Restaurants in Southampton?

alison

There is also The Vestry, in the converted church opposite the Mayflower.  Very nice but you would probably have to book.  Further up the road is Buffalo Bills, informal american cooking, burgers, chilli etc. but good quality, not fast food.  A few minutes walk away is Turtle Bay, Caribbean cooking and great fun, amazing cocktails too!

• Like 1

The Vestry is great! I went there a couple of weeks ago when I was there for Welsh National Opera.  I only had an hour to spare having come straight down from London after work, but the service was so swift that I was able not only to have three courses but coffee as well.  In the few hours before a show at the Mayflower they ONLY offer the fixed-price pre-theatre menu, which in my opinion was very good value, not to mention varied (six or seven choices of starter and main, including a variety of vegetarian and gluten-free options).

Service was lovely and friendly and the food was absolutely delicious.  Highly recommended - it's only been there three or four years, and the choice in the immediate vicinity used to be rather limited.

• Like 2

Nothing to do with ballet this time but will be in Southampton tomorrow so may give these restaurants a look over though it's my partners birthday so no doubt we will end up with fish and chips!! Any local recommendations for this?!

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone.  The Vestry does sound very nice, although it really is a bit over my budget as well.  I was just so surprised that there seemed to be so few restaurants in Soton: I tried the Discover Southampton website, did the Google Maps thingy and nothing much came up in that area at all, despite the fact that I knew there were eateries on Commercial Road, and also Above Bar and London Road too, I think.  I also see that the West Quay shopping centre is open until late and has a few eateries.  I think most things are further down, towards Oxford Street and the quay area.

There used to be a lovely little eat-in Chinese called the Orchid, a little further up the hill beyond the Mayflower on the other side of the road, but it closed down :(  It was great for arriving off a train from London at 6:30 and getting fed a big cheap plate of noodles with ample time to spare prior to a 7:15 start.

There is also an Italian place which I think is quite cheap and currently run as an all-you-can-eat buffet.  Same side of the road as the Mayflower, next block down the hill.  I forget what it's called, but know a couple of people who like it for pre-theatre.

Nothing to do with ballet this time but will be in Southampton tomorrow so may give these restaurants a look over though it's my partners birthday so no doubt we will end up with fish and chips!! Any local recommendations for this?!

Bit late, but there's a Harry Ramsden's in West Quay shopping centre - along with a lot of eateries.

It seems that I'm a bit premature here: there is currently a 20-restaurant development going on next to West Quay, and there's also a new development opening up at the top of Commercial Road, at the junction with Above Bar, to the side of the city hall.  Unfortunately, at the moment the only thing open is Nando's.

• Like 1

Thanks for the Harry Ramsden tip! Maybe another time......though they do vary a lot these days not usually a patch on the one up in Leeds which started it all. I hate the one in brighton but last year we found a decent one on Bournemouth beach of all places.

In the end we were a bit pushed for time ....as we were eventually heading for Christchurch .......so ended up in the IKEA cafe!!