Is anyone familiar with the Mayflower?

I'm thinking about going to Southampton to see Akram Khan's new Giselle for ENB in October. Is the theatre huge? Where to sit? If the ring or the balcony is too far away, is it worth to buy seats in the stalls?

I know this is the Balletco Forum and not a travel agency, but is Southampton an interesting destination in itself? I'd spend a day or so there before going to London for some more ballet...!

Southampton Mayflower is a large venue so I would go front of Dress circle or Mid Stalls. The town is pleasant with the industrial busy harbour area and the tributes and exhibitions regarding the Titanic and Shipping history. It is worth spending a day in, however it is more of a shopping destination than a natural beauty spot. For shopping it's worth exploring West Quay in the town centre. The neighbouring New Forest is a British Treasure and well worth spending a couple of days hiking, exploring and admiring all the ponies, cows, donkeys and pigs that are free to roam wherever they wish in the villages, fields and roads. 

Thank you for your useful information! I'll book as soon as Mr P has made up his mind if he wants to join. It's a pity I'll have not enough time to go hiking in the New Forest, but will keep it in mind!

Hello PointeBlanc and welcome to the Forum!

Thanks for the information about the Mayflower.  I visited the theatre to see Sadler's Wells Royal Ballet, so probably nearly 30 years ago!  I sat mid-stalls and, from what I can remember, enjoyed the view!

Sounds like you are planning a great trip Petunia!

It is large and has a very deep (in both senses) pit - even the front row of the stalls, where I have sat a few times for Welsh National Opera performances, feels a long way from the stage compared with my occasional treats in front row at ROH or ENB.  I don't like it as a venue, tbh - too big, so almost always half-empty.  BUT it's super-convenient for trains (only five minutes' walk from the station) and now has a couple of really nice places to eat nearby, which was not the case even five years ago (look up the Vestry restaurant).

• Like 1

When we saw NDT2 there a few months ago, the Manager, who was conducting the Q and A post-performance said, in terms, that he was fairly new in post and was determined to bring as much dance to the Mayflower as possible. He was quite eloquent about the importance of dance to the cultural life of the country. So I hope that the Khan Giselle will be well-attended : We need more managers like him!

Re seats : the stalls have a fairly good rake and front circle is also fine, but as others have said it is a very big place, and even front row stalls feels a long way from the stage across the orchestra pit!

• Like 2

Thank you for starting the thread, Petunia.  I thought we already had one on the subject, but I can't find it, so perhaps we've just discussed seating in various ENB/BRB threads.  You might also be interested in the related thread I started on where to eat: http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/10935-restaurants-in-southampton/?hl=mayflower

• Like 1

I went to see the Northern Ballet production of Wuthering Heights - sat towards the front of the stalls - great view. I agree it is is quite large, I think sitting directly in front of the orchestra pit looked like a great place as you are the same height as the stage. I have also sat further back to see something else but it is quite a long way away. I have not sat in the balcony or circle. 

It is close to the train station (links to London Waterloo and the New Forest) and West Quay shopping centre (with a John Lewis), Ikea (lovely meatballs), a large retail park and the main shopping street. I You can marvel (or not) at the massive cruise ships in the do. I have attended a meeting in the Holiday Inn which is nearby (walking distance) - seemed nice and has a swimming pool.

There are ferries to the Isle of Wight as mentioned above as well. 

I am also hoping to go and see Giselle.

Edited by Sandsfoot
  • Like 1

We use the Mayflower a lot. Front row of dress circle good, or even balcony which is often lots cheaper (so can visit more often!) And is great for views. Row B is front, not A, due to safety)

Allow a lit of extra time if football is on as it's chaos in town.

Really recommend La Traveatta (that's so not spelt right lol) little Italian near by.

• Like 1

The thing I find a bit irritating about the balcony is that it gets swept by the follow spots quite a lot.  I find it rather distracting to suddenly have a fairly bright light sweeping over me.  It's also fairly steep, I think.

The thing I find a bit irritating about the balcony is that it gets swept by the follow spots quite a lot.  I find it rather distracting to suddenly have a fairly bright light sweeping over me.  It's also fairly steep, I think.

Oooo I've never had that issue with lights before. I'll watch out for that

But yes, definitely VERY steep.

At least in the amphi there is frequently an alternative (not necessarily very convenient) to having to walk *down* the stairs.  At the Mayflower (as at the New Wimbledon Theatre, which I think is even worse), you don't have the option, because the entrance is at the back.  (Actually, there *is* a side *exit* down the front, because I used it last year when I had to dash for a train, but I don't think you can get in that way).