Hammond Lower School finals

Mae989

My dd has also been accepted into The Hammond and will start in Year 7 in September. It's been quite a rollercoaster of emotions as initially she did not get one of the MDS places. However the school have offered us a fantastic bursary/scholarship instead, which due to our financial circumstances works out better than the MDS would! We are all very excited and proud of dd and she can't wait to start as Hammond was her first choice school!

Congratulations to everyone else with offers and look forward to getting to know you :-)

• Like 10

There is always hope for children on the reserve list. Hammond do indeed offer very generous bursaries. We turned down my dds MDS several years ago as she was better off with the schools own funding. My sister did exactly the same thing with her dd a year later. I am going back 8 years ago so the generous bursary might not be as generous any more.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I'm new to this group and new to the ballet world. My son was on the reserve list but then got offered a bursary of which I still couldn't afford. He is deverstated. Does anyone know if he will still have a chance or not?

Hi Loopy! When you say 'does he still have a chance'. Do you mean of making it as a dancer, as he cant go away to vocational school? If this is the case then it is certainly possible to make it without going to vocational school at 11 ( again, I assume he's 11).

There are many, many examples of children getting into vocational school at 16 who didn't go away before. Once they go at 16 (or 18) they may have a bit of catching up to do in terms of strength, but they are pretty much on a level playing field. With this said, they will have to work jolly hard to get in at 16 and as a mother of a DS who didn't go away till 14, it is very difficult to get the correct training for a boy to the correct level - lots of dance schools cater for girls at that level, not many can cope with a boy when there may be only 1 in the class. This, of course, depends where you live.

I always think that trying for a place for year 10 entry is very worthwhile. There always seem to be places, as some children often leave vocational school at this age. It's good for the child going in as they are more mature, have a greater understanding for themselves of what they are getting themselves into and get the benefit of an extra 2 years vocational study prior to the really important auditions at 16.

• Like 1

Hello, I'm new to this group and new to the ballet world. My son was on the reserve list but then got offered a bursary of which I still couldn't afford. He is deverstated. Does anyone know if he will still have a chance or not?

Do you mean a chance of receiving an MDS award ? If you do then the answer is yes he is . My dd received hers 6 days before the start of term , it came as a complete shock as I had put the chance of someone turning down their place at such a late stage right out of my mind .

Not all the MDS awards come from the same year and a pupil already at the school may decide not return in September.

Don't lose hope just yet ,fingers crossed you get a call in the coming weeks.

• Like 1

Loopy, could you speak to the bursar and explain your situation ? I have known of schools increasing the value of the original bursary offered. I have no idea if this would be possible of course, but , nothing ventured, nothing gained. All the best. x