World Ballet Day, 4th Oct., 2016

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, summing up, links are at:

Australian Ballet - post #89

Bolshoi Ballet - post #77 (no, that's last year's)

Royal Ballet - post #84

National Ballet of Canada - post #100

San Francisco Ballet - post #101

If anyone would like to post approximate split times for any of the live streams, I think the Moderators can probably merge them into one post.

Edited by alison
Correcting facts
  • Like 1

I'm catching up on World Ballet Day. I really love watching the Royal Ballet in class and hearing Darcey Bussell relay her experiences and technical knowledge- I think she has been a great addition to the coverage. Despite the frustrating cut-off to the class, I enjoyed hearing from Olivia Cowley about ballet fashion. Eric Underwood was great fun as a presenter too and it is so lovely to see Viviana Durante back with the company.

• Like 1

So, summing up, links are at:

Australian Ballet - post #89

Bolshoi Ballet - post #77

Royal Ballet - post #84

National Ballet of Canada - post #100

San Francisco Ballet - post #101

If anyone would like to post approximate split times for any of the live streams, I think the Moderators can probably merge them into one post.

post#77 is Bolshoi last year. Their segment for this year doesn't seem to be up yet.

Ah, right, thanks, Frank.  I'll amend it when they put the correct link up.

For anybody in the San Francisco area, I notice that they put up a 50% discount code during Diamonds: I don't know whether that applies only to that bill or not.

Youtube is fine. Perhaps better not to watch the frustrating 'live relay' and wait just a few hours longer to luxuriate in the recordings.

This is what I do -- I don't waste time (and suffer from frustration), I watch the video recordings later, except that I don't trust the companies, get the whole streamed video material and then assemble it for watching myself. Over 16 hours total of useful footage. The most interesting so far (from the professional point of view) seems to be Vaziev's rehearsal of Emeralds. I often hear soloists in Western companies complaining about the quality and quantity of coaching they receive. In contrast, Vaziev's approach is an old style attention to the tiniest technical detail as if the soloists were students at a ballet school. This certainly must be benefiting them a lot. Striving for perfection is the essence of ballet, after all. If you watch this segment in the future, take into account that this was their first stage rehearsal. Nobody escaped Vaziev attention, not even the least conspicuous corps member, most of it was directed, of course, at the soloists: Zhiganshina with Soares, Turazashvili with Alexeev, Khokhlova and Shrainer with Gainutdinov. An excellent opportunity denied to regular ballet goers to have a very close look at each of these dancers, all of them junior except Khokhlova, and especially so at Zhiganshina and Turazashvili. After Emeralds the attention switched to a rehearsal of The Golden Age where the main forces of the Bolshoi were employed.

Akimov's morning class at Bolshoi was also interesting to watch. Boris Akimov at 70 is simply amazing. One could have a close look at a number of Bolshoi dancers, the principals (in the order how they were lined up along the wall): Stepanova, Rodkin, Lantratov, Chudin; the leading soloists: Kretova, Tsvirko, Vinogradova; the soloists and first soloists: Parienko, Tikhomirova, and at least a few really interesting corps dancers (effectively coryphés): David Soares, the youngest "star" of Bolshoi, Alyona Kovalyova who had a major debut yesterday in Diamonds, in her first month with the company, another recent Vaganova graduate, Ksenia Zhiganshina, and Anastasia Denisova.

I am not going to burden the forum with my comments about other companies' segments, especially so that they are all available now on YouTube.

• Like 2

This is what I do -- I don't waste time (and suffer from frustration), I watch the video recordings later, except that I don't trust the companies, get the whole streamed video material and then assemble it for watching myself. Over 16 hours total of useful footage. The most interesting so far (from the professional point of view) seems to be Vaziev's rehearsal of Emeralds. I often hear soloists in Western companies complaining about the quality and quantity of coaching they receive. In contrast, Vaziev's approach is an old style attention to the tiniest technical detail as if the soloists were students at a ballet school. This certainly must be benefiting them a lot. Striving for perfection is the essence of ballet, after all. If you watch this segment in the future, take into account that this was their first stage rehearsal. Nobody escaped Vaziev attention, not even the least conspicuous corps member, most of it was directed, of course, at the soloists: Zhiganshina with Soares, Turazashvili with Alexeev, Khokhlova and Shrainer with Gainutdinov. An excellent opportunity denied to regular ballet goers to have a very close look at each of these dancers, all of them junior except Khokhlova, and especially so at Zhiganshina and Turazashvili. After Emeralds the attention switched to a rehearsal of The Golden Age where the main forces of the Bolshoi were employed.

Akimov's morning class at Bolshoi was also interesting to watch. Boris Akimov at 70 is simply amazing. One could have a close look at a number of Bolshoi dancers, the principals (in the order how they were lined up along the wall): Stepanova, Rodkin, Lantratov, Chudin; the leading soloists: Kretova, Tsvirko, Vinogradova; the soloists and first soloists: Parienko, Tikhomirova, and at least a few really interesting corps dancers (effectively coryphés): David Soares, the youngest "star" of Bolshoi, Alyona Kovalyova who had a major debut yesterday in Diamonds, in her first month with the company, another recent Vaganova graduate, Ksenia Zhiganshina, and Anastasia Denisova.

I am not going to burden the forum with my comments about other companies' segments, especially so that they are all available now on YouTube.

How did you download the feed to watch it later? Would love to be able to do that!

Dutch National Ballet's segment, rehearsal of Bayadere by Natalia Makarova, starring Anna Tygankova, Daniel Camargo and Sasha Mukhamedov

Coaching by Natalia Makarova, a real pity so little has been filmed. If they did the whole La Bayadère rehearsal with Makarova, and made it available, that would be of incalculable value for young dancers anywhere.

• Like 2

If they are hosted on YouTube it is a breach of their Terms of Service (see section 5) to download videos, so I don't think we should be giving implicit encouragement to forum members to do that.

Yes, understood.  On Facebook, however, there is a feature that permits you to save posts within the Facebook app for future viewing.  I wish I had remembered to try that.

Newbie on this forum - after searching for information about faults in ROH relay of 2016 World Ballet Day.

From so many complaints, it seems clear that users' many and various ISP streams were affected, and it follows that it was the original server service that was at fault.   Something went wrong with the Facebook Live streaming.  I experienced the same fault as others have recorded, an interruption to the Royal Ballet transmission, with all efforts to continue being redirected to the same original fault in the stream - a Ms Macmillan piece to camera, before getting stuck again.  I was using the World Ballet Day website rather than the Royal Opera House website, but tried others before the fault was cleared.

It seems to me that the streaming software, which was from "ooyala.com" was not being actively monitored, else the fault should have been cleared much faster than about the three quarters of an hour that I experienced.   It appears that the streaming software buffers the output to the end viewer, for example to deliver all of the content across an interruption in an ISP server stream, thus the end user's watching recommences some time behind the live stream.  To that end reloading the software started initially to deliver the current stream, but it updated itself after about two seconds to go back to deliver the stream from the point it was interrupted ie at Ms Macmillan.  Once the delayed stream was playing, a selection bar under the video was available to move around the buffer, but it appeared to be covering several hours and all my attempts to rejoin the live stream at the rightmost point were thwarted by being bumped back to the Ms Macmillan break in the Royal Ballet.  

I watched the whole 20 hours, and this fault only happened on the Royal Ballet streaming  (The YouTube recording of the Royal Ballet appears to be faultless).  It prompts the thought that maybe there was someone monitoring the output in London, and at mid-day they were minded to take a break as everything was running well and it was the home transmission from the ROH - so they didn't see the fault as it happened and the flaw in their software!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...