Has anyone seen this?

PrincessandtheFrog

Yes - when I have raised concerns recently about this matter there are a couple of schools who have been very defensive and then post all sorts of pictures and comments on social media referring to 'haters' and 'jealousy'. 

Heaven forbid I might actually be concerned for childrens' wellbeing!

• Like 5

Yes - when I have raised concerns recently about this matter there are a couple of schools who have been very defensive and then post all sorts of pictures and comments on social media referring to 'haters' and 'jealousy'. 

Good grief, drdance! Are these full-time vocational schools?

I think I might know this school as it was another one that DD followed but I actually deleted it from her instagram as I thought it was too much! And yes, that is exactly the kind of comments they were putting up.

Just to add, this isn't the school I was referring to in my post above, and neither of these are vocational schools, but they are big dance schools who compete in lots of competitions, not just a little village dance school with one or two classes.

My dd is in year 7 at RBS and she says the teacher has positively discouraged any hypermobility type poses - says they are here to learn technique and are not on dance moms. Very glad to hear!! Although they obviously want excellent turnout my dd never thought she would get into WL as she is not hyperflexible and was worried that she couldn't do these poses that are all over instagram!

• Like 14

• 2 months later...

There's another video as a follow up to the one originally posted ...

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2015/s4330305.htm

I can say that since we moved dance schools in December and away from the competition team (emphasis on flexibility and tricks) my dd has been told in no uncertain terms by new teacher and her CAT manager to forget tricks and focus on being the best she can be with solid technique and turnout. Otherwise she will be throwing a career in dance away!

DD is perfectly happy now this message has been understood loud and clear. She's substituted her 'scorpion' pics on social media with pics of her best arabesque instead. Instead of over stretched leg tilts she's more interested on perfecting pirouettes and filming herself in slow-mo.

It's just shows about education and awareness and how vulnerable our children are to be led by 'teachers' who should know better but from our experience they (teachers) didn't know any different. When I asked DD's old dance teachers about over training they responded that there was no such thing.

Thank goodness for the Internet as otherwise I wouldn't have had access to anywhere near the info that I have been able to access.

Dd still does splits but that's all. No more over-stretching or extreme exercises and back bends.

• Like 7