Please help me find a class?

munchkin16

I'm looking for an adult ballet class or one that will take a 20 year old. I've been dancing for over 4 years, roughly at intermediate but I will take any class I can get.

Does anyone know a class near Guildford, Woking, Farnham area that is accessible by public transport? Oh and now for the hard part, preferably a Monday or Tuesday evening as I work 7 days a week! But I'll take any ideas as I may be able to change my schedule around. Thank you so much, I'm missing ballet!

• Like 1

I'm looking for an adult ballet class or one that will take a 20 year old. I've been dancing for over 4 years, roughly at intermediate but I will take any class I can get.

Does anyone know a class near Guildford, Woking, Farnham area that is accessible by public transport? Oh and now for the hard part, preferably a Monday or Tuesday evening as I work 7 days a week! But I'll take any ideas as I may be able to change my schedule around. Thank you so much, I'm missing ballet!

Have a look at Woking Dance Space. 

Thank you everyone for your help, I managed to find one I thought would work actually in my town but unfortunately the teacher completely put me off and I'm normally not fussy! I'm still recovering from being really ill over summer so those are probably too far for a regular basis on top of work unfortunately.

Has anyone heard of First Dance in Woking? Any idea what they are like? I looked at their timetable and they might actually have a class at the right time! I looked at Woking Dance space but the evening classes are too late for trains with work early the next morning :(

Probably too far away but the bus does go there from Guildford/Farnham. Absolutely amazing dance school in Alton (Vanessa Golborn School of Dance) and they have Adult Ballet on a Monday evening. Adults also welcome to join syllabus classes if they want - I always join in when I'm that end of the country! They will answer any questions you have if it's any use to you: 

http://www.vgdance.co.uk/timetable-1/

Probably too far away but the bus does go there from Guildford/Farnham. Absolutely amazing dance school in Alton (Vanessa Golborn School of Dance) and they have Adult Ballet on a Monday evening. Adults also welcome to join syllabus classes if they want - I always join in when I'm that end of the country! They will answer any questions you have if it's any use to you:

http://www.vgdance.co.uk/timetable-1/

Thanks this is actually very accessible and Monday nights would work but I was a little concerned looking at the timetable that adult ballet is only 45 minutes. Isn't that a bit short?! I've always thought that a proper class was supposed to be at least 1hr if not ideally 1.5hrs?

I know what you mean - does sound a bit short. Possibly an issue with what time they can book the room til or something. I think also perhaps they tend to do more shorter classes - most aren't more than an hour but I never noticed it being too short when I danced there although most of my classes are longer where I dance now. The teaching is absolutely top quality and Vanessa and Emily (guessing it's Vanessa who takes adult ballet) really open, honest, will answer any questions you have and won't take offence at them. Great technique teaching and they really try and work out with you why and how to make your body work better and to improve things. OK I'll stop raving now!

My advice would be drop them an email/phone call/Facebook message and ask anything you want to know and go for a trial lesson. If you don't gel with it or it's too short no obligation to stay!

No it's great to have a personal recommendation! I've emailed them and am going to give it a try but might have to figure out how to get there as it isn't that close to the station... Friday nights sound amazing but that's my really busy night at work so there's no way I can get the time off to get there and back as well :(

Cool :) Yes it's quite a walk from the station. Back when I was about 16 I had a Saturday morning job in the secondhand bookshop near the station and had to hare all the way down there (about 2 miles I think) for class in about half an hour. Was a bit mad! I think the Winchester bus goes from the station to right by the Sports Centre (64 or X64?) but no idea what times/how often.

Ah fair enough I know all about busy work :( Let us know how it goes if you do pay a visit! 

Cool :) Yes it's quite a walk from the station. Back when I was about 16 I had a Saturday morning job in the secondhand bookshop near the station and had to hare all the way down there (about 2 miles I think) for class in about half an hour. Was a bit mad! I think the Winchester bus goes from the station to right by the Sports Centre (64 or X64?) but no idea what times/how often.

Ah fair enough I know all about busy work :( Let us know how it goes if you do pay a visit! 

Buses stop quite early, should take 20/25 mins to walk

Unfortunately that's probably too far to walk in a dark evening. I need to learn to drive! On the positive side I'm in London tomorrow so I'm trying the beginners adult drop in class at London Russian ballet school... Anyone have any tips to prepare me?!

I got a message back from the First Dance place in Woking that has a convenient timed class so I might give that a go at some point too.

• 1 month later...

Hi munchkin16,

how are you doing? Have you found somewhere? I know you said Surrey but if you are ever in london in the evenings then please feel free to do a taster class with us for free.

In fulham at ENBS we have Intermediate class on monday evenings at 19:30-21:00 taught by Helen Crawford (RB). She's a lovely teacher and very good with adults.

In Farringdon we have our wednesday beginner class with Layla Harrison at Central School of Ballet at 19:45-20:45. Layla is fantastic and hugely popular (if you saw Phantom over the past 8 years you probably saw her perform "Meg").

Please feel free to email me on henry.stclair@crystalballet.com and come along for free to see how you like it.

In Farringdon we have our wednesday beginner class with Layla Harrison at Central School of Ballet at 19:45-20:45. Layla is fantastic and hugely popular (if you saw Phantom over the past 8 years you probably saw her perform "Meg").

Has she given that up, then, Henry?  She was still in it last time I went - I recognised the name.

• Like 1