sarahw

Ha ha dramascientist ........the prob in UK is ...how often do you get the opportunity to go out in shorts and probably one of those sports bra type tops!!!

I would like to comment more on that above link and especially how RADA is established for the likes of non super athletes etc.........does anyone know? And relevance of different age groups etc : pre puberty( up to 12) pre menopausal (12- 50) and post menopausal anyone over 50 etc

and thanks Michelle for posting ....but have to dash off to Pilates session! ( and remember to take my multi first!)

There is masses of research going on in America & in Australia about Vit D deficiency; the currently hypothesis is that the RDA is the minimum you need to maintain health (ie not get rickets or in the adult osteomalacia)

The maximum safe dose is 10,000 (not sure of the unit tbh) a day so the difference is vast - I think DD & I started on about 6,000 & have leveled out at 3,000 a day & it is anticipated that we will be on it for life as we were both tested mid summer (but different years) & our levels were so low

The main condition it is hoped to directly help is Depression and SAD, although for me the reduction in bone pain has been amazing.

• Like 1

Currently - although a found it easier to buy a multivitamin as my dd would only have the chewable ones!!!

I recently met a lady whose daughter was considering vocational training, and showed her a brief video on the RBS site. Her first comment was about how great it was to see children eating outside...

Is Vit D. the only supplement that vocational students are advised to take?

• 1 month later...

I'm always a little suspicious when it comes to taking supplements, just for the fact it's a millions of pounds industry, designed to make a profit. My other concern regarding vitamin D supplements, is you should really regularly monitor your levels, which can be costly like has been said.  I suppose someone with a vitamin D deficiency has no choice  but to take a supplement, otherwise I'd be very careful. Just look at the myth of cholesterol, another billions of pounds industry, so be certain what you're taking.

• Like 1

I thought I'd already mentioned this but it must have been in another forum. For very light-skinned people who are (or may be) at risk of skin cancer, the vitamin D remedy of sun exposure without sunscreen might not be advisable. I know the UK isn't normally a constant-sun environment, but if there's any skin cancer in the family, including basal cell carcinoma, it's worth mentioning to the doctor when figuring out how to get enough vitamin D.

I spent years being told to cover up and wear sunscreen whenever I was outside (especially the case when we lived in California and I'd had one skin cancer and one precursor thingy removed), and then the vitamin D levels started to be a thing so I was advised by a doctor in Maryland to spend more time exposed to sunlight. After I reminded him that I'd had a couple of run-ins with skin cancer, he said that probably wasn't such a good thing and to just be certain I was taking the supplement regularly.

Edited by Melody

Well there will always be individuals who are particularly susceptible to sun exposure so obviously you have to go by your own experience in this.

However for the average person the exposure required to get a daily dose of vitamin D isn't that much!

It's about 45 mins to an hour max a day.

So you can expose without sunscreen for the above time and then put sunscreen on for the rest of the day.

It is recommended though to go out between for 45 mins to an hour between 12 and 3 which is when the sun is at its strongest.

ThIs is for UK climate.

Perhaps if in the Med reduce the time to 30 mins to 45 mins. Most people would not get burned in that time but of course if you are one of the more susceptible individuals then Doctors advice should be sort.

After reading this thread, i am a bit worried that my dd is deficient in some vitamins and minerals. She is veggie and on a dairy free diet. Also she does go outside quite a bit, though wrapped up in about five layers at the moment, however not as much as her friends. She isn't a fussy eater by any means though.

Edited by BalletStars

It's been reported that Vitamin D can also reduce severe asthma attacks. I don't think it's coincidence that Asthma is on the rise and parents are told to slather on sunscreen.

We haven't used sunscreen for a few years, my son has sensitive skin and it irritated him. We did buy the Yaoh vegan one for a few years but since we've had a few holidays in sunny Pembrokeshire with no burning. My father is Jamaican so my kids have darker skin btw. I'm not advocating it but my children haven't burnt.

Apparently Mushrooms are rich in vitamin D as well as eggs for non meat/fish eaters.

Tatasmum: your comment is really interesting because at the moment my daughter is being taken on and off inhalers because they are trying to work out if she is asthmatic or not. Also, she is allergic to most sun creams though we have found one she is fine with and I generally do tell her to put it  on in the summer when she goes outside. I think I will try to get her to eat more eggs though I won't try mushrooms because she hates them. Also, she does drink soya milk - either sweetened alpro or tesco.

BalleStars,

My younger two are being tested for Asthma, I have it but the symptoms went away when I was ten and came back in my twenties. They are having the Spirometry test. I think my son's symptoms were related to pollen but my daughter gets breathless when exercising.