I Passed!!! Grade 6

Dormouse

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is brilliant - well done!

I'm interested in your comment about knee replacement as I have been told that is my next step, but they won't do it yet as I'm "too young" (and at 50 it's about the only occasion I am likely to be described as "too young" these days!). Just wondering how much it has affected you - are you able to do what you would have been able to do before having knee problems, would you say? I'm trying to hold off as long as possible, but if I have it done I would like to be able to continue doing Taekwondo, and I don't know if that's possible, or encouraged.

That is brilliant - well done!

I'm interested in your comment about knee replacement as I have been told that is my next step, but they won't do it yet as I'm "too young" (and at 50 it's about the only occasion I am likely to be described as "too young" these days!). Just wondering how much it has affected you - are you able to do what you would have been able to do before having knee problems, would you say? I'm trying to hold off as long as possible, but if I have it done I would like to be able to continue doing Taekwondo, and I don't know if that's possible, or encouraged.

I know nothing about Taekwondo, only ballet and Pilates. I had the operation on 25th June 2013, and I walked out of the hospital with no walking aids the following morning. I was back in class before the end of term, and having private ballet lessons within four weeks. At that time I wasn't allowed to do grand plies. I started back at ballet classes (Inter. Found.) in the September, and started Grade 6 after half term (my other class, Intermediate, had folded). I couldn't touch my bum with my left heel for about a year, my right heel just whizzes straight in easily. Initially I was scared of damaging myself when I knelt and twisted at the end of a free-movement exercise, but I can do that again now. The only thing that is still uncomfortable is kneeling right back so that my bum touches both heels. I was fit when I went in for the op. so that helped my recovery. It is said that one regrets having the op. for about six weeks, and then one regrets not having it done sooner. My personal opinion is that those who say that new knees only last 15 to 20 years, are talking about operations that happened well over 15 years ago. Techniques have improved since then. Good Luck whatever you decide.

• Like 5

Wow well done Dormouse! To be dancing at 71 is brill but to take on grade 6 is both enterprising and brave ...you deserve to have a bit if a brag!

I've just finished a ballet summer school fir Adults and there was one lady in the class who was 84! But you'd never have guessed it.

Wishing you many happy years dancing

I know nothing about Taekwondo, only ballet and Pilates. I had the operation on 25th June 2013, and I walked out of the hospital with no walking aids the following morning. I was back in class before the end of term, and having private ballet lessons within four weeks. At that time I wasn't allowed to do grand plies. I started back at ballet classes (Inter. Found.) in the September, and started Grade 6 after half term (my other class, Intermediate, had folded). I couldn't touch my bum with my left heel for about a year, my right heel just whizzes straight in easily. Initially I was scared of damaging myself when I knelt and twisted at the end of a free-movement exercise, but I can do that again now. The only thing that is still uncomfortable is kneeling right back so that my bum touches both heels. I was fit when I went in for the op. so that helped my recovery. It is said that one regrets having the op. for about six weeks, and then one regrets not having it done sooner. My personal opinion is that those who say that new knees only last 15 to 20 years, are talking about operations that happened well over 15 years ago. Techniques have improved since then. Good Luck whatever you decide.

Thank you Dormouse - it sounds as though there is hope for me yet! If I can do as well as you are obviously doing I will have no regrets. Congratulations again.

Thank you Dormouse - it sounds as though there is hope for me yet! If I can do as well as you are obviously doing I will have no regrets. Congratulations again.

I've known people to get back on horseback infeasibly soon after double knee replacements (and start hunting soon after!), and my karate instructor is on his second set, I believe. 

Edited by Colman
  • Like 1

Thank you for all your good wishes. I'm still over the moon about it. I'm upgrading my membership of the RAD from "friend" to "affiliate"! The new photograph was taken four years ago when I was the burgomaster in Coppelia.

• Like 8