RIP Mandev Sokhi - Ballet Cymru

That is so sad.

I met Mandev for the first time only last week when I visited Ballet Cymru with London Ballet Circle.

I admired his work very much. He was a great beast in Beauty and the Beast and I enjoyed his other performances too.

I believe he leaves a widow who is also a dancer. I shall hold Mandev and his family in the Light.

Devastated. He was such an inspirational teacher as well as a truly amazing dancer. Honestly hust can't believe it????????

My thoughts are with all of his family and the company

Edited by Guest

Very very sad news. Such a great dancer and teacher - my DD Loved his classes so much. I didn't tell her yet.

I can't help feeling uncomfortable with this being on "not dance". Earlier today I've searched "doing dance" and "dance news" for information about Mandev and nearly started this thread myself. So many forum members and DCs attended their summer schools and workshops, seen the performances...

I know Ballet Cymru is a small company and Mandev wasn't as famous as maybe other principals but still - he was a great dancer.

I'm sorry, I'm shocked and sad.

My thoughts are with his family and with all his friends at Ballet Cymru.

Mandev was not only an inspirational teacher, wonderful performer but a kind and gentle man. .................

As I said above, I only met Mandev Sokhi once but I have a recollection that is entirely consistent with that observation.

When I visited Ballet Cymru on 3 Oct my car was parked alongside Mandev's in the company's car park and we walked to our vehicles together. He asked me what I planned to do for the rest of the afternoon and I replied that I would explore Newport, perhaps visit Caerleon and then drive back to Yorkshire. His expression changed as did his voice. "But that's such a long way" he said "are you sure?"

I assured him that I was quite used to the journey as I visit Newport frequently in  the course of my work and that I had driven down in just under 4 hours with a clear road that very morning.

"Well do drive carefully" he replied as we shook hands. 

As we went our separate ways I reflected on the courtesy and consideration of that charming young man.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...