English Youth Ballet - Nutcracker

dancing10

Watched this in Buxton a few months back. There was reed pipes, Arabian, Chinese, lollipops, boys did a horn pipe I think. I watched 2 EYB shows really close together so I can't quite remember if the harlequins were swan lake or nutcracker. The Spanish was a group dance in swan lake so I think it was a professional dance in nutcracker. I think the mice tend to be reed pipes two of my students were nice and reed pipes. The little dolls in act 1 were lovely. As were the snow flakes.

I also saw the Buxton shows as DD was taking part. All the dancers appeared in the second half :-). As Bluebird says there is an Arabian dance ( 8 girls)-  en pointe, Spanish Dance - at Buxton a group of 4 girls, Dance of the Reed Pipes ( 6 girls)- en pointe, Chinese dance - younger girls and boys ( 8 I think) Sweets ( lollipop) again younger girls, Jig dance for the older  boys, Russian dance ( older girls who weren't en pointe ) and a lovely dance of the Sugar flowers - again older girls majority en pointe . 4 Sugar plum attendants featured in this - (older  more advanced dancers) There are also some fab solos and pas de deux from the Principals.  The snowflakes also were on at the start of act 2 but their main dance is in the first act . There weren't any Harlequins :-) I suspect the numbers and age groups can vary  depending on the cast .  

Hope this helps :-)

Edited by Littleone

When dd did the Nutcracker (5 or 6 years ago so it may have changed), Clara sat on a chair at the back of the stage and watched the various national dances. I don't remember any solos in Act 2 - they were all group dances of varying group size, but happy to be corrected if this has changed.

There were no solo parts as such but the Sugar Plum attendants and one of the advanced boys had small solo/duet parts which were lovely ! I think Miss Lewis will maybe adjust  the choreography a little to allow the dancers to show their talents :-)

My DD was lucky enough to be Clara and at Buxton she did a 'Mime' seen at the start of Act 2 ,joined in with the Reed Pipes and also danced a little with the Sugar Flowers - mainly Clara sits on a fancy chair at the back of the stage watching the Divertissements :-) 

Edited by Littleone
  • Like 2