Child won't practice at home

michelle52

Hi

Im new here. just wanted to know if any other parents out there have a child who will not practice at home?? My daughter is nearly 7 and does lots of dance and singing including competitions, but she wont practice. she always seems to do ok though so am trying not to worry about it.

Thanks

Mine would hardly ever practice at home and always did ok in exams. I think they thought that they did enough in class. Also depends on how much your child wants good marks in exams or to win in comps. Some childrens seem to know at a young age that they want dance to play a very important part in their life, others see it more as fun.

At 7 my daughter didn't practice at home but still got distinction... She decided to be more serious and does practice before exams now and do some stretches etc for only a few minutes most days but I don't think they recommend the DC practicing things too much at home in case they are doing things wrong and repeat bad habits they have to correct again at class.... I definitely wouldn't worry about it at 7 though, then and now my daughter dances down grocery aisles, across room to get a book, put away dishes etc, that is her main form of at home dance lol!

Hi Michelle52

Has your dd's teacher said to her about practising? It might be better coming from them than you.

My dd used to practise so much around the house for everything. Until she got her iPad at xmas and now she's obsessed with Instagram!!

I think they have got to want to do it for themselves though.

My dd has just got her last ballet exam results and was 2 marks away from a distinction. She knows it's because she didn't practise as much as she should have and it's been a bit of a kick up the bottom for her as her last 5 exams have all been distinctions.

I think all you can do is explain choices and encourage her but they learn for themselves espevially with comps :)

Guest Autumn days

Home practice for young dancers is generally discouraged by good teachers because it can led to bad habits or injury. A youngster is not able to know if they are doing it right or not.

Edited for typo

Edited by mum in a spin
  • Like 3

I agree. Seven is very young. Although my dd took several dance classes a week at 7, she also still did Brownies, swimming lessons, had friends round for tea etc. If I remember rightly the only thing I used to insist on was piano practice at that age. Not only would her teacher not have allowed or recommended practice at home at that age - for the reason muminaspin gives - I wanted her to have time for just playing, reading etc.

Plenty of time for practicing dance at home when they are old enough not to get into bad habits and if and when they take Vocational exams. :-)

• Like 4

My DS didn't start seriously doing extra stretching (or in fact anything at all other than laze around) in the holidays until he was around 16!!! I used to despair. Now he seems to have an unbelievable work ethic and is not only spending extra time in the studio and gym but also reading ballet books and biographies voraciously. I think they find their own way. I know there's a balance to be had (if you are paying for an activity you want them to get the best out of it) but at 7 I would err on the side of tolerance....

Edited by CeliB
  • Like 2

My DD never practices at home even now. Pilates, stretching, choreography yes but She has never done "ballet class" at home and I agree with the reasons above in terms of bad habits, injuries etc. She is 16 and has been at vocational ballet school since she was 11 but at home wanted to be a kid even though , as she would say, " ballet is her life!" I really don't think you need worry.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone, its reasuring to know yours isnt the only one! :) She does seem to do very well regardless. I definately agree that she is a child who has to do it off her own back or Im just nagging mum ;) I will try to just let it go and one day she may surprise me (like they often do) x

• Like 4

I agree that if she becomes serious about any hobby she will start to practice when she is mature enough to realise the benefits and 7 is probably a bit young.

I definitely wouldn't stress yourself about it. The bottom line is that it is a hobby for most of them......

• Like 1