Character solo dance ideas

Waltzingmatilda

Please could anyone give me suggestions for DD age 13 solo character dance as we don't seem to be getting very far.  She will be doing the dance for festival solo.  We are supposed to come up with a 'character' and a story line?!.  I am stalling with her dance teacher at the moment saying 'the right character hasn't quite come to mind yet' - rather than 'I have no idea whatsoever'! We see a lot of 'Alice', 'Dorothy', Disney Princess type characters at festivals so am hoping for something other than those - can anyone help this poor dance mum whose imagination seems to have departed poor overloaded brain.......

I've seen my DD and her friends  with a few winners.  Dependent on whether your DD is looking for dramatic or comedy here are ,my suggestions

Comedy - babysitter with baby who won't stop crying

Dramatic - Girl dreaming of spiders  (always a winner)

- Spirit of the titanic - girl on titanic who then realises she is a ghost ( always a winner)

- passenger on the titanic (any class) trying to escape

- matador fighting a bull

Pretty - girl dreaming of dancing with the boy of her dreams ( very 50's style)

All have been done at age 13/14 and are a little different from the norm

Hope that helps

thank you so so much for all above fantastic ideas and she can have props munchkin and maybe a prop or two might help with the acting.....I have seen all sorts at these festivals including beach towels, tables, boxes, chairs, mice?! yes mice, toto's, swords....i shall try not to go into meltdown and see this as another 'learning curve in strange dance world' and I will hopefully be able to pick idea, buy costume on ebay and that will be that - dance teacher and dd do the rest and I can watch and remember to breathe!

• Like 2

If you can think of a character from a film that is of interest, film scores are often a good source of music for character dances, as the music is written to deliberately suggest the characters or action. The main themes of well known films are a bit cliched maybe, but if you listen to full scores there is often really good music in there, that tells a story really well.

Also what sort of character does your dd want to portray? cheeky, sassy, soulful, a heroine? Something that's suits her personality will help her to bring it to life. Have a synopsis if that helps (just a couple of sentences to set the scene). Where props are concerned I would definitely say that less is more. Small items are apt to get dropped or lost and if they are big its a lot of hassle to haul them around the theatre from one festival to the next. Have fun and good luck to your dd.

My girls are 12 & 14, a few of their recent character solos have been a girl lost in the desert, Nikiya from La Bayadere, a girl at a grape harvest, a girl waiting up for Santa (this one was a nightmare for me with a Christmas tree & presents plus a table & chair etc for props).  All of these solos have placed in eisteddfods.    

I'm also lucky that our teacher chooses the theme.  Good luck choosing something that your DD & her teacher are happy with :)