Is someone out to get me? (Facebook Issues)

CharlieChuck

So after returning from the cinema with my mom and logged on to see a notification from Facebook saying somebody had reported my latest ballet video for Nudity. Again. 

Obviously there is no nudity in it but this is every video I have put up and I've tried contacting Facebook to find out who it was but they won't tell me because it's against their TOS and Data Protection and yet it doesn't strike them weird that somebody is reporting my videos for something it clearly doesn't have.

My Facebook is set on private so only my friends can see my videos so obviously it is someone on my friends list. I'm a naturally paranoid person (I've been broken into five times in the past two years and been stalked twice) and so this scares me, it doesn't help my anxiety at all to know that somebody I trust is doing this.

Thoughts?

How frustrating and unsettling for you, I hope the cause turns out to be some trivial technicality, but I suppose the first question to ask is whether you have any Facebook friends who would consider a dancer's costume offensive, or ballet itself indecent?

Next, are any of your friends youngsters whose parents might have set automatic filters on their computers which can't distinguish between dancers and the nasty stuff - if such a thing is possible, I don't actually know much about Facebook or computers.

In any case, it seems strange that Facebook are not able to intervene, assess and overrule on the grounds that the reporting is unjustified.

Edited by Grand Tier Left
  • Like 1

I read about a similar issue on another forum just the other day, from someone who had a friend report them for nudity. She was feeding her baby. The advice she got was that it wasn't a 'friend' but some sort of Facebook automatic recognition system that flagged up anything that looked as though it might contain nudity. Perhaps it's something to do with the leotard you're wearing. Hope this helps.

Hello CharlieChuck,

I have moved your new thread to "Not Dance" as it is more about your Facebook issues.

Have your videos actually been removed from your timeline?  Is there a right of appeal against reports (there surely must be?)?

Thank Janet, I keep forgetting about this forum.

No they haven't been removed, Facebook just keeps telling me they've been reported and that they've not been removed it's just the fact someone keeps reporting them. You can appeal but only if something has been removed or if you've been suspended or banned. It's stupid. 

How frustrating and unsettling for you, I hope the cause turns out to be some trivial technicality, but I suppose the first question to ask is whether you have any Facebook friends who would consider a dancer's costume offensive, or ballet itself indecent?

Next, are any of your friends youngsters whose parents might have set automatic filters on their computers which can't distinguish between dancers and the nasty stuff - if such a thing is possible, I don't actually know much about Facebook or computers.

In any case, it seems strange that Facebook are not able to intervene, assess and overrule on the grounds that the reporting is unjustified.

So far the only people I've came across are those who like my videos, all my friends and family are people I know (and trust in some cases) although I'm starting to think it maybe a technical issue unless I have misplaced my trust in someone. My mom said it could be jealousy. I'm only on facebook to keep in touch with my family across the water, without that I wouldn't have one. 

I read about a similar issue on another forum just the other day, from someone who had a friend report them for nudity. She was feeding her baby. The advice she got was that it wasn't a 'friend' but some sort of Facebook automatic recognition system that flagged up anything that looked as though it might contain nudity. Perhaps it's something to do with the leotard you're wearing. Hope this helps.

I'm wearing a dress with my tights and at one point you can see up it but you can't see anything revealing, everything is covered. I always wear extra layers underneath just in case.

Charliechuck, it looks as though you are far from alone: https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=facebook+video+%22reported+for+nudity%22&meta=&gws_rd=ssl

I don't know what the problem is, but perhaps reading some of these links may help you find out.

Hi Alison, thank's for the link I shall check it out now :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have had my Facebook account suspended because someone thinks I am not using my real name. I am and it has been my name for 35 years! It is just Facebook double speak for "someone has been nasty and reported you but we won't tell you who!" They want all sorts of very personal details so I reluctantly provided them with a photo of my driving licence - they claim they will delete details after verification (I wish I believed that!) but I still cannot access my Facebook page. If I am right about what has happened, I hope a plague of toads infest that person's house!

• Like 1