Hammond End of Year School Show

SwaybackSapphire

My DD and I went to watch the finale of The Hammond show yesterday and I was blown away by the talent of these young people. The dancing is very strong.

I would have liked to see more ballet in the Upper School part, however the "birds?" (Black feathery costumes) was one of my favourites.

Huge well done to all, you should all be really proud of yourselves xx

• Like 5

According to my programme it was called In Flight, was performed by 2nd years & choreographed by Tracy Baxter whose choreography is always very good.

Three of the pieces in the second half was student choreography (which I didn't realise when watching)

Same here Pictures !!! ..... Also a couple of numbers using MT students ?????,, My favourite number was also choreographed by a student and I really liked the in flight number and Gasp . The young man singing in Roses was phenomenal .

• Like 2

I also went to see the Forever Dance show at Hammond last week.  I thought the first half with the lower school was absolutely superb and really showcased all the styles and standards the pupils attain.  It was an eye opener for one of the people I was with to see just how tough her competition for upper school will be.

The second half, with the upper school I had some mixed feelings about.  I would have liked to see more ballet also. This is about the fifth end of year show I have been to, and bar last year when the professional students had already performed a full length ballet in the March, the end of year show has always been in three parts with the first part being ballet.  Its a shame there was so little this year.  I was surprised also to see more vocal numbers and the inclusion of drama and MT students, who had already performed in their own end of year productions.  Although I guess it does always depend on availability of students as much as anything else and quite a few of the graduate year have already started contracts.

I did however thoroughly enjoy the show and thought the standard as high as ever. My favourite pieces were Gasp and Supremacy, although it is quite difficult to choose as there were quite a few worthy options.  Well done to all the dancers!

• Like 1

The whole show was stunningly good. My DD will be soon embarking on year 7 auditions and I would be honoured and proud if she was lucky enough to be offered a place at Hammond amongst such creativity and talent. A huge well done to all involved!

I also saw the show 3 times and thought the lower school performances were overall the best I had seen in 4 years. I liked Flight best of the senior performances too and did think that there was less variety across the range shown by the seniors this year. A great show consistently performed.

It's a double edged sword isn't it? It's fantastic that some of the graduate year have already secured contracts but it does impact on the end of year show in either the fact that they have already left to start their contract or were not available for rehearsals whilst attending auditions & recalls.

I think that a couple of the guest appearances from the singers on the drama/MT/degree courses were used to cover costume changes & a couple of extra MT boys were drafted in to dance with the girls.

I loved lower school. Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini is a favourite piece of music of mine anyway & I loved how everyone got their chance. I saw it three times & some parts were double cast. The first two shows I saw I was looking out for my own daughter as it was her cast so it was nice on the Saturday to take in the whole picture on stage. I love Variation 18 with its sweeping strings & it was danced beautifully first by three couples, then two left & another two joined with the first couple being inthe spotlight. Gorgeous.

My other favourite piece was the year 7 & 8s in Barnum. Such character & talent. It was fun, crisp & demonstrated great technique. And the audience fell in love with the lovesick lad with a sweeping brush!

The David Bowie number was great with some sultry moves! This began with the year 9s & ended with the year 10s. A year 10 young lady really stood out for me in this one, fabulous style.

The riverdance tap was brilliant & again showcased everyone. Students enter the school with varying levels of experience of tap so it must have been challenging to choreograph a piece that included dancers who have only tapped for one year to those who are Advanced 1 & 2 level. I loved it & it made a fabulous end to the first half.

It was a great show, such talent in all genres and in all years.  I think those embarking on auditions should come and see what the schools have to offer and what level the children are dancing at even after a year or two at the school.  Two years at Hammond and my DD has soared.  So when those letters come in from RB or Elmhurst with 'not yet' take heart that other schools are out there that can provide a similar platform to shine and develop. :)

Favourite was Flight for US and Rhapsody LS!

• Like 7