America themed dances, help!

hfbrew

Basically, what it says on the topic title! Forthcoming show at one of the schools I work is based on America.

So far all I can think of is hoe downs, wild west (for my boys) and disney parade for little ones. Aaaagh!

Any ideas Anjuli? Anyone?

Eskimos - Alaska. Southern Belles - Florida and Georgia. Hula - Hawaii. Native American Indian - Indian Nations. Rockettes - New York.

Bob Fosse - Chicago.Showgirls - Las Vegas.

J x

Edited by Elliepops

I immediately thought of Aaron Copland's Hoedown :-)

If you want something slow and classical, John Barry's "Dances with Wolves - John Dunbar theme" is beautiful. Or Neil Diamond's "America" if it's for a more Modern dance.

Gerschwin. ENB has recently done a Strictly Gerschwin show and they did have some clips on the website I think, or some classic Hollywood like Top Hat, Singin in the Rain etc I also thought of West Side Story too. ENB are collaborating with Flawless so you could try a ballet/urban mix??

• Like 1

Well, folks - impressive! Not much I can add - maybe Sinatra's "Left my Heart in San Francisco"

Grand Canyon Suite

New York, New York

Take Me Out to the Ballgame (baseball) (for some Americans this is the REAL national anthem)

Yankee Doodle

You're a Grand Old Flag - George M.Cohan (but maybe too patriotic?)

Rodeo - Agnes de Mille choreographed to that

For many Americans the favorite song is "America the Beautiful"

• Like 1

The golf one is not as well known - at least to me.

Happy Days also has a political connotation - it's the song played at the Democratic Party convention.

another idea might be: Home on the Range

and I know it should be Yanky - but for some reason it's Yankee

I was also going to suggest Gerschwin - either Rhapsody in Blue or An American in Paris would be good for the older ones. Likewise a Fosse medley would work well for older dancers as would something to Taras theme from Gone With the Wind.

For little ones, something along a wild west theme maybe, or how about something from the Wizard of Oz?

No I realised when I spelt it it was wrong. Pressed post then was just about to correct it when the phone rang. Someone trying to sell me pet insurance:-) In this country "Happy Days" was just a great series. Mind you it is old so probably wouldn't resonate with youngsters today.

The golf song is Bing Crosby I guess from his great love of the game. I even know the tune. Why,I'm not sure:-)

Another idea American super heroes.

You'll regret asking.lol

Aaron Copland wrote music for a ballet of Billy The Kid (my old ballet teacher danced Billy with Joffrey when he was a Principal there) and the music is pretty cool (and very American-y!). There's a recording of the ballet suite on spotify by the New York Philharmonic: http://open.spotify....SxjLUpOnUjopuaV

Hope this helps!

Thankyou so much for all your trouble. And thanks everyone else too- I think I have enough material to fill two shows now, never mind the 10 dances I'm expected to produce! And its all in aid of charity too!
  • Like 1