Getting one's exercise at Covent Garden tube station

toursenlair

Here's a fun map that shows how many times you'd have to walk up the stairs or escalators at various tube stations to have climbed the equivalent height of some of the world's tallest mountains. Apparently 166 times up the stairs at Covent Garden equals climbing Mt Denali in Washington State. I did the stairs at Covent Garden once, and it felt like Everest! And since I hate those rickety lifts, now I get off at Leicester Square or Holborn and walk!

http://www.timeout.com/london/blog/this-tube-map-shows-how-you-could-climb-mount-everest-on-the-underground-110515

• Like 4

Knew there was some reason why my husband insists on us climbing the stairs at Covent Garden and Russell Square - obviously preparing us for something. My dd only commented the other day on the commuters who run up the stairs at Covent Garden, said it must be cheaper than a London gym.

When I lived in London I always used to walk up the stairs at Covent Garden, though in recent years when I visit they are usually closed,.  One of the funniest moments was when I was being followed up by some American tourists - it was a hot summer day and I was wearing a cotton frock and high heeled sandals.  As I gradually left them behind, I heard one mutter "Gee and wearing high heels too!"  They didn't seem to realise, that even in flats I would only have had the ball of my foot on the step, so the height of the heels was irrelevant.

This summer I went up the steps to the roof of Milan cathedral - 250 steps - rather than go in the lift (extra charge). Fabulous view, really an enchanting place with different levels and walkways through the flying buttresses!

We have done that too. It was wonderful and doesn't seem anywhere near as taxing as tube station steps. We always have to climb to the top of towers/buildings when on holiday to appreciate the view - a real passion of my husbands.

What bliss: Covent Garden Station has reopened fully :) Gone are the days, after a performance at the ROH, of fighting the crowds at Leicester Square or of opting for Holborn - both options designed to bring one back to earth unduly quickly. And, last night (after Carmen) CGS was unusually quiet. However, only time will tell whether or not the increased capacity in the 4 lifts will ease the nightly crush.

• Like 2

Isn't it this month when the ghost walks on the stairs at Covent Garden tube?

What???

What bliss: Covent Garden Station has reopened fully :) Gone are the days, after a performance at the ROH, of fighting the crowds at Leicester Square or of opting for Holborn - both options designed to bring one back to earth unduly quickly. And, last night (after Carmen) CGS was unusually quiet. However, only time will tell whether or not the increased capacity in the 4 lifts will ease the nightly crush.

I thought when I got out there this evening "Funny, looks as though none of the lifts are blocked off any more".  Hurrah, and I'm sure Annabel will be pleased when she reads this.  But I thought the gates were still closed for entry at about 6 pm?

Isn't it this month when the ghost walks on the stairs at Covent Garden tube?

Do you mean the ghost of William Terris?  He was the actor-manager who was murdered by a bit player at the Adelphi Theatre and he used to frequent the baker's shop which previously occupied the site of the station.  He died in December 1897 and has been spotted and heard rapping on a dressing room in the theatre.  He was also seen in Maiden Lane and in the control room and staff room of the tube station.  Apparently he was seen so frequently there that staff refused to work until a seance and an exorcism were held in 1956 to identify and drive him out.

But Covent Garden is thick with ghosts including the ones in the Nell Gwyn, the Theatre Royal & Rules restaurant.  Ben Aaronovitch's brilliantly funny crime novel, Rivers of London, even features a ghost as witness to a murder in the porch of the actors' church, St Pauls.  The book also features a riot on stage at the ROH so it's a must for lovers of opera as well as detective stories. :)

Linda