Marks in ballet exam

Primaballerina1

I googled ISTD ballet marking scheme and found that like the RAD, the ISTD has exam specifications on their website, assuming your dd does Imperial rather than Cecchetti ballet, as the specification I found is for Imperial.

On page 30 of the attached specification, it looks as if Free Movement accounts for a possible 10 marks out of the total 100: http://www.istd.org/about-us/documents/imperial-classical-ballet-syllabus-outline-2014/1imperial-ballet-classical-ballet-syllabus-outline-july-2014.pdf

However it might be worth also checking with your dd's teacher who will know more.

Agree with Anna C - DD has always done ISTD, and that free work / response / knowledge of the syllabus part accounts for 10 marks.

However, there are other aspects that may be affected by poor free work because they are assessed across the whole exam - e.g. port de bras, musicality / artistry. There are, by contrast, things she might have got marks for - e.g. knowledge of the syllabus - even if the dancing iof the free work went a bit wonky!

• Like 1

Please tell your dd not to fret.  A little bit of wonky dancing is often overtaken by the technique and all the good stuff.  My dd took her grade 5 ballet in November and ended up on the wrong leg in one of the exercises.  She was really annoyed with herself and felt that she had messed up the exam.  Results were given out yesterday - 90/100 Distinction!   Sometimes dancers are just too hard on themselves.

• Like 6

Please tell your dd not to fret.  A little bit of wonky dancing is often overtaken by the technique and all the good stuff.  My dd took her grade 5 ballet in November and ended up on the wrong leg in one of the exercises.  She was really annoyed with herself and felt that she had messed up the exam.  Results were given out yesterday - 90/100 Distinction!   Sometimes dancers are just too hard on themselves.

And not just dancers - most of us have a tendency to focus on the negative after exams. I have managed to convince myself that I have failed numerous academic exams over the years by focusing on the small amount of questions I couldn't answer and ignoring the large chunks that I had no problem with! My middle child came out of him grade 4 piano exam a few weeks ago with a very glum face because he had had to restart one of the pieces, which obviously meant he had failed. He in fact got 90%,and I imagine the examiner asked him to restart the piece as it was obvious to her that he had just got into a flap and was perfectly capable. I think its human nature that negative things stick in our minds more clearly than positive ones. Best thing is to try to forget about it all until the results come, as the more you try to analyse things, the worse you generally become convinced things are!

• Like 8

• 1 month later...