Dance Bras?

anondancer_15

Hello lovely dance people! 

So i have a ballet show coming up and as per my teacher has bought costumes without considering those of us who need to wear a bra underneath... I have a gorgeous white ballet dress and the back of it is relatively low (though a normal bra could probably be hidden) and it has super thin straps.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any nude coloured bras that are strapless or have clear straps and aren't too bulky that would be okay under a white leo on stage? At an E/F cup no bra on stage prancing about really is not an option. 

Thanks in advance ;)

I know marks and Spencer's do nice ones that are clear back with multiway straps(it can also be worn strapless) I haven't tried it as it was too big for me, but a friend has one and she loves it. Also useful for if you're wearing something out and it had a bit of a low back☺️

I'm gonna try and go to m&s or even somewhere like bravissimo (though they can get v v expensive) during the week and see what i come across, really though my limit is about £30 which is so much for one single bra... 

i have obviously regular t-shirt/full cup everyday bras which fit me fine but don't in any way shape or form eliminate any bounce which isn't useful! 

I  find the 'dance' bras are never any use for controlling my boulders, so I just use the strapless ones from M and S. And not those ones with the really thin clear straps! I think the one I've got at the moment is this one (http://www.marksandspencer.com/strapless-multiway-bandeau-a-dd-bra/p/p22272059?colour=Natural). It has been surprisingly good for stopping bounce and it has covered any costume I've needed it to, but go in and try and try a load on to see what works for you. If you can, wear the leotard to try, then you'll know for sure! 

It always staggers me how inappropriate many leotards/costumes are for teenagers. The BBO vocational ballet leotard has a really low scooped back which is fine while DD doesn't need a bra but goodness knows what you're supposed to do when they do!

Of course they usually cover up with a top for lessons but at exam time it can look pretty ugly..... It doesn't exactly encourage the teenagers to keep dancing. It almost gives the message that if you have a bust you shouldn't be dancing. ....

• Like 3

i find dance bras really unsupportive because they tend to be just bits of really thin lycra/nylon and have no underwire or anything! it's not comfortable to have everything flying about never mind it not looking great! and then you get that mono-boob thing going on... 

i completely agree sarahw! i kinda went with that statement for a while but then thought hang on, i love what i'm doing so why should i stop because i have boobs that weren't exactly my choice to have?! :unsure:

• Like 1

I know, so many lovely leotards you can't wear a bra with :(

I always just get a flesh coloured multiway bra (& try different shops, Debenhams suits me whereas no sizes in La Senza are any good) try on loads & jump around a bit in the changing room to see how it is! Then just keep it for shows. I have also used masking tape before when needs must, stick on bras might be a better option now although the masking tape was pretty supportive!

• Like 1

I was talking about this yesterday at Move-it; leotard after leotard went back on the rack

Helpful comments like 'a really good leotard doesn't need a bra' or 'flesh coloured Bras can't been seen' don't help

My DD would be a 26E if they made Bras that size - but they don't so we make do

I take straps of cheap flesh/clear bras and attach them to more supportive expensive bras & I buy leotards that have a higher back (but lots of those have a high front too, which is a shame)

Dancers come in all shapes & sizes and I think dance/leotard manufacturers should take that into consideration when designing them & as for Sports bras? they could be so much more discrete - I have one (from the 80s) which is much less fabric, loads of support & can be hidden under a vest top

BTW a bra should fit really well round your ribs & then the straps are just extra for day to day use (not supporting) & essential when dancing

Edited by Katymac

Hi Anondancer_15, The brand Freya does a good sports bra in nude colour with underwiring. This is the best I've found so far for eliminating 'bounce'.

I've worn this bra before for a performance where the costume (not my choice!) had thin straps and I just cannot go without a bra! Fortunately, this bra didn't show up in the DVD recording so I hope this would work for you too.

I've never tried tape, so I would be curious to hear how that would work too!

• Like 1

I know very little about ballet, but I do know about bras.

Bravissimo will be great, but if what they suggest is too expensive you can always take down the size and reference number and go away 'to think about it', and have a google for cheaper online prices for exactly the same bra. Brastop, eBay, Amazon etc often have discounted bras. Bravissimo also have a 'wedding' selection of bras with no straps, adjustable or clear straps etc. I don't know how supportive they are, though.

Debrnhams is also worth a look, if you're small backed, as their 28 back sizes (in the Gorgeous range) are more like 26s, and so on up, so you effectively get more options in the smaller back sizes.

I personally think that M&S bras aren't very supportive in the larger sizes, as they seem to design them for smaller busted women and then not scale up the support when they make them larger. Plus they will probably try and sell you a bra which is six inches bigger around the back than you actually are (they have this weird old-fashioned measuring system).

• Like 3

I agree about M and S. I took our eldest dd there for her first proper bra. They fussed about and measured badly which meant she ended up with the wrong size for ages. I would not buy one of their bras even if you know the right size. All three of us find them extremely uncomfortable.

I think the Freya bra suggested here would be ok but the straps are huge and wouldn't look great under a strappy leotard. 

My M&S bras fit ok they just provide next to no support and as I dance everyday at school I tend to just live in ugly thick strapped sports bras. 

This is the best one I've found so far which may be ok for under my show costume however it's not padded so doesn't give a particularly flattering finish: http://www2.next.co.uk/x557276s1#782149x55but I'm pleasantly surprised by this from Next, of all places. I had one for the show last year I think but one of the loops where the straps attached snapped so I had to return it. My only other complaint is that they don't seem to sell any bigger than a D cup in stores. 

• Like 1

You can order different sizes in next and get it delivered free to store the next day if it's in stock:) bit biased because I work there but I've heard their bras are of good quality(again don't know myself because they don't do my size haha). Hope you find something suitable soon xx