Ballet schools around Lewes or Brighton?

Hootenanny

We're hoping to move to Lewes in the next few months and will be looking for dance school(s). My daughter is 12 and will have done her RAD Ballet Grade 3 exam in November and is also doing contemporary dance. Could anyone recommend a school or schools that would be good to check out?

Thanks,

Tara

If you want serious quality training (and that doesn't mean not fun! just amazing ) my recommendation (having had 3 DKs who have tried several different schools) would be Judy Breen who has classes in Lewes and Hassocks. Vaganova trained and an exceptional teacher. She's responsible for all my son's love of ballet and success at gaining a vocational school place of his choice, and everything else that has followed on from that. Can't rate her highly enough...

and ps- welcome to Lewes!

Edited by CeliB
  • Like 7

I too would second the recommendation of Judy Breen. My dd trained with her for two years and is now in her third final year of training at full-time vocational school. For Jazz, Modem & Tap though you would have to look for a separate school. Drusilla Duffill in Burgess Hill or Rox or A2 Arts in Hove are good.

• Like 1

I can also endorse Judy whole heartedly ....lovely lady and I attend her adult ballet class every week but she has a lot of success with younger people who are serious about ballet etc.too.

There is also the Brighton Ballet School I will send you the link to this.

This follows BBO syllabus throughout all the grades up to grade 8 .....again I know this school via participating in their adult classes and one of the teachers there is ex BRB. There is a full school for younger age group though including tap and contemporary.

There are also schools just for younger pupils (3- 16) which follow RAD syllabus. I don't know so,much about these but easily found by Google etc.

In Lewes there is also a very good ...more theatre school ..for young people who do summer schools and regular courses but am in London at the moment will get the name to you as soon as I can.

There is also East Sussex Dance School which also does ballroom dancing!

As I know Brighton and Lewes really well and have taught in various schools there you can also pm me for any other info you may need

About local schools etc or shopping!! Best pubs and individual shops and so on. We shop more in Lewes than Brighton as we really love the general ambience of Lewes .....it's a great place and area to live!!

• Like 2

The theatre school I was mentioning is called Kaleidoscope Theatre Company : info@kaleidoscopetheatre.org.uk. 01273 473554

There is also another one to called Stagecoach Lewes ; lewes@ stagecoach.co.uk 01273 504380

Hope these prove useful

I would beware of Stagecoach drama schools. They are franchises. They can be very good but it varies enormously. None of them offer enough dance, singing or drama. In the worst examples, they are an expensive three hour child minder. We used Stagecoach but when it became clear that both of our ex dds were serious about performing, we sought other options.

• Like 2