck on your search. I'm sure there is a class out there to meet your needs. 

For some odd reason I cannot register in that one. It wont accept any of my email addresses. I will look around here to hopefully see some success stories. You guys seem more active anyway. I hope thats ok. 

BT4D   want  a 'real email address'   ironic  given the  admin sends the  message from AOL  , they will not except Gmail or the main facesof hotmail/ windows live mail ...  despite the fact   that for many people that is all they have  ...  ( having had fingers burnt with ISP email accounts that fizzle  out )

• Like 1

I started 4 and a half years ago, at the age of 29. I take classes 4 days a week now and the beginner classes I attend have a pretty much constant influx of new people, aged from late teens right up to those aged 40+. They also run beginner classes specifically for those over 55, so you're by no means too old at 26! :)

• Like 4