Jubilee Celebrations - what are you doing?

Pups_mum

Just wondered what everyone is up to for the Jubilee Weekend? Are you entering into the full red white and blue spirit of things or keeping out of the way til it's all over? Plenty going on at our end. My boys' school had a lovely garden party this afternoon in glorious sunshine and at the weekend there is a big festival in our nearest town, complete with tall ships, the red arrows and a firework display that promises to be spectacular. The highlight is on Sunday afternoon though, in our parish church. My DD is singing as part of a "Songs of Celebration" concert, accompanied by her father on piano. DD is perfectly relaxed about it as she's no stranger to such events, but my poor husband is not. At the ripe old age of 47 he is making his first ever public performance and he is very nervous. I am teasing him mercilessly, though secretly I am very proud of him (and DD of course.) :wub:

What's on everyone else's agenda?

• Like 2

We had a village jubilee party last night, piggybacking on the primary school hog roast. It was a great success with all generations turning up. The children did a special dance chroeographed by the dance teacher that visits the school. The "oldies" village choir sang old favourites and brought the puddings. Lots of union jacks everywhere :)

Tuesday dd and ds sing in a local village church for a special evensong celebrating the jubilee then we are doing a big multigenerational family tea party.

Have a great w/e everyone. whatever you are doing.

• Like 2

Today, hung up bunting, went clothes shopping, saw a Lancaster Bomber flying very low and very loud!, dd having sleepover.

Tomorrow, family dinner

Monday, possibly a walk in the rain?

Tuesday, street party

Wednesday, into London for pointe shoes

• Like 1

In Montreal, my sister was flipping between two channels. I hear that the French one had Karl Lagerfeld on at one point, and that he thought the Queen's outfit for the day was OK, but that the shawl eventually worn for a bit of warmth let things down - there should have been a cape to hand. Personally, I do hope that the Duchess of Cambridge had some thermal kit on under her red outfit - she looked pretty chilled from about 5pm onwards!

Edit to add that fingers are tightly crossed here regarding today's weather - we're due at the Jubilee event in one of the villages nearby later today.

• Like 1

Well, a friend and I were two of the mugs who decided to brave the Sunday train service (was there a single non-moronic rail company serving London which had the sense to run a Saturday service? Did it occur to anyone that this was the most significant Jubilee event from the point of the non-invited public, and might therefore be, ah, quite popular?) to look at the ships. We weren't allowed within about 50 yards of the river, so that was a waste of time. But I did go up again today to see what remained of the Avenue of Sail, and was fortunate enough to see Gloriana mooring in St. Katharine Dock, so that was something.

Had a fab night on the sofa with OH and girls...and dogs & cats, messing about...laughing...until we cried....but not sure why...and singing along to the jubilee concert...a thoroughly enjoyable evening :) just so nice to all be together & not working/dancing etc!

BBQ fancy dress at friend's tomorrow, so fingers crossed for sunshine!

Fiz: Wicken Bonhunt's Jubilee event was a bit affected by weather, but a good spirit prevailed and most were still there as the sun returned for a Last Night of the Proms finale. And then to the TV for the Concert. Early Links done today .... so now to the Service and I'm naturally hoping that the weather over London will hold for the RAF Flypast!

• Like 1

MOD has released some nice footage of the flypast, taken by/in the participants. Let me add that the conditions were not of the best at 3-30 yesterday and appeared to be deteriorating, so it was good that they got it all in on time:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18334001

Am I permitted a war story? In July 1968, I was the navigator on a crew due to drop the RAF Falcons Freefall Display Team into the park of Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh during a Review of HM Forces based in Scotland. The weather was decidedly dodgy, with those on parade getting very wet indeed, and we rumbled across Edinburgh at low level in the hope that we might see enough to release the jumpers for an immediate ripcord pull before steering to land - and, as you get just one chance on these occasions, it was hopeless. So we landed back at Turnhouse to watch the remainder of the proceedings on TV ..... as the sun came out!!

• Like 3

Some rat bag stole the Jubilee Union flag bow we had on our front door and another internet friend had a special decoration her mother had flown in from Argentina stolen! How mean spirited some people are!